Burn Notice 5-12 Dead To Rights OAD 08/Sep/11 SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Church AV Guy, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1 of 17
    Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    This was not a bad episode, except that I was (and I assume nearly everyone else) able to guess the "big plot twist/reveal.

How did Fi get the explosives to the window if it was a few stories up? They showed her using some long pole, but it still seemed like it would have been impossible.

I really hope that Larry is finally a truely dead this time!

Where are they taking the show from here? I think that the bad guy isn't all that smart. If he has been following Weston for all this time, he would know how dangerous it is to make an enemy of him.

2. Sep 9, 2011 #2 of 17
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The same place they always take it. The Big Bad will keep yanking Michael's chain until the writers get tired of him. Then, they'll kill him off and reveal a Bigger Bad.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

3. Sep 9, 2011 #3 of 17
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I knew there would be a twist but I didn't guess it. I try not to, as it ruins the show for me... I'd much rather be surprised.

That actor always makes me smile from waaaaaay back when he was Kirk on a show called Dear John.

4. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    I was a little suspicious of the fact that the whole Pierce plot dried up and suddenly in the summer finale we're on a seemingly unrelated Larry job. I knew it was going to go somewhere else that would end up relevant to the season's arc, and I think they did a good job of wrapping up one storyline while still setting the stage for the next. Of course that setup will be a lot like Carly's season, but that's okay. They still do a good job balancing the impossibly opposed goals of giving us constant forward motion and making sure we never change the premise of the show.

I'm still surprised it never turned out that Max's wife had some key clue, or that Max didn't even really have a wife, or something.

Edit: corrected for it being the summer, not season, finale.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There are still six more episodes this season...the rest air starting in November.

6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The latest big bad guy revealed that he was the latest big bad guy in Michael's loft. I know he said he'd reveal Fi's confession if anything happened to him but he's in Michael's loft. Mike should have tied him up, brought out the hammers, ice picks, blow torches, fire ants, brass knuckles, electric drills etc... and tortured the living crap out of the guy to get every bit of information he has and learn how to block Fiona's confession from getting out. The guy's a shrink, not a trained operative. He'd have lasted ten minutes. That's what I would have done, if I were a tv burned spy.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Right, but Michael NEVER does what ought to be done to the Big Bads. He ALWAYS just plays along and does as he's told. For the deadliest spy in the world, he's always been awfully docile when faced with threats to himself, his family, his friends, his girlfriend, etc.

Welcome to the new show, same as the old show.

8. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I have enjoyed this program but for some reason this season has me no longer interested in watching it. I think the plot lines have become over the top.

9. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    That's where I first saw Jere Burns too and that's always what I think of when I see him.

tk

10. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    He specifically addressed this by pointing out that there were people ready to drop the information, not just him. Michael would know if he took that much care he'd also have a regular check-in.

Corrected my previous post for it being a summer, not season, finale.

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm not quite there yet, but it used to be one of my favorite shows on TV and definitely my fav on USA Network. Now I think there are 3-4 shows I'd rather watch on USA (Royal Pains, Suits, Covert Affairs, In Plain Sight for sure). But it's still fun. I kept waiting for Tim Matheson to say to Michael, "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!" (Animal House quote by Matheson's character Otter). And Michael to say...."Are we just the guys to do it?"

12. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Enough torture stops that from happening, at least on my tv show.

13. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    Torture him into making the regular check-ins, without ever dropping the coded phrase that means "I'm under duress, drop the info"? I think you're thinking of a different show.

14. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Agree that this series has definitely lost its luster. But if it continues to pull in the solid (for USA) ratings, it will continue with the predictable plot lines...I also had this one figured out early on....

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think the problem with this show, is really, they've got nothing new to add. It's the same old same old. Every episode they are helping some poor shlub who got in trouble. There's always the backstory with Mike trying to figure out what happened to him. And every year it culminates in him figuring out one clue and then something new comes up. The formula works for awhile, but at this point, the stories are getting old. The Mike back story is getting repetitive and I am starting to think the show has run it's course. It's still entertaining, but only mildly so at this point. I'm just not sure what they can do to really freshen this up, without killing off a main character.

16. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Neco-post. I caught this one late.

I agree with all of the above re: We're back to same ol' plot. The only difference here is that the body count is unusually high.

What is the point of that Michael-Fi gun turrent carosell thing? They change positions to give the bad guys a sporrting chance at hitting them both? Is that a real tactical move? Consider that the shooter is taking in and analyzing the threat picture from that side only to flip and figure out the situation in the other direction. Dumb.

Didja notice that in this (and the last?) episode we must have seen "end of season actor contract catch up?" Sharon Gless shows up at the building wearing an old outfit for absolutely no reason. It looked like even the actors didn't expect to see her. "I called the CIA and asked where you were. I wanted to remind you what Sam and Jesse just did for you." Huh? She wasn't in the last episode at all.

And then in the second half they had, "Jesse is taking care of Mom." (off-camera) and we only heard his voice on the phone. Weird.

Being that this guy was the menace on Justified I had him nailed form the first. I agree Michael could have solved this a with a cold shot liek he did with with "sol?" the hired spy agent.

So now Michael and crew will get him and only to have to deal with the guy behind the hired assassin who behind the hired assassin bomb maker hired by the guy behind the guy(s) behind the conspiracy that the girl behind the conspiracy who worked for for the guy behind the conspiracy who was targeted by the rouque hired assassin from the secret group behind the conspiracy using the guy behind the burn...."

And we never did see the original "welcome back to the family" CIA guy again.

[​IMG]

Oh. I see he got the gig on White Collar.

I say wrap it up with Michael as Jack Ryan deputy CIA director married to Fi and do a Sam Ash cop show spinoff.

My vote is a sure sign of death. I think I'll take off "Keep until I delete."

Attached Files:

17. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    You can tell that the writers and producers aren't even trying anymore.

• The last episode the base of Sam's land mine for the assassin was a car oil filter with no explanation that it was improvised.
    • As above, this time Fi somehow reached up 18 stories with an extension pole from car her trunk.
    • Larry said they had to insert the phony document in a diplomatic pouch in the embassy and leave no sign they were there. "Don't leave your DNA all over the place." Surely, they won't notice that all of the log files on the surveillance PC are gone. So when Fi shoots holes int he bulletproof window, that's not going to be noticed? Will they think the man-sized hole cut in the concrete floor was a mouse infestation? (Rodents of unusal size?)