Bulk delete Recently Deleted folder contents?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HaloBox, Oct 17, 2011.

1. HaloBox

HaloBox New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Reach
    Is there an easy way to delete all the recordings in the Recently Deleted folder?

I am using the new TiVo Elite and haven't discovered a way. One by one sucks.

TiVo is still sticking with the philosophy of not manually managing the disk space?

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Why bother? They have no impact on the operation of the Tivo. You are not creating any additional space (or doing anything else useful) by deleting them. All you are doing is making sure you won't be able to recover one of them if it was soft-deleted by mistake.

Why consider anything else? There is no down side to having the deleted items laying around, and no point for the user to bother with it themselves. Worrying about managing the disk space is nothing but a waste of time and energy for the user. Unless your hard drive is too small - in which case you should upgrade - there is no reason to ever worry about drive space on the TiVo.

3. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Some people want to purge the RDF for privacy reasons. Adult shows. Trash shows. The fact that this doesn't apply to the PP doesn't mean it's not a valid reason.

Not sure about the S4 units but S3 uses the original recording date when determining which shows need to be removed from the RDF in order to provide space for newly recorded shows. That means if I accidentally delete an older show it will be gone before I can restore it. I wish tivo would either purge shows from the RDF based on date deleted (moved to the RDF) or give us an option to do that.

Making it easier to completely delete, or batch delete shows, from the RDF makes some sense for those 2 reasons. Otherwise tivo does a good job managing space on our hard drives.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Some people also just don't like all that extra junk just hanging around being useless. Deleting items from the RTD folder for that reason is just as valid as any other reason.

5. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Deleting the extra junk doesn't improve the performance of your tivo. Your reason is psychological. I appreciate some people would like a bulk delete option for that reason. I don't have a problem but the reason isn't as valid since that reason doesn't serve a real purpose.

edited to add We have 3 (I was only going to give you reason .50 but decided not) for a bulk remove from RDF. It's a shame tivo no longer makes these kinds of "tweaks".

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I didn't claim that it did.
    Of course it is.
    ok.
    That's just asinine.
    Because it is 100% unnecessary to manually delete anything from the RDF, any reason for anyone wanting to do it is for their own peace of mind.

7. HaloBox

HaloBox New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Reach
    What's asinine is not having a "empty deleted items" menu item. It's in nearly every program I use in this day and age (client, server and cloud based). It's easily coded and added.

I guess I got my answer. Thanks. :mad:

See you on the series 5. :D

8. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I'd rather see TiVo work on things that would have more value. I'd guess that 99% of folks would not want or bother to do this.

I would prefer for Tivo to work on multi-room streaming, cooperative scheduling, and an integrated NPL for all Tivos on the same network. I know that not everyone wants or needs this but it seems like a logical step to me. It's much more logical than asking them for FSI and a way to manually mass delete the deleted items (in my opinion).

9. vectorcatch

vectorcatch New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    To be honest, I think it would just be nice to see them add features at this point.

Their time to market with any feature seems to be fairly long (years). I would welcome even small tweaks at this point just as some sort of indication they are actually working on it.

Right now, all we get is version 14.8a, 14.8b, 14.8c with no real idea what has been changed (although they did remove streaming between 2 of them :) )

10. AndyRowan1

AndyRowan1 New Member

Nov 21, 2011
    To deny that users have a good enough reason for features that they request, is just pain controlling.

I am about to sell my tivo.
    Why should I either :-
    a) leave 240+ recordings in place for the buyer. or
    b) spend an inordinate amount of time deleting each recording?

Can you say whether there are any issues with intellectual property rights, if I sell a bunch of recordings to someone?

11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Actually back on the series 2 it did. On the DirecTiVos in fact there was a bug if the recently deleted folder got too big, the TiVo would crash. It would also block the TiVo from getting the next update IIRC. I know my father still has a DTiVo stuck on an old version of the software because of this bug. TiVo didn't plan on having people with 500gb drives back then so the software couldn't handle thousands of recordings.

The same thing would happen with messages.

12. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Just run Clear & Delete Everything.

13. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    but wont that then "Clear & Delete Everything"? I'm not he wants to do that.

14. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    He wants to get rid of all of the recordings. This will accomplish that. What benefit is there to giving the new owner a Tivo with the SP's, Wishlists, Cable Card pairing info, and Thumbs Ratings? The new owner would most likely delete all of that anyway to fit their own viewing preferences.

If, for some reason, he wants to keep that in tact, he can go into the RD folder and simply use the "Clear, Select" method to rapidly delete the recordings. Just press those two buttons in rapid succession will allow for quick deletion.

ETA: I assume you were talking about the OP. I was referencing the person I quoted. For the OP my second suggestion will work to achieve mass deletion. Files can be deleted rather quickly using this method.