burning transfered programs

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rowdycajun, Dec 20, 2004.

1. rowdycajun

rowdycajun New Member

May 13, 2002
    Houston, TX

Advertisements

I have the Humax w/ DVD burner and a TiVo Series 2. When I transfer programs from the Series 2 to the Human and try to burn to DVD it says that the format is not compatible. Am I doing something wrong or is it not an option? If so then I am very disappointed in my purchase.

Thanks

2. mikebridge

mikebridge Member

Sep 18, 2000
    Plainfield, IL
    its not an option, standalone series2 do not save stuff in a DVD compatible format, and there is no current way to convert it to the proper format on the tivo. you also cannot (currently) transfer shows from another dvd burner unit and burn them (does not transfer all necessary meta-data), but this might be resolved in the future.

3. drdebug

drdebug New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Hampton Roads
    I just found out this 'fact' for myself-- the HUMAX will not burn to it's DVD any program transferred over from a Series 2 Tivo.

This was one of the reasons I shelled out $700.00 for the dad-gummed HUMAX in the first place!!!! And no, I am not in the pirate game-- I just want to archive a few programs for my own use.

What really burns me is that Nowhere, NOWHERE is this fact stated! I've searched the Tivo site, went through the HUMAX Tivo manual, and I saw nothing on this.

Doesn't Tivo (or HUMAX) realize that people with more than one Tivo may just want to archive some programs that were recorded on other Tivos? And now they are finding out that it just won't work. Maybe this is just another TIVO marketing conspiracy to get people to buy more than one HUMAX!!

I highly suggest that NOBODY buy a HUMAX until it can burn a DVD of a program transferred from a Series 2. If you think it can do this, well, you just got tricked like we did.

I'm ticked off.

4. illuminations25

illuminations25 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    Originally...
    It does say that programs from Series 2 recorders that have been transferred to the DVD Recorder can NOT be burned to a DVD.

On Tivo's site if you look at the PDF files of the manual that came with your recorder, go to page 61 and it's the second bulleted point under "What Can Be Saved."

5. drdebug

drdebug New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Hampton Roads

Advertisements

Concerning the exceptional outstanding fact that the HUMAX will not burn DVDs of programs transferred from a Series 2 TIVO:

To discover this warning, all I had to do was:

(A) find that PDF document on the TIVO web site and wade through it, looking for the warning that we could not transfer programs and burn DVDs from them;

or

(B) Go out and actually buy the HUMAX and then READ the entire booklet to find out the transfers are not burnable. Of course, then the HUMAX was already in my hands, so now what?

Remember, this IMPORTANT WARNING is a mere TWO FRIGGIN' LINES of TEXT in either document. It is NOT in bold print on the shipping box or in flashing neon lights on the web page. It is NOT a well known fact that may GREATLY influence a buyer's decision to purchase a HUMAX.

Had I known this, I wouldn't have shelled out $700.00 for the HUMAX at all!

Don't get me wrong, I love my TIVOs (all 4 that are in my house, networked together). I replaced one of those TIVOs with a HUMAX so I could transfer and archive some programs. Finding out that I couldn't was a huge disappointment. I am still ticked off.

To all you potential HUMAX buyers-- if you are planning to get a HUMAX so you can transfer programming to it from your networked Series 2 boxes for the purpose of burning a DVD, save your money!! It won't work! DON'T BUY THE HUMAX UNTIL THIS PROBLEM IS RESOLVED!

6. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain Your Hero

Aug 15, 2004
    Austin
    Well, you could take it back.

7. Redbeard911

Redbeard911 New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    We had the same issue, but have found more than enough to burn to DVD after getting our burner. Some of the shows we wanted to transfer over appeared again anyway.

KEEP THE BURNER...KEEP THE BURNER

:D

8. Jan 2, 2006 #8 of 10
    ymeworry

ymeworry New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Long time reader, first time poster...

Was this issue ever resolved? I too just got one of those DVD burners using my tivo rewards points. Now after transfering shows to the dvd burner I'm stuck at the "incompatible format" screen

Does anyone know any work arounds?

9. Jan 2, 2006 #9 of 10
    drdebug

drdebug New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Hampton Roads
    Yes, I found a way around my HUMAX problem of it not being able to burn DVDs of programs transferred to it from a normal Series 2 TIVO.

I just got Tivo-to-go. Now I download everything from my TIVOs to my computer, and burn to a DVD burner there. (I use Sonic MyDVD; if anyone has anything better, please let me know).

All the HUMAXs do now is just play rental or bought DVDs.

--drdebug

10. campbelld3

campbelld3 New Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Ok, I am getting in on this late, I know, but just wondering....can I not burn any DVDs at all if I have Series 2, regardless of the DVD burning software I buy? I just bought Roxio 9 b/c the Tivo website shows it as a supported software....but I have not been able to figure out how to burn DVDs at all.

Does the Roxio software automatically convert the .tivo to mpeg, or whatever is needed? Thanks! I am beyond frustrated!