Buying an S3 on Ebay. Question before I purchase about Lifetime Tfx.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by peejaygee, Jan 27, 2012.

1. peejaygee

peejaygee New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Ok, so I've got a Tivo Series 1, which I bought from Ebay, I have Comcast and slowly the channels I watch are dwindling, so I figured it's that time of year when the IRS give me some money back....

So I look on Ebay to go for a S3, as it can have a 'M' card put in (and possibly network connectivity) and I'll be able to get the channels back from Comcast, so I look around and on Ebay, I see S3 with Lifetime Subscription..

Now here is where the confusion comes in and Google searches and searching in this forum has got me really confused...

Am I right in reading Tivo charge $199 to tfx a lifetime Sub? so if I buy a S3 on Ebay for $300, then another $200 to tfx lifetime? or am I mis-reading?

When I got my S1, the owner notified Tivo, then I notified Tivo and bam, it was done.

What is the definitive answer before I go and spend my money on Ebay?

Thanks for your advice on this and I apologize if I'm repeat a previous asked question, but the 'search' option in this forum didn't return any results that I can sit down and think... 'Yeah thats easy!'

Regards

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Unless there has been a recent change (which I doubt), TiVo doesn't charge anything to transfer a Tivo with lifetime service from one owner to another. Lifetime service is on the box, not the owner.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Also, be sure *which* series 3 you mean. The ORIGINAL series 3 needs TWO cable cards, regardless of type S or type M. (You can of course use it WITHOUT cable cards only for OTA or analog cable, but that's essentially the same as what you're getting with your S1s)

I can't give a definitive answer either, but I thought some people WERE having some kind of strange fee to transfer tivos between people..

4. peejaygee

peejaygee New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Guys, thank you both for the advice...

The one I was thinking of buying is the TCD652160....

Unless either of you can think of a better suggestion, just a simple way of getting the 'm' card into a tivo, so me and the wife can record our shows, updates via the internet would be a bonus, the device would be right next to a lan port and I have a wireless network...

But we don't want to break out bank account...lol

5. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    A TCD652160 only needs 1-Mcard, so you're OK on that score.

As far as transfer of a TiVo with lifetime - I've never heard any fee involved. There certainly wasn't one when I sold one of my TiVos with lifetime to a friend but if I were you I would call TiVo directly and ask them. The only transfer fee I've ever heard of involving lifetime service was TiVo letting someone transfer the service from a dead TiVo to a replacement for a reduced fee, but they don't do that very often and is purely at their discretion.

6. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I can tell you that as of last October and November, I purchased S3 platform TiVo's from Ebay (in GREAT cosmetic condition, by the way that really do look like new) all with Lifetime and there was NO FEES. All I did was call TiVo, give them the number of the unit and they saw that it did, indeed have Lifetime and they went ahead and transferred it. In once case the gal had already released that TiVo from her account. In another, the CSR just went ahead and put it on my account with no notice from the original owner.

My advice for you buying on ebay: PLEASE be careful and only buy from those who have 100% or near feedback with more than just a few feed backs. The more feed backs the better, and read those feed backs. Also, only purchase units that have CLEAR pictures of the actual units, not stock photos. If they haven't posted pics of the actual unit, contact the seller and ask them to do so. They often will provide or post good quality photos--if they are honest--so that you can clearly judge the cosmetic condition, and if the posted actual photos aren't clear enough, contact the seller to provide CLEAR pics and watch out for shipping charges that are just too high to make sense. Most of the honest people either include shipping or charge the reasonable market rate of approximately $12 or so.

While I had THREE great positive experiences nabbing EXTREMELY well cared for S3 platform TiVo's and a brand new one, I did make a mistake and got lured by a low price from a seller who cliamed it was a "lightly used TiVo for only 2 months. While I had asked for pictures, I made the mistake of buying the unit with his never having responded to my request for pictures. To keep it short, he flat-out lied as the unit was filthy, had a dent and damage on the front display and has TONS of dust at the fan that was clearly a whole LOT MORE than 2 months of use.

