Buyer Beware - Premier Ongoing Problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Sierra8888, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Feb 14, 2011 #1 of 103
    Sierra8888

Sierra8888 New Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I have been a Tivo owner since 2003 with a Series 2 DVR. I never had a single problem with it and loved everything about Tivo until I bought the Premier.

My problems began the day it arrived in November 2010 and continue to this date. The picture froze the first night I was watching and had to do a hard reboot. At first I naturally thought it was normal as it was downloading many updates. The second night I watched it the same thing happened, picture froze when I pressed the Tivo button.

Long story short I have spent countless hours with Tivo phone support and a new box was even sent to me, I have tried plugging it in with ethernet wire and it froze even though Tivo assured me the only reason it would freeze is a bad wireless connection.

After 3.5 months of owning the box it STILL freezes, I am so disapointed.

I would like to save anyone time and tell you that I have read every tip and have spent much time with Tivo support so I do not think a 'fix' exists other than stable software.

Tivo please make a better product.

2. Feb 14, 2011 #2 of 103
    johnner1999

johnner1999 Guest

Oct 26, 2002
    I agree both of my S4 boxes pretty much are slugs and love to GROD! I could use the the SD menus. But thats like buying a new car with faulty ac, and the dealer says roll down the windows.

Just saying

Still want to see TiVo make it.

3. Feb 14, 2011 #3 of 103
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I am with you about the s4

4. Feb 14, 2011 #4 of 103
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Why haven't you replaced it under warranty:confused:.

I have five Premieres and mine do not freeze.

5. Feb 14, 2011 #5 of 103
    Sierra8888

Sierra8888 New Member

Feb 14, 2011
    It was replaced under warranty once.

My point in posting above is to warn people about this shabby product. Having children that watch cartoons and the screen freezing/turning black is so frustraing, the machine takes several minutes to reboot.

I'm glad to have the old SD Series 2 as a backup.

6. Feb 14, 2011 #6 of 103
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Then something is not right. None of my Premieres freeze, if they did I would have replaced them. Maybe it's another issue or you got another bad box.

7. Feb 14, 2011 #7 of 103
    Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    And I was coming to this forum from the Series 3 forum to see if it's time to put my 3 yr old Series 3 (with a 3 mo. old 1TB drive) on and old TV, and pull the trigger for a new Premiere XL w/ Lifetime.

Answer I got very quickly is - "not yet".

8. Feb 14, 2011 #8 of 103
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    My Premiere doesn't freeze either. It reliably records; It reliably plays back. Those with problems are more vocal (in any forum). Those without problems are labeled "fanboi" or some other (perceived) derogatory label.

9. Feb 14, 2011 #9 of 103
    curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    All three of our Premieres are subject to freezing or at least very lengthy delays depending on what you ask it to do. Just yesterday we had one of them apparently completely crash with black screens on both tuners and black backgrounds on the menus. Pulled the plug after waiting 15 minutes. Turns out both tuner were recording just fine, but you couldn't see it. Some component had crashed or frozen in the UI making what it was doing not visible. First time for this particular error, but it was just another day in unfinished Premiere land for us.

BTW, this was on the SD interface, too.

TiVo doesn't care about their owners anymore. They only care about making more media and content provider deals for a platform that is rapidly turning into suck.

10. Feb 15, 2011 #10 of 103
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I have one TiVo HD that is slightly flaky - I can understand the frustration. I also have a premiere that runs great with HD menus. Not all premieres break down

I have seen some posts on folks setting their TiVo to the native resolution of the TV and dropping the other resolutions. IF the TiVo is constantly changing its output resolution for various content it could have some of the symptoms mentioned in the OP

11. Feb 15, 2011 #11 of 103
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Lucky you :).

12. Feb 15, 2011 #12 of 103
    wolfmeiister

wolfmeiister Kommander Kaos

Feb 3, 2011
    nyc

I agree - this made a HUGE difference for me! I set the ONLY output format to 1080i, and now my HD menus are slow, but usable. It was my TV that was choking on the constantly changing resolutions. Just try it!

