Building a home network.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by grass_monkey, Oct 29, 2007.

1. grass_monkey

grass_monkey New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    I'm trying to figure out what I need to get in order to build a home network. I currently have two Tivo's (Series 2 and HD), one desktop computer and a Playstation 2. I'd like to play games online, as well as use the many features of the Tivo network. Can anyone help me put together a shopping list?

2. chip_r

chip_r Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Southeast PA
    First question is do you plan to have all of the devices wired, wireless, or some combination?

3. grass_monkey

grass_monkey New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    wireless

4. chip_r

chip_r Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Southeast PA
    OK,

Assuming that you have a DSL or cable modem now ...

A name brand (Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, etc) 802.11g wireless router. This allows you connect to the modem, perform NAT (network address translation to "shield" your local network from nasty port probing from the internet), and a browser-based configuration page to configure the router for online gaming (if needed).

A wireless adapter for your PC, PS2, and your two Tivo boxes. Good wiress adapters for the Tivos are available from Tivo.

Also the router will have CAT-5 connections in case you want to add a wired device to your network.

Assuming that your PC and (newer) PS2 has a CAT-5 ethernet port, you may just want to use a wired connection to your router to save a few bucks.

Based on the transfer speeds of the Tivos, 802.11g is more than sufficient.

Others will likely have specific suggestions on router models but a safe bet is one of the Linksys models.

5. chip_r

chip_r Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Southeast PA
    Here are some specific suggestions just get the flavor of it:

Router: Linksys WRT54GL
    For each Tivo: https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories.do
    Playstation: D-Link DWL-G820 Wireless Gaming Adapter (assuming it's the newer PS2)
    For your PC: Linksys WMP54G adapter

A general rule of thumb is to stick with one of the name-brands (Linksys, D-Link, Netgear) and you're OK.

6. grass_monkey

grass_monkey New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    perfect, thanks!

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If at all possible, use wired.

It is assumed your broadband modem is at your PC, in which case it can work from a wired port on the router. Or you could relocate the modem and router to the TV with the game console and TiVo, and use wired on both, and wireless on the other TiVo and PC (using a cheaper commodity adapter on that). For the wireless TiVo, get the TiVo brand adapter.

8. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Even though wireless is easy to install it can be a real head ache to actually set up. Personally I prefer going wired if you can run the wireing with out much problem. There is less drop outs and to me it seems a lot better for moving large files such as video.

9. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Agree with other's suggestions...wired if you can do it. I've had very good luck with both Linksys and D-Link routers. Currently our S3 is "hard wired" and our other TiVo's are wireless.

We're using TiVo USB Wireless Adapters (recommended) and a D-Link DIR-625 Rangebooster N Router instead of the older "G" series. We have our router on the thrid floor of our house and one of our wireless TiVo's in the basement - at the other end of our house. We needed as much signal strength as possible and "N" architecture can improve SS by as much as 4 times. ("N" is also backwards compatible with 802.11g and 802.11b.)

The "stock" SS on the basement TiVo was running around 64% idle and would drop to as as low as 40% during downloads. We added some "free antenna boosters" (video here - click on "WiFi Boost" under the video screen - and web site here) and now the SS for our basement TiVo runs between 82% and 86%. :up:

We use WPA security and it was all fairly easy to set up using the supplied CD ROM and instructions (again not as easy as wired, but not hard). Based on other posts, the transfer rate/speed between our wired and wireless TiVo's, Amazon Unbox downloads, etc. as well as between TiVo and our P.C.'s using the TiVo Desktop is very good.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

10. chip_r

chip_r Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Southeast PA
    Just to chime in with my current network arrangement. Wired to 2 Tivos, 4 PCs, 2 NAS boxes, and 2 printers. Wireless to a third printer, PDA, and laptop. Linksys wireless router and a Linksys 16-port switch.

Initially I had 2 of the PCs wireless without any issues. Moved over to wired just because I had remodelled the rooms with the PCs. Wired is cheaper but climbing around in an attic to pull it can be a bear even if you have access. Depends on your priorities. You can always start wireless and move towards wired.

11. Redbeard911

Redbeard911 New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I've got a Pioneer 810 that would not work on the Tivo wireless access point. I tried to switch it over to wired, but that's not working either.

My network currently consists of:

Internet >>Router>> Main PC
    >> Work PC
    >> PhoneLink Adapter
    ** Tivo
    ** 2nd PC

>> = hardwired connection
    ** = Connection via PhoneLink adapter

When I look at my router, it sees the Tivo unit, but the Tivo unit can't see the router. :confused:

12. bevansmd

bevansmd New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Ankeny, IA
    I'm not familiar with wpa security. I currently use wep. I have a wireless computer, playstation 3, tivo series 3 and printer sharing the network. Can the wpa be set up with a pass phrase and rotate the key or is it a permanent key that needs to be set? I have a wireless b router and the transfer speed for amazon unbox is unbearably slow. I am thinking about getting a wireless n router.

I love the 25 cent foil antenna referenced in a previous post! How ingenious.

13. flatcurve

flatcurve New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Chicago
    Your MRV and TTG use will benefit heavily from the speed and reliability of a wired connection. I would also like to second the suggestion of the Linksys WRT54G router. It's fairly easy to set up. You might have to do a little bit of work to get it to cooperate with your DSL/Cable modem, but you'll end up needing to do that with any router you get.

Also, consider contacting your broadband provider. They might even have a modem with built in wireless and multiple LAN ports on back. Mine did, but I wanted my network set up right away and didn't want to wait for them to ship me the new modem.

Also, I don't know if it would benefit you, but try getting the wireless router up as high as possible. I put mine in the attic. After doing that, I'm able to use my laptop parked out on the street.