Burning DVDs from Now Playing List

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by taj2, Jan 17, 2006.

1. taj2

taj2 New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    How long does it take to burn a TV show or a movie to a DVD? Is it real-time?

I am going to purchase a DVD Recorder and am curious to know if this process is fast and easy. I assume you simply select "Record to VCR" and the machines do the rest.

Thanks

2. su_A_ve

su_A_ve New Member

Feb 3, 2004
    yes, it's real-time. The connection is composite or S-Video to the recorder from the DTivo.

Automatic ? not really - you need to select Record to VCR, then select start from beginning, then on the DVDR hit record, making sure you have already decided on how many hours you want to put in per DVD (don't go higher than 3).

3. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Real Time.

Yep... Save to VCR, Play... hit record on the DVD Recorder...

Wait

4. taj2

taj2 New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Do you have to tell the DVD Recorder to stop recording?

5. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Normally yes...

Unless your DVD Recorder has an option to record for a set length of time.

6. taj2

taj2 New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks, I haven't bought it yet so I will have to keep that in mind.

7. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    I use the DirecTivo and a DVD recorder. I just choose an appropriate time length for the DVD and let the recording from the Tivo occur as I get my nights sleep. DVD media are so cheap there is no need to cram programs on every last little bit. So if you have a half hour to record, pick the least time on the DVD (least compression for best picture) and record. And I agree with the no more than three hour suggestion. (Few things are continuous for anything like three hours.)

8. texas arsenal

texas arsenal FCDallas.net

Feb 3, 2005
    Frisco TX
    Im using a Panasonic ES20 and have great luck. The only draw back is the real time. Basically you have to watch what you are burning to disc.

9. mpar1

mpar1 New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Might I suggest a burner with a built-in hard drive. My Panansonic burner has one. I copy the show from Now Playing to the hard drive. From there I can edit the show's length or divide the recording if needed. I then burn from the hard drive to DVD.

10. junebug630

junebug630 New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    mpar1 when you copy the show from now playing to the harddrive is that done in real time? I am assuming not, as that would negate any time savings in doing the burn from the hard drive. Thanks.

11. rsblaski

rsblaski New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Pahrump, NV
    re: a copy to the hard drive and then to DVD; the copy from NP to HD has to be real time, as there is no way to speed up the DTivo replay of the program and the recording function of the DVD recorder. With a Panasonic, however, the dump from HD to DVD is actually done a bit faster. I have an older panny DVD recorder (DMR-E80H) which, I believe allows for transfer at 2x speed. I haven't checked lately, but I think the newer ones may now be a 4x speed which would allow a 2 hour transfer in 1/2 hour.
    You can get a lot of info at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=106.
    Good luck. BTW, the new pannys now can record to DVD+-R, DVD RAM, and DVD-RW.

12. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003