Buying a Premiere on Craigslist - questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Alvysyngr, May 4, 2011.

1. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    There is someone selling a Premiere for like $60 on Craigslist - this is an ok deal from what I see (eBay has them for like $80-$100) and another is selling the WD DVR expander 500gb for $75 - will the expander work with the Premiere?

Also, I have two Tivos already, on S2 and one s3, I pay like $12.95/mo for one and pay about $100/yr for the S3 - Will the Premiere be $19.99 for current users or is that only for newbies? As a dedicated user for about 10 years I hope to just swap one out without raising the cost. Anyway, thanks in advance

2. rfryar

rfryar My Media, My Way

Feb 15, 2008
    Cottage...
    These are probably the TPs that were sold on Amazon for $49 and require the $19/month plans. Be leery if you want to upgrade to lifetime or a multibox plan.

Rick

3. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    It's a used box

Would the expander work?

4. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    It's a used box

Would the expander work?

5. rfryar

rfryar My Media, My Way

Feb 15, 2008
    Cottage...
    The expander should work, however I usually just upgrade the hard drive directly. It is a much cheaper option and if you keep the original hard drive you can always put it back if you need warranty service.

Rick

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Get the TSN from them - call Tivo - ask what the status of that TSN is and what sub plans are available for that TSN. Also make sure you ask if there's any balance or anything.

If they bought the Tivo *before* the new pricing came in, you SHOULD be exempt and able to get whatever on it. That's how I got lifetime on a $40 thrift store Premiere XL recently. The key is to not do anything until you talk to Tivo on the phone about that TSN.

Oh, and if you're at all hardware-inclined, just upgrade the hard drive yourself. The extender SHOULD work, though. Major drawback is that if either the Tivo drive or the extender drive fails, all your recordings go kapoots.