Burning TTG to DVD

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jimc17702, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Jan 3, 2006 #1 of 32
    jimc17702

jimc17702 New Member

Jan 3, 2006

Advertisements

Pardon my ignorance! Does anyone know if there is any other software that will allow you to burn to DVD other than "My DVD from Sonic Solutions"? I have a number of shows I would like to archive and I would like to transfer some shows to DVD to watch on my Portable DVD while traveling.

Thanks in advance for the help...

2. Jan 3, 2006 #2 of 32
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I use Nero.

3. Jan 3, 2006 #3 of 32
    jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Do you have to convert the .tivo file to an unprotected mpg first or can Nero burn .tivo file?

4. Jan 3, 2006 #4 of 32
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    In theory you won't have to convert it to an unprotected .mpg. Occasionally though, there are problems, which is when you would want to. I've had pretty good luck.

5. Jan 3, 2006 #5 of 32
    kryptohaze

kryptohaze New Member

Nov 11, 2005

Advertisements

Nero works fine for me also.... Some tips though if you dont have the full version of nero and you are going to attempt to download from lime wire, watch the file size before you download, and if something has a "key generator" included that is good.

6. Jan 3, 2006 #6 of 32
    jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Some tips if you still use limewire - stop immediately and learn about bit torrents (or make sure you are using an older spyware free version of limewire). I didn't even know people still used that app.

7. Jan 4, 2006 #7 of 32
    c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    I am new to the site and have just hooked up my home network. I downloaded the trial version of MyDVD but it kept crashing. I have read that some of you use Nero. How can I do that. I am a novice when it comes to computer files. Can someone please break it down for me, preferably step by step; I would forever be in your gratitude.

8. Jan 4, 2006 #8 of 32
    hitech_rednek

hitech_rednek Extreme Tech Weenie

Apr 30, 2005
    Eastern PA
    First, check out this thread:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=3644245#post3644245

The VideoRedo program works really well at converting the .tivo files to MPEG or VOB for burning to DVD. I used to use Nero to re-code the videos but it takes forever.

Here is the process if you use VideoRedo and Nero:

1. Download show(s) to PC using TiVoDesktop
    2. Open .tivo file in VideoRedo
    3. Use the Ad-Detective feature to mark and cut out commercials if desired
    4. Save to VOB file
    5. Repeat if you are putting multiple shows/episodes on one DVD
    6. Use a DVD Authoring program to create the DVD and menu if desired (I'm using DVDStyler mentioned in the above thread - not sure if Nero will author with VOB files. If not and you want to use Nero, you can probably save the files as MPEG instead)
    [Edited to add this part]: DVDStyler is not very self-explanatory, what you need to do is set its Configuration to point at the folder where you saved the VOBs. Then you drag the ones you want down to the 'timeline' at the bottom in the order you want them, if more than one title. To create the menu, you click the "Buttons" tab on the left, then drag a button onto the menu screen at the right, right-click and edit each button's properties to change the text and which title that button will start playing. You can also import an image as the menu background.
    7. Save the authored DVD as an ISO image if using DVDStyler, then burn using Nero or whatever.

I'm actually burning my first one right now so I can't check to see if Nero can author with the VOB files. My experience with Nero authoring is that it wants to re-code everything and takes forever but I could be doing something wrong...

9. Jan 5, 2006 #9 of 32
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...

For shame! :thumbsdown:

10. sljack63

sljack63 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    I tried to record the Rose Bowl but only padded by 1/2 hour and missed the ending. I have the Tivo set to record the replay on ESPN classic. If the replay does not include certain bits (like the B-1 flyover), I want to cut out that portion of the video from the original recording and put it with the replay recording. I also have recorded some of the award presentation after the game finished that I'd like to tack on at the end of the replay.

I have Sonic MyDVD LE that came with my new Dell. It will open the Tivo files, but it will not allow me to trim clips or edit them. It says I have to upgrade to MyDVD Deluxe to the tune of $59 - I think NOT. This program is just not worth the money if you ask me.

I also have Pinnacle System Studio 10. This program will allow me to trim clips and string different video files together to make one continuous video. However, it will not import .tivo files.

Here are the files it will import:

• AVI Files
    • MPEG Files - MPEG 1 and MPEG 2 (SD & HD)
    • WMV Files
    • DIVX SD
    • .MOD (JVC Everio cameras)
    • 3GPP Files

So here are my questions:

Does VideoRedo allow you to trim video (cut out parts) and can I make one continuous video with different parts of different .tivo files? If not, can I output the .tivo files in a format (as listed above) that Studio 10 supports?

FYI, I also have Nero, but I haven't not loaded on the pc and am not familiar with the program.

TIA

11. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    VideoRedo will definately let you cut out parts. I am not sure if you can paste together different clips or not.

I use VR to clip out commercials, then save the edited file to MPEG-2 format. (Basically just resaving it, since .tivo files are MPEG-2) Once you had the different .mpg files you could use any software you like to paste them back together.

12. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    I downloaded VR and DVDStyler so that I can burn with Nero. I used vr to save a .tivo file as a vob but when I open dvdstyler, I don't know what to do next. How do I import the VOB file into DVD styler? I seem to be stuck here. I would greatly appreciate some help. Thanks.

13. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Hmmm... What I would do (and do do), is using VR to edit commercials and save edited file as .mpg (not VOB).

Then using Nero Vision Express 3 to make DVD-Video from that .mpg file. This is called authoring a DVD.

Sounds like you are trying to use "Nero Burning Rom" and just dropping VOB on a DVD data disc. Not gonna work that way.

Not sure what DVDStyler is, but is sounds like an unnecessary step. NVE will allow you to make DVD menu and chapters.

Greg

14. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    Thanks alot. I'll give it a try and report back.

15. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I see DVDStyler is a DVD authoring program in itself.

Do you have Nero Vision Express (the full version w/ the DVD-Plugin?, some OEM versions of Nero lack this) If you do, you can avoid using DVDStyler. Otherwise, yes, I could see why you may wanna go that route and then use it's output with Nero Burning Rom.

You're flying solo with that I'm afraid. :)

16. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    I do have NVE. So I may not need DVD styler

17. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Do you have the full edition Nero Ultra? Or an OEM version that came bundled with your burner? They are not created equal.

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/SWW12252.html

18. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    I don't know. It came with pre-installed in my computer when I purchased it.

19. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    Yes. It was a success. Thanks Greg. i was able to bypass the dvdstyler step and go directly from VR to Nero. I burned my first copy and it played on both of my DVD players. I saved my tivo file as a mpg on VR and then used Nero Vision Express to author it and burned it with Nero. Sure is a relief after dealing with MYDVD and having it crash on me everytime. Thank You one million times!

20. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    About how long does it take for a Disc to burn using Nero? I burned a 30 min show at basic quality using the Nero Vision Express and it took less than an hour but when I burned a 2 1/2 hour show at best quality it took 10 HOURS!!!. Is that normal or is there a way to alter the file some way to make it burn faster?