Burn Notice "Company Man" OAD 6/23/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pendragn, Jun 24, 2011.

1. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    Not a bad episode. I found myself not remembering where the last season left off, so I'm glad they did a little recap. Overall it was fun.

tk

2. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    They must have a lot of new writers. Just didnt seem the same as in the past years. I was actually disappointed. I hope it isnt going to be him running all over the world. I enjoyed the team helping local people with their problems.

3. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Luckily my TiVo picked up the end of last season as suggestions so I watched the last 2 episodes first as a refresher. Still, the jump to Canada at the beginning felt like I'd missed one.

My recording got cut off as Michael was next to his car under the cover. I was expecting him to uncover it and find that Sam and Fiona had fixed it for him. Did he uncover it and look?

4. SNJpage1

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Thats where it stopped for me also. I must say Fiona did look better this season. They didnt do a lot of soft focus on her face as in previous seasons. Howevr, there was just something different about the writing.

5. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    I'm not sure why they would do soft focus, unless it's to fuzz over her lack of undergarments.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They've always managed a pretty quick reset to the old status quo after previous "shake-ups," so I'm guessing the same will happen now.

After all, they have a winning formula to protect!

7. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Yeah, it was smooshed. I half-expected a pristine, fixed, repaired car, too. Didn't look like it. My recording was cut off, too, but I had recorded Suits, too, which was next. No miraculous car fix.

I don't know. I've loved this series from the beginning, but just got a different vibe from this one, especially from the voiceover at the beginning, that I didn't like.

8. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    I share in being disappointed. This episode had a different feel that didn't grab me. And, oddly, I didn't like Michael's new look with his 1960s retro hairdo, now dyed black (that emphasizes his less-than-manly features), or Fi's newly dark hair (they must have a new stylist). And I laugh at Sam's "weight-loss" that looks like a nice facelift.

Perhaps, if I liked the story line better, e.g., if it had fewer special-effects, chase scenes, explosions, I wouldn't have focused on their new looks. If this is the setup for the new season, I'm not likely to stay loyal.

9. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    The optimist in me says this episode was to "clean up" the end of last season, the NOC list, Simon, "Management" and all that, so this season can tweak BN Formula so that it will be "CIA finds 'big bad thing' that they need an outsider to combat, while Micheal, Fi and Sam do their 'usual helping the little guy' gigs".

The pessimist in me says this it the "Jump the Shark" moment.

10. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    It felt off to me, too, but probably because we're used to the format of the four of them against whoever, without external involvement.

But it was still better than most crap and an enjoyable hour.

11. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    It also felt a little odd to me too. I think mostly because of Michael taking orders for a change. Also, they actually seemed to kill people in a shoot out. While not unheard of, definitely not the norm.

So, who really shot Kessler in the head? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that he would have killed himself. Only if to keep from being captured and possibly tortured.

12. SNJpage1

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I already deleted the show and cant go back and look. Was the CIA guy with Michael the whole time they were in the house or was he off by himself? Maybe he killed Kessler.

13. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    We didn't see it, but I suspect they (CIA) killed Kessler. Otherwise, it was too clean for this show. Suicide? Nope. CIA killed him.

14. EvilMidniteBombr

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    Yes he was with Michael the whole time. From when they broke into the compound until Kessler locked himself in the safe room. We can assume he was not with Mikey the whole time they were gathering grenades and making the IED.

I still say he didn't kill himself. It could be that he tried to sneak out while Mikey & CIA Guy were gathering explosives. Giving CIA Guy a chance to pop him in the head and put him back in the room.

15. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Well, the recap did show Michael spending the last six months capturing or assassinating targets to work his way up the food chain.

As for Kessler, I doubt it was Max. Either suicide or someone else was in the panic room.

16. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I did not see Michael check for a pulse. There have been strange cases where people are shot in the head but do not die.

Also, did they ever show the hands of the body? I kept looking for the gun that he shot himself with, but I did not see it.

17. EvilMidniteBombr

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    In the last camera shot of Kessler they show Micheal's hand on Kessler's neck as if he is checking for a pulse. As for Kessler's hands, they only show barely his right hand and not much around it. So we see no gun that might have caused the head wound.

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I enjoyed it, but I too felt it was a bit off. It also seemed like the writers were having hard time giving Fi and Sam something to do in this episode, at least until the end.

19. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    I did not like this ep AT ALL. Most of the storyline seemed like pointless filler to me.

And regarding Campbell's weight loss. This article (at the very end) seems to imply that it's real and due to the "Fall of Sam Axe" special.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/117/1178035p1.html

20. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    If you're going to make a big deal out of the car, then at least show a clip of what happened to it so I can remember. I totally drew a blank on that and it diminished that entire plot line.