Burn Notice 7/19/2007 (S01E04) "Old Friends"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Jul 19, 2007.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The poor guy hasn't managed to set his own price for anything yet, has he?

I don't think we really moved forward with any new info about the burn notice or why it happened or who is behind it.

And finally I think the general storyline this episode sorta sucked, too. :)

2. lodica1967

lodica1967 Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Hawaiian...
    Yeah,

I am still really liking it but they need to advance the plot. I can see it wearing thin if we don't start to get some answers or at least a general sense of direction.

The lead actor is starting to really win me over. He's a cutie and I though he was sort of average looking before. Always a sign of a good new show. At first you're like WTF were they thinking when they cast this guy! Then you can't imaging anyone else in the role.

I call it the "Ryan Atwood Anomaly".

3. RoundBoy

RoundBoy New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    No advance of the plot ?

The people that did this are still watching... and they are '.. going to see you soon'

They have high level gov't credentials that make the FBI turn over suspects they absolutely drool over...

They want him in Miami, but not dead... and they are willing to kill to ensure that.

Its pretty big that they are watching his back while screwing him...

4. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Cute. I'll have to remember that one. :)

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    The actor playing brother Nate was driving me crazy because I couldn't place where I knew him from.

I was going to ask, but looked it up myself ;)
    Seth Peterson and the show was Providence.

6. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    I really think that the premise of the show is that he is stuck in Miami. If you think that unraveling the burn notice is part of the plot you are mistaken. In my opinion, the burn notice is only the McGuffin. Just accept the show as it is and enjoy the stories. The show could not survive if he solved the problem and was reinstated with the CIA.

7. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I agree, I don't expect the plot of unravel quickly here...

This was another great episode. My only annoyance with it was an odd overuse of the freeze frame effect.

8. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    It's a similar situation on Monk. I agree that the burn notice isn't likely to be revealed any time soon.

9. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Is it just me or is Gabrielle Anwar losing more and more of Fiona's Irish accent in every episode?

Still, I really like this show ...

"When you're booby trapping your home ..." Entertaining and informative! :D

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    She lost it entirely in the second episode. They explained it in the show. (Well, they gave a fake explanation, not the fact that she can't do an Irish accent to save her life...)

11. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    My wife and I are enjoying the show more and more every week. You know, they can't advance the burn notice part of the plot too quickly, or it'll be solved and the show will be over. I like getting a little tidbit each week.

I am also glad they had Anwar drop the "Irish" accent. The first week it kept changing from Irish to Australian to British. It was horrible. I'm just as happy to forget she's Irish and move on.

12. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Hrm, I missed that. What was it? To blend in with the Miami crowd more?

13. Llwellyn

Llwellyn K3DSL

Jan 12, 2004
    Brooklyn, MD
    That's exactly it. She said something to the effect of "I can't go around Miami soundin' like a freakin' leprechaun, now can I?" :D

And there was much rejoicing!

14. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I still think Gabrielle Anwar toke out the Burn Notice on him. Thats why the guy got killed in his sell because he tryed to kill him.

15. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    "And NFL Sunday Ticket is on Directv in HD!" lol I love when that line come out.

16. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    That was product placement at its most blatant. All they needed was the telephone number to completely destroy any illusion of the show. Despite such things, I have been enjoying the series a lot.

There is no way Gabrielle Anwar took out the burn notice on him. She has not been portrayed as having anything like the authority to have him declared an untrustworthy asset. That would have had to come from much higher up.

He has quite the dysfunctional family.

17. dnemec123

dnemec123 Member

Jan 24, 2004
    Oregon
    Really no worse than the two male actors from Psych doing the T-Mobile cell phone commercial (i.e. are you in my circle) during Burn Notice, eh? :)

D

18. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    That is what I am thinking. The Burn Notice stuff is pure background and B-Story. Sure when the show ends they might solve it, but it is not really the plot of the show.

The plot of the show is him managing his day-to-day existence with a burn notice while trapped in Miami, not resolving that issue.

19. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    After the 4th episode, my wife decided she wanted to watch the show and asked if I could download all the episodes somewhere. Fortunately I saw that they were rerunning them all back-to-back the other day so I TiVo'd them for her. Then we watched (I rewatched) all 4 episodes over a couple of days. She really likes it too and plans to watch the rest of the series with me.

20. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    It made me laugh at how blatant it was. But it was so annoying in a "OK, USA Network, let me drop cable and switch back to rabbit ears" sort of way. All the pop-in ads and product placement is making me wonder why I am paying $55/mo for cable. Having a Panasonic phone or Sony TV sitting on the set is fine, having Jack Bauer drive Ford vehicles is OK, but this DirectTV ad and the Staples stuff on "The Office," is way over the line. I laugh at it because it's so absurd, but at the same time I'm quite annoyed that the writers are being forced to incorporate these things into the story. It's quickly draining any perceived value that I see left in my cable subscription, which is already quite low.

rant mode off.