Burning movies from now playing list (copy portection)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by burbod01, Jan 15, 2006.

1. burbod01

burbod01 New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    We bought a dvd burner (mainly for the upcoming world cup games) and hooked it up to our directv receiver with tivo.

However, we have a bunch of movies (some old, some recent) sitting on our tivo now playing list waiting to be watched. I though we would be able to clear out some space on our tivo by burning these movies to dvd+rws until we get around to watching them. It seems that some of the movies (all of the ones tivoed from hbo, showtime, etc...) have copy protection on them. Since we are basically using the dvd+rws as an extension to the size of the tivo disk, I am under the impression that we aren't doing anything wrong, just making one copy of a movie, then deleting the original from the tivo drive so we still have only one copy. We aren't profitting or giving them away or causing any money to be lost that wouldn't have already been lost through the tivo process.

Why are we unable to do this if it isn't illegal? Am I wrong that it isn't illegal?

Is it just through tivo that is causing the block? If I were to connect my dvd recorder to my regular directv box, would I be able to copy a movie from hbo and whatnot?

Thankfully, sports are copiable, so the world cup archives will continue.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I never had a problem transferring recordings from my DTiVo to a DVD recorder. I do know that some DVD recorders improperly claim that there is a copy-protect signal when there isn't.

TiVo will record and reproduce the copy-protect signal if it is present on the input, but I'm unaware that any DirecTV programs are so encoded.

3. burbod01

burbod01 New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    so it isn't the problem of tivo so much as it is the problem with the dvd recorder?

how can i get around that then?

4. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    if yuo have had the burner less than 30 days return it and try another. I also never had any problems with my pioneer burner. Also It might be a prob with just that unit and not the entire brand. Either way return it.

5. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    ok then ehat channel is 498. channels you receive says " macrovision test 498"

6. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    but when i go to that channel it says directv sports

7. burbod01

burbod01 New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    it is sony, but wouldn't all new recorders have the same cprm built in?

should i talk to sony about it?

8. Want1394

Want1394 New Member

Oct 4, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    1. Yes, Virginia, there is copy protection. HBO is the major user, but many others are following.

2. Not all DVD recorders have it implemented. There is no rule I'm aware that forces them to put the Macrovision protection in.

3. Sony certainly does.

4. You can read HBO's explanation here http://www.hbo.com/corpinfo/faq/cgmsfaq.shtml

5. The AVS forums on DVD recorders have multiple threads on the topic.

6. It was supposed to be a record-once flag, but it consideres a DVR the once, so you can't transfer to a DVD. However, someone with a standard DirecTV box can record to a DVD-writer - maybe TiVo should have ignored the flag :(

Good luck

9. mjitkop

mjitkop New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    CT
    burbod01:

your DVD recorder is made by Sony but what is its model number exactly?

You might still be able to archive your programs from your DirecTV DVR to DVD but that involves "hacking" your DVD recorder very easily. That said, I don't think more details can be given here since discussion about hacking is not allowed, I believe. If I know the model number of your Sony DVD recorder, I will be able to look it up somewhere and let you know by Private Message if you can do something about it.

10. burbod01

burbod01 New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    rdr-gx315

I am under the impression that if I use it with just a regular directv receiver I will be able to record movies from hbo (copyright protected "once"), but I haven't tried that yet.

11. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    All DVD recorders must support Macrovision or they forfeit their DVD license.

12. mjitkop

mjitkop New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    CT
    Nobody has found a way to hack the rdr-gx315 yet so you're out of luck, burbod01. :(

I have a DVD recorder that I bought at Wal-Mart and it's the iLo DVDR04. I found easy hacks to disable macrovision and to make it region free. Works great for me to archive my shows off my DirecTV DVR to DVD for personal use. :)

13. texas arsenal

texas arsenal FCDallas.net

Feb 3, 2005
    Frisco TX
    Im recording off the R-10 with a Panasonic ES20 with no probs at all.

14. burbod01

burbod01 New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    what is an r-10?

15. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    R10 is the last Tivo based DTV DVR

16. burbod01

burbod01 New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    If I use a dvd-rw would it work?

17. texas arsenal

texas arsenal FCDallas.net

Feb 3, 2005
    Frisco TX
    That depends on your recorder. Ive had good luck with DVD+R's.