burn videos from tivo to dvd or external hard drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pvtben121, May 29, 2011.

1. pvtben121

pvtben121 New Member

May 29, 2011
    my father in law is heading back to afhgan and he is a huge nba fan.
    so i wanted to know if i could tivo the nba finals for him and some how send him the dvds or external hard drive.
    i have a tivo hd dont know what series till i get home but i know it is grey front and black on the other sides

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you have a computer running the free version of TiVo Desktop?

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    DVDs are lighter and more durable for mail services to transport.

You can transfer the recordings using either of Tivo Desktop, PyTivo, Kmttg. They will be in .TiVo files. You would then convert to .mpg using TivoDecode (kmttg can do it for you).

Next to make DVDs, you would need to purchase VideoReDo TVSuite. Using this allows you to even edit out unwanted material such as commercials, then burn it to DVD in the same program. There is VideoReDo Plus, but it does not have the DVD capability.

FYI, a Tivo HD is a Series 3 platform.

4. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Actually, by getting VideoReDo there is no need to convert to .mpg first. You can just take the .tivo files downloaded with TivoDesktop an load them into VideoReDo, edit, burn. Simple.

Bob

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    What equipment does he have to view these on? Laptop?

One simple option would be to install (free) TiVoDesktop on his laptop. (You will need your MAK when you do this). Set it up to disable the "server", since you only need that running to transfer files back to a TiVo.

Then you can just burn your .TiVo files (transferred from your TiVo with your copy of TiVo Desktop) to DVD's as data files. Then he copies the data files to his laptop and can view them using Windows Media Player. (Be sure WMP is installed and working on his laptop.) He might not even have to copy the files but just load them directly from the DVD. Note: the reason you install TiVo Desktop is it includes codecs that allow WMP to play TiVo files.

An issue to consider is file size, i.e., whether to give him HD or SD recordings. This is determined by what channel you record from. HD recordings will be several times as large as SD recordings. Whether the enhanced resolution of HD is important to him depends on two things: (1) what size screen he will view on and (2) whether the enhanced resolution is important to him. Note that with your dual-tuner TiVo you can record the SD channel while viewing and/or recording the HD channel.

Hopefully you can trial-run this before he leaves.

If you go the VideoReDo route (to make video DVD's) the resolution issue is still important. The DVD's can only have SD resolution and if you feed VRD an HD resolution input, it will take a longer time to make the DVD because it has to resize down to SD resolution -- and the result will be no better than if you used an SD input file.

Another way SD vs. HD will affect you is the time it takes to transfer the recording from your TiVo to your PC. The transfer rate is limited by the TiVo, not your network speeds.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Without Tivo Desktop installed, even VideoReDo will not be able to open .TiVo files unless they're .mpg.