Buying HD DirecTiVo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by MagiCat, May 31, 2007.

1. MagiCat

MagiCat New Member

May 31, 2007

Advertisements

We've had 2 DirecTiVo units for our standard definition TVs for quite a well and just upgraded to an HD Television.

Salespeople at DirecTV are great, they convinced us that the DirecTV DVR is just as good as the TiVo. Now after a month, we want to through the thing into the Boise River after missing a couple of season finales and finding other things not recording.

How can we go about replacing this crap with an HD DirecTiVo? Is EBay a good source or are there better places. Are there multiple models to choose from and which one is the best (since I'm guessing there won't be more, this won't change over time).

Do we need to do anything to get DirecTV to accept us using the DirecTiVo HD? At this point we're talking about paying whatever we need to pay to get out of our contract and going with an S3 and HD Cable.

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Sure you can use a DirecTivo HD but it won't get any of the new HD channels and all current HD channels will also no longer be available on it within a couple years.

Choice is yours.

3. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    There's only one model of HD "TiVo" per se but there is also DirecTV's HD DVR. Similar functionality, different interface. But if you don't like the DirecTV DVR interface (is it the R15?) you won't like the HR20, it's essentially the same. I like it though. Took me a while to get used to it after a few years with the HD-TiVos but I like it. Some of the differences I find better, some worse, but all pretty minor and about even overall.

4. Jun 1, 2007 #4 of 18
    Matt L

Matt L Member

Aug 13, 2000
    Flushing, MI
    It might be cheaper to pick up a used HD TiVo on eBay then paying to get out of your contract, you'll have to decide that. You need to be aware that you wont get any of the "New" Hd channels D is promising, so factor that in. If you can get OTA HD you are that much better off if you go the TiVo route, but I'll bet that in time S3 will be looking much better to you.

5. Jun 1, 2007 #5 of 18
    annenoe

annenoe He's a Smooth Fox

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...

Advertisements

Before you invest in the HD Tivo from DirecTV, I strongly recommend you make sure you can receive live content via indoor or outdoor antenna. The only real HD content you will be able to depend on is via antenna so if you can't get signal, the HR10 is useless to you. As others have said, everything else is either currently or planned to be broadcast with a signal the HR10 *cannot* receive.

I do not know where you live, but not everyone can receive signals via antenna. If you haven't seen this yet: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
    I recommend you go to this website, enter your address and see what they recommend. This website will tell you exactly where the signals are being broadcast, i.e., location of towers and distance you are from towers. Then it will recommend an antenna (tho' you'll get lots of help here as well).

In my case, I ran out and bought a cheapy indoor antenna and hooked it up directly to my HD TV. Once I confirmed I could receive signal, I bought my HR10. Haven't regretted it for a moment.

6. Jun 1, 2007 #6 of 18
    cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    Use HDTV Magazine's tool instead. Antenna Web is 100% useless. It always tells you to get an antenna 10x larger than you need, and fails to list most digital stations. In Raleigh, it lists only *2* of the *9* digital stations; listing only 2 stations out of the *6* on the same tower. Maybe it works better for other DMA's, but from my chair, it looks like CEA is trying to drive up revenues on antennas.

Anyway, HDTV Mag's tool is a google maps app. I've not seen it miss or mislabel a transmitter yet.

7. Jun 2, 2007 #7 of 18
    gquiring

gquiring New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Matawan, NJ
    You are crazy to dump the D* DVR for the HR10-250. The HR10 is buggy as hell since the 6.x update. It also stops recording shows before they are done, audio dropouts and reboots. By the 4th quarter you won't be able to receive all the new HD channels coming to D* with the HR10.

8. Jun 2, 2007 #8 of 18
    appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    That's some blanket statement. I've never had a short recording, audio dropout, or unplanned reboot on either of my HR10s. There's no way to know for sure but I would bet the majority of HR10 owners would say the same thing.

9. Jun 2, 2007 #9 of 18
    reh523

reh523 New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Okay for the 100th time don't ask Mac questions on a Microsoft board.....go here!

10. Marino13

Marino13 New Member

Jan 16, 2007

Ditto! I have three and they work perfect.

11. Scott D

Scott D Active Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Pasadena, Texas
    You must hate TiVo. There are a lot of things TiVo can do the DirecTV's replacement can't. Last I heard, you are only allowed 50 season passes or whatever DTV calls theirs. TiVo is unlimited. I also am not forced to waste precious disk space for movies on demand of which I don't want to watch. Those were the two big turnoffs for me.

My recorder is my choice on how I want to use it. I don't want to be told how and when I can use it. If I don't want a feature, I'll turn it off, such as the TiVo suggestions. I like customizations that you can do. Not presets.

12. gquiring

gquiring New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Matawan, NJ
    To make the statement is amazing. There are so many folks with issues (this forum is enough proof) I find it hard to believe that you NEVER had an audio glitch or reboot with 6.x.

13. gquiring

gquiring New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Matawan, NJ
    So I should love Tivo because I have constant audio dropouts, reboots while watching my favorite shows like Idol and 24 and should not care that my favorite show is missing the last 10 minutes :confused:

14. timb2112

timb2112 New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    NEVER!!!!!

15. timb2112

timb2112 New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Sounds like YOU should get on eBay and replace your HR10.

16. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I'd switch to cable and the S3... oh wait I already did!

17. annenoe

annenoe He's a Smooth Fox

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...
    100% useless? Bullcrap. You don't need to use the recommendation. You can use it to get an idea of direction (is there a huge mountain between you and the main signal source) and distance. It worked perfectly for me.

18. Rodney

Rodney TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Jan 26, 2002
    The...
    It is quite interesting to see that the vocal minority is taken as everyone. I have two HR10-250's, and I do not have the audio glitch or the reboot issue on either of them, running 6.3d. People don't usually post saying they are not having problems, but they will quickly post if they do experience issues. It is just a fact of life.