Burn Notice - 1/21/10 - "A Dark Road" (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dcheesi, Jan 22, 2010.

1. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Ok, since the recent generic thread has been ruled out for talk, how about a nice specific episode thread? :)

Did anyone else think the whole mom / Tyne Daley subplot was kind of forced? Michael (in voiceover IIRC) talks about the blackmail being "the only way", yet later on Michael simply breaks in and rifles through the records with no problems. Couldn't he have just done that to begin with? He's certainly broken into higher-security facilities before to obtain information for a case...

2. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    He could have, but he was trying to teach his mom a lesson. He and Sam weren't too happy with her becoming buddy-buddy.

This entire series it's amazing how much like my mom that Michael's mom is, right down to the cigarettes. She did it again in this episode, she was wrong, but was done arguing, so just said, "Whatever." I HATE WHEN MY MOM DOES THAT!

Moms. :)

Greg

3. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Thinking about it now, I suppose Michael could have been worried that planting records that are known to be stolen might derail his plot to expose the insurance scammers.

By breaking in afterwards it still covers the removal of records (via blackmail) but doesn't contaminate the records that were 'found' in the scammers car earlier that day.

But this is very much an after-the-fact rationalization.

4. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Yeah, actually that's another plot-hole (I think?). I assumed that the main reason Daly was likely to get caught was that the records left in the car could be traced back to the city records office. But in that case, the break-in after the records were found by the cops doesn't help her, since they would know that those records were removed prior to the break-in.

Or is there another way that she'd necessarily get caught? :confused:

5. Jonathan_S

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I thought she'd get caught when an audit of the county records office showed that the records were missing. (Or when the next legitimant attempt to access one of them couldn't find the record)

So now the breakin provides an alternate explanation for missing records so the likely won't go back and interigate everyone who had access to the records room(s).

6. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    I guess that makes sense. Although, I don't know much about auditing, but I have a hard time imagining that they physically verify the whereabouts of every record in a collection as large as the City of Miami's must be...?

7. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    They normally wouldn't but with the number of records that were missing (after Tyne Daly took the 2nd bunch), it becomes more likely that Someone would need one and find it missing, at that point all the records in that section would likely be audited which would be a problem.

I think they staged the break in because Micheal realized that Tyne Daly was another "person who needed help" just like the original client. Alternatively it could be that they wanted to to the break in over a weekend, but needed the incriminating records now!

8. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I knew that once he saw his mother's pain about the whole thing that he wouldn't let the other woman suffer the consequences. That is just not Michael.

Just a side note. I love his car!!!

9. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    So now the Miami Police have an APB out for a Time Lord who can produce files during the day that will be stolen that night.

10. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    Having never really watched Cagney and Lacy, I couldn't tell if there were any references to the show considering this was a reunion of a sort.

Good start to the second half of the season. Looking forward to meeting the mysterious contact.

11. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    The scene with Mike's mom blackmailing Daly was brutal. I felt so bad for her, and kind of really pissed at Michael for putting the two ladies in that position. He should have found another way.

All in all a good start to season.

12. Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
    I busted out laughing when they had Cagney & Lacey, loooved it. Sooo happy this show is back. The kid took his yogurt out of the frozen at the same time Michael did. It was cute and we really enjoyed the show.

13. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Best quote and comment on what is becoming a Burn Notice cliche':

Michael: "Sam did you find out anything?"
    Sam: "No. She resists all of my charms."
    Michael: "Use your Sam magic."
    Sam: "Why didn't I think of that?"

14. Tangent

Tangent Aluminum Falcon?!

Feb 25, 2005
    San Jacinto, CA
    I've walked through a couple of the warehouses of records that my county maintains. The population of Miami is 1/6th (roughly) of my county but even then the total number of records would still be huge. It would be way past big enough that nobody would know they were missing until looking for those specific ones and not finding them. Not to mention that most municipalities now keep electronic copies of records and she would have only had to print copies and not steal originals anyway. It was just a plot device like most things on these kind of shows; this one was just a bit thinner than usual.

15. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    After finding them in the bad guy's car, they woul dhave searched them out, along with some others, so they would certainly have been discovered missing.

+1 :up: To the Micheal realized that she needed help. That and they needed the records for the crash immediately, but wanted to wait until the weekend for the break-in.

And of course, his mom was unhappy about the whole situation. He did it for her as well.

16. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Don' cha think the cops are going to know the records are the official county records and they found them in the car before the night of the break in?

17. Jonathan_S

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Of course that would be more likely to get her in trouble in real life.
    Electronic record access is easy to audit, so if she didn't have a good reason to be viewing/printing all those records she'd be in trouble. (Governments tend to frown on employees who get caught snooping in private records for personal reasons).

18. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    There's a scene in teh opening credits where Mike and Sam are running from an explosion and Sam has this goofy look on his face. That cracks me up every time.

That was the first time we've seen Michael's mother be really mad at him. I expected her to tell him to get the bleep out of her house. I thought Michael was totally wrong to get her to blackmail her friend.

19. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I think the point is that by the time that any of the records are discovered missing, the cops would not be able to determine when any of them went missing. Hence, they would not know that the break-in occurred after the files were discovered in the car. This is assuming that Michael only took enough records on the weekend to have them be discovered missing eventually, but not necessarily right away. Of course, if he wipes out about 20% of the records warehouse, then it would be noticed first thing Monday morning.

20. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    A lot of people have been grumping about the records theft issue and I think you're making too big a deal out of it.

1) The records found in the bad guy's car wouldn't be assumed to be stolen from the records office because they'd be assumed to be separate copies. There'll be two copies (at least) of these records: one goes to the person involved, and one goes into the records office. Mom alludes to this when she's asking the clerk for the records from her dead husband's insurance claims because she can't find the originals anymore. So the police won't assume the records they find had to come from the records office at all.

(Quibble with this: it's possible that the records office copies have "Copy" stamped on them or maybe something even more specifically proving their provenance. But this is by no means so sure that we have to consider it a plot hole to assume they didn't.)

2) Michael could certainly break into the records office, but he probably couldn't find the specific records needed without the help of the clerk. So getting her to get the info and then burgling the place is still a valid plan. Though I do feel bad for the people who are going to need all the records he had to destroy to make it work. (Wouldn't it be great if later on he ends up having to help someone who's being screwed over by their insurance company because some butthead burgled the records office?)