buying a used tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jerkwadbrown, Dec 10, 2011.

1. jerkwadbrown

jerkwadbrown New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    My in-laws have a s2 with one year left of a three year service. I wanted to get them a premiere for christmas, but the year left of their service can't be transferred to it which seems a waste. (Plus, 20 bucks/month seems awfully steep) I was thinking of getting them a used tivo HD instead, but I read that if I do, I have to make sure that the tivo isn't still under contract, otherwise I would have to pay $150-$200 in early cancellation fees. Is this true? And if so, do you guys have any suggestions on the best place to buy one where I can be assured that the service has expired?
    Thanks!

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Ask for the service number of the Tivo you want to purchase and then contact Tivo customer support to see if you can transfer service to the new Tivo.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Try amazon.com

4. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Look on Ebay. Most people that have them listed there will give you the service number, or even have a pic of it on the auction. That way you can call and check it if you want to.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I was under the impression that contractual obligations remain with the person no matter what happens to the hardware unless they're able to convince both TiVo and a prospective buyer to go along with a transfer.

I understand that satellite receivers, on the other hand, are bound to contracts that disqualify a particular box from service until all past due monies are paid (apparently most of the time that's from pay per view stuff).

6. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    I wouldn't trade my S3 for an HD unit. imnsho, it's not a trade up.

Now a S3 to a Premier, that's another story.

7. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    One advantage (cheaper cableco fee) for the HD is it takes a single Multistream CableCARD rather than two. The S3 cannot handle the M-card.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you replying to a comment that has since disappeared or did the OP originally say S3 and by the time everyone else saw it had quickly edited it to S2?

Because I'm not seeing where anyone suggested going from an S3 to an S3 HD.

9. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I wouldn't trade my S3 for an HD, Premiere, or an Elite. The extra bells and whistles that have been added hold no interest for me. The extra features on the S3 that have been eliminated from the later models are far more useful. The S3 is the only model that I'm aware of that actually displays which shows are currently being recorded on the front panel display. THX certification is an added bonus, but not really a requirement.

Tivo makes it harder for end users to upgrade the hard drive with each successive model. One of the primary reasons I chose Tivo over other DVRs was the ability to upgrade the drive and hack it for more features. Many of the features we used to hack into the unit have now become standard so that part of the equation isn't as important anymore. However, upgrading the hard drive is a huge plus. Tivo has made that increasingly difficult, if not almost impossible with the latest models. To that I say, no thank you.

10. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    OK, new rule, no posting before coffee :eek:

thanks for the catch. the original post makes much more sense now