Burn TiVo TV programs to DVDs

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Reitmeyer, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Reitmeyer

Reitmeyer Randy R

Feb 14, 2006

Advertisements

This is my first attempt at transferring TiVo files to a PC to then burn to a DVD. Transfer worked fine, I can play TiVo files on a desktop. But I haven't been able to burn the DVD on DVD+RW discs. What are simple options for this that you can suggest?

Thanks, Randy R

2. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Do you want to make a standard DVD that is playable in any DVD player? Or do you want to just store you .tivo files as data on a DVD disc for playback via a computer?

3. jamiebodie

jamiebodie New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Bluffton SC
    I want to make them playable on any DVD Player.

Jamie

4. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Download DirectShow Dump or VideoRedo to free your .mpg from the .tivo files. Then you can use any DVD "authoring" software you prefer. I would recommend Nero Vision Express.

5. whitcre

whitcre New Member

Nov 25, 2004

Advertisements

i copied a movie from tivo desktop to my c drive. went to video redo and went to "open video" went to c drive and clicked on movie i wanted to copy and clicked "open" . movie started playing on video redo screen. edited out commercials and clicked on "save as".. it went back to my c drive to where the movie was. i saved back in same folder as a "mpeg" file. window came up that said "fast frame copy, scene 1 of 1" . it took about 3 min to save . burned to dvd. took about 4 minutes. put in dvd player and dvd player said it couldnt play that type of file. ?????

6. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    By copying the mpg file directly to DVD you created a "data DVD". Only computers and some special DVD players can read those kind of DVD's. You need to author a DVD. There is some freeware out there that will do it. But I would still recommend using Nero Vision Express if you are feeling clueless. :p

7. whitcre

whitcre New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    i am using nero. im trying it again, now. its "encoding video" as we speak. we'll see. thanks for responding. i've been messing around with this for several weeks. hopefully, it will work

8. jamiebodie

jamiebodie New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Bluffton SC
    videoredo won't open my TiVO file, it seems to get stuck and stop responding.

9. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Do you have the most recent version?

10. whitcre

whitcre New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    this is so damn frustrating. can some one take the process from beginning to end using tivo desktop to video redo to nero express

11. whitcre

whitcre New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    when i pick a recording to transfer from tivo desktop and click"transfer", it transfers using window media player. they are showing up as "movie clip" type files or "tivofile" type files

12. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    It transfers using Tivo Desktop software. Tivo files normally are associated in Windows to play back with WMP. What was your question here?

Make sure you change Windows to show file extensions. Control Panel->Folder Options...

[​IMG]

VideoRedo will allow you to save your input file (the .tivo file) to a .mpg file.

DirectShow Dump will also allow you to do this (but it has no editing features).

Nero Vision Express works best if you feed it a .mpg file (not a .tivo file).

If you are having trouble making a DVD, you probably a crippled OEM version of Nero.

See this site for the different OEM suites. Not all have the DVD Plug-in.
    http://www.softwareandstuff.com/SWW12252.html

13. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    http://www.zatznotfunny.com/nero.htm

14. whitcre

whitcre New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    i am using nero express that came with my computer. do i need to buy an updated verion

15. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Do not confuse Nero Vision Express with Nero Express. Nero Express is used to make Data CD/DVD discs. NVE is used to author DVD movies.

Do you have NVE 2 or 3? Nero Vision 4 (part of Nero 7 Ultra Edition), seems to have dropped the express part altogether.

If you don't have it, try downloading it from here (see Update Package #2):

http://www.nero.com/nero6/enu/nero-up.php

If you do, when you run it do you see Make DVD ... DVD Video as a choice on the first screen that comes up?

If not, I would suspect you don't have the DVD-plugin.

16. whitcre

whitcre New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    well, i got the dvd to burn using direct show dump and nero. now the sound is out of sync with pic. the commercial was perfect leading into "24" but once 24 started it started skipping and sound was out of sync with pic

17. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Not sure that it matters, but what are the specs of your computer that created the DVD?

All my DVD's have been created using a 3GHz+ computer. I've seen similar problems (at work) when they've used "under powered" computers to do the encoding on.

18. whitcre

whitcre New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    2.2GHz, 896mb of ram

19. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
  20. whitcre

whitcre New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    its interesting that i was able to make a dvd of grays anatomy but not of 24. i wonder if there is something about 24 that keeps me from making the dvd