I was able to use Ebays guarantee and they got my money back, so you can purchase with some confidence. There are a lot of good people on Ebay who are honest in the description and pictures and are selling in decent shape fully functional TiVo's along with those who are honest about some damage or only good for parts. Just get lots of pictures and even exchange and email with the seller to see if you feel comfortable make the bid.

Good luck.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Also check the eBay Auction Central section in this forum for TiVo community users that have put their TiVos on Ebay.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=7&f=68

Or there might be someone on the site that is planning on selling a unit and you can get together for the seller to avoid the ebay fees which can also lower the sale price too. I've sold a few to fellow TiVo Community members. And also sold some on eBay.
    None for sale now though.

8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    A Series 1 can be set up to control a cable box or a free DTA from Comcast. This will allow you to record the digital channels but the recordings will still be standard definition.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Can an S1 handle SDV?

10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That would be up to the cable box. S1's don't do digital on their own.

11. rayik

rayik New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Just want to add, I've bought TIVOs with lifetime service from ebay. TIVO transfered the box to my account with no problem.

However, that transfered TIVO (with lifetime) does not Count towards MSD. In order for a box to serve as a qualifying box for MSD, you must have paid for service on that box. Thus, if the transfered tivo (with lifetime) is the only box on your account, you will not get MSD for any aquired boxes.

12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    My first TiVo was a used Philips S1 on which someone else had paid for lifetime.

My second was a used Sony S1 on which someone else had paid for lifetime.

My third was an S2 DT on which the monthly subscription had been cancelled.

When I subscribed it, I got the MSD rate of $9.95 per month.

I've since acquired 2 already lifetimed single tuner S2s, another unsubbed S2 DT and an unsubbed S3 HD, and I'm paying $9.95 per month on those 2 as well.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Was the Tivo that you bought on ebay with lifetime a Series 1, 2, 3, or 4 TiVo?

Why I ask is that in order for a lifetime Tivo to be used to get MSD on another Tivo someone has to have paid full price for lifetime at the time it was purchased (currently $499). For most Series 1 or 2 TiVos the person who paid for lifetime on the Tivo likely paid full price, for most Series 3 or 4 TiVos it is likely they did not.

I have 4 boxes with lifetime but I only paid full price for lifetime on 1 of them (my old Series 2). If I removed the Series 2 from my account I would no longer qualify for MSD, even though I paid for lifetime on all three of my other TiVos.

So it is likely that you purchased a TiVo that someone had not paid full price for the lifetime on it, which is why it doesn't qualify you for the MSD rate on your next TiVo.

14. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I didn't know the S1 was able to record and playback HD content....

15. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    It can't. Analog cable isn't HD.

An S3 or S4 can actually record "clear QAM" digital cable channels w/o a CableCARD but you get no guide data.

16. rayik

rayik New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Thank you for the information. Learned something new.

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It can't, but as the later poster made clear, a S3/TivoHD/Premiere (but not Elite) without a cablecard is essentially a S2DT.. You can MANUALLY record QAM channels, but that's (1) a pain and (2) not the way the Tivo was intended to be used. (Don't get me wrong, I actually did it a very few times..)

18. peejaygee

peejaygee New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I'm now a little bit confused, so if I've got a S1 and it's in my name (which I originally bought of Ebay), I now can't get a S3 (with lifetime) as I have something registered to me?

Hmmmm, I'm confused...

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I really have no idea how you reached that conclusion. Let's go back to your original question. If you're talking about transferring lifetime service from one TiVo to another, you can't. If you're talking about transferring ownership of an S3 with lifetime service to you, TiVo does not charge a fee for that. You add the TiVo to your account and you would have both the existing S1 and the newly acquired S3 on it. No problem.

20. peejaygee

peejaygee New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Blame the beers..:confused:

but thank you for that definitive answer.

All I know now is that when I get the money (thanks to the IRS, even though it is technically my money anyhow), I'll be ordering a S3 on Ebay, the contacting comcast to get my M-Card... :p