Buying DTiVo's with 6.2

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by SmackDaddy, Jan 26, 2006.

1. SmackDaddy

SmackDaddy New Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Stamford, CT
    Is anybody in the business of selling DTiVo's that come preloaded with 6.2? I'm moving to a new house and rather than run additional lines (for second tuner) to numerous outlets around the house, I was thinking of buying some of the Series 2's that are floating around and get them upgraded.

I don't have time to learn how to upgrade, so I'm willing to pay $$ to someone to either upgrade them for me or buy boxes that are already upgraded.

I know - lazy. But with all I'm dealing with right now, it's the right answer.

Thoughts?

2. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    Buy one with 3 on it and let it call in and upgrade to 6.2 by itself.?

3. SmackDaddy

SmackDaddy New Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Stamford, CT
    Sorry for the confusion - I'm looking for buy DTivo's preloaded with HMO. Does anybody sell such items? I'm looking for 3-4 of these machines.

Also, has anyone installed HMO on the HR10-250 yet?

4. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    You won't find anybody selling pre-hacked DTiVos with HMO because the software tools needed to do the hack come with a EULA stating that you can't use the tools for commercial gain.

5. SmackDaddy

SmackDaddy New Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Stamford, CT
    What about some hack doing it on the side? ;)

6. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    You can't hack a HDTivo to have HMO or MRV. The functions have to be embedded in the software before you can enable them. We can do this with the DTivos since they use basically the same software as the standalone models but the functions are't enabled out of the box. They can be turned on by patching the tivoapp file, among other things.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Most of the people sellining those pre-hacked DVRs, drives, and whatever, are selling them on the side, and that action os whait is against the licenses for much of the software.