13. Feb 15, 2011 #13 of 103
    blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    I second that. I had similar problems with my TivoHD early on, where different menus or programs would cause the screen to "freeze", go black or just look like snow. Setting the output to a fixed resolution for the TV made all of that go away.

I also have a Premiere and it does not experience any of the problems you describe.

14. Feb 15, 2011 #14 of 103
    krusir

krusir New Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Exactly.... I am a TiVo user since S1 .... Philips box.

I am running in "roll down the windows" because AC does not work mode. With SD menu and UI, it works perfect and could not be happier. I just treat it as a non-AC car.... haha.

TiVo, please make it right.

15. Feb 15, 2011 #15 of 103
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Experiences with the Premiere are very hit-or-miss. Some people have good luck others have nothing but trouble. Generally my experiences have been good with my two units with only a handful of HDUI issues (only twice needing a full reboot).

Personally, I think it's all network related. I think the HDUI is intolerant of network failures. I bet if I threw a random packet drop simulator inline between the Tivo and router that I'd be able to reproduce the various lockups that other users are seeing. As it is, my network connection is rock solid, so I have few issues.

Tivo needs to fix it. It's just a DVR, displaying a menu should degrade gracefully when internet issues present, not lockup the box.

16. Feb 15, 2011 #16 of 103
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    This is the case with the majority of people. Most people do not have freezing issues.

17. Feb 15, 2011 #17 of 103
    smbaker

May 24, 2003
    A strong assertion... do you have data to back it up?

The following poll indicates otherwise: http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=446624

Only 15% reported never experiencing a lockup. Granted, it's non-scientific, and biased in favor of users with problems since those users are more likely to find their way to the forum, but it's the closest thing to real data I could find.

18. Feb 15, 2011 #18 of 103
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    And this is data to back up that most people have problems? It's certainly unscientific, and people with issues are more vocal than people that have no problems.

Besides if you really want to go by the poll it shows that over 87.5% has had no problems or one lockup. One lockup is no big deal. It's when you consistently have issues that is a problem.

And it shows over 24% had one lockup and then switched to the SDUI and has had no lockups since. For all we know if they had stayed with the HDUI they would have not had any more lockups. The poll only shows 12.5% that are continuing to have lockups, but it is also only with the SDUI. There also is no option in the poll for people running the HDUI and multiple lockups so already it is missing data.

But if you want to go by the poll, only 12.5% have continuing issues, which is nowhere near the 50.1% needed for a majority.

19. Feb 15, 2011 #19 of 103
    smbaker

May 24, 2003
    The 48% result says "at least one lockup", not "one lockup". It could be these people are experiencing frequent daily lockups, or it could be they've experienced only one lockup. There's no way to conclude this from the data supplied.

The other two options are for people who switched to SDUI. Switching to SDUI does not imply a trouble-free box. It's an HDUI box and is expected to function in HDUI.

Regardless, the poll does show that about 85% of respondents experienced one or more lockup. That is a majority. One lockup is already too many. The box shouldn't lockup at all.

I agree there isn't enough to conclude that most people experience lockups because the poll isn't scientific, but I assume you'd also have to agree that youir statement that most people do not experience problems also cannot be substantiated.

20. Feb 15, 2011 #20 of 103
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I agree that the poll is poorly designed and not scientific. However, it does NOT indicate "one lockup", it says "at LEAST one lockup". Huge difference.

And for all we know they had a lockup after they took the poll and can't change their vote. Or everything was fine (like it was for me) until they starting having freezes and such with 14.7.

No. 48% said they had AT LEAST one lockup but they continue to use the HDUI anyway. That implies nothing is fixed for them. Add to that the 12% still having lockups in SDUI and that is a total of 60% that potentially have continuing issues. And that is without them being able to change their votes.

I would really love to see a much better designed poll- but the forum poll format doesn't allow sophisticated-enough options to make that happen.