Building new case for Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by dgoto, May 30, 2020.

1. dgoto

dgoto Member

Apr 29, 2010
    I am considering customizing a TiVo Bolt and taking the hardware from that odd-shaped case and installing it into a small format pc style case. Goals are to provide easier access to internal hardware, more space for hard drive expansion and better cooling of the unit.

I might also try to incorporate media NAS features into the Unit
    htpc case - Google Shopping

A possible case idea Cooler Master HAF XB EVO - High Air Flow Test Bench and LAN Box Desktop Computer Case with ATX Newegg.com, may be larger than I need.

I have a lot of past experience building Custom pc over the years.
    I am curious if anyone here has thought about or attempted and also looking for any lessons learned.

I would appreciate any feedback

Thanks.

2. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    I thought about putting one into a TiVo 2 case once upon a time. Got as far as purchasing a donor bolt for testing that I tore apart and test fitted to the case. Big advantage in my mind was the 3.5” drive space.

Biggest challenges I see are:
    1. Cable card on the bottom.
    2. It’s not a PC motherboard so things probably won’t line up.
    3. Potential for a metal case to block / degrade WiFi / Remote.

And if you’re thinking about using a better heat sink / fan combo like I was, you’ll find their heatsink isn’t centered over the main chip but shifted to one side.

3. dgoto

dgoto Member

Apr 29, 2010
    ‘Thanks for your feedback, all good considerations. I like to tinker and thought a bolt would be a good candidate to play with. Have you watched the week es video about adding external drive to Edge.

4. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    It was more than just a bigger drive, I was also trying to improve the cooling, thus the misguided idea of replacing the existing heat sink with a PC one only to find the offset issue.

What to do with a Series 2

Basically the slow demise of cable, TiVo and the rise of streaming has caused me to lose interest.

I would encourage you to post whatever you do. There was and probably still is a lot of interest in finding a solution that would house the bolt in a manner that provide 3.5” internal drive and improved cooling without adding noise.

5. dgoto

dgoto Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Basically the slow demise of cable, TiVo, and the rise of streaming have caused me to lose interest.

Thanks again for your feedback. My main reasoning for sticking with Tivo was having the capability to record and save and then export recordings which as for as I can tell is the only DVR system that allows this function. I like to save special events like the Superbowl or music events, awards shows etc.