Bug Fixes When?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Resist, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003

Advertisements

I have noticed a bug that has been around since the Series 2 single tuner Tivo and they still haven't fixed it. After deleting shows in a folder, sometimes it will say there are no more recordings in that folder when there really are.

Tivo has many updates since the Series 2 and yet this bug still exists. Enough already.......Tivo please fix this issue!

2. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Whenever I have seen this, the list pops back in after a few seconds.

3. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Do you honestly think the S2 will get this bug fixed. The S3 has bugs, the Premiere has MORE bugs. And it appears TiVo has not made any effort to fix them.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I would not expect any future updates or fixes to be released for the S2, S3 or HD units. Development at TiVo has shifted exclusively to the Premiere and even then it's super slow.

Dan

5. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003

Advertisements

I know there are other and more serious Tivo bugs out there. But I am talking about a bug that has been around since the Series 2. Is it a huge issue? Probably not, but it is still very annoying and something I would think is easy to fix in an update.

It's embarrassing when it happens while showing friends, unfamiliar to Tivo, how great this box is. The bug happens and they are like, "Hmmmmmm can't they fix that?" Doh!

6. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    So you show off your TiVo by deleting a bunch of shows in a folder? And then your friends, unfamiliar with a TiVo, wonder when that bug will be fixed? You gotta invite me to your next party! :eek:

7. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I had friends over for the weekend. I was showing them different aspects of my Tivo and why it's so easy compared to other alternatives on the market. I showed them how Tivo recorded suggestions on its own. When I went to delete some of them, Tivo said the folder was now empty (which it wasn't). My friends caught that and asked about it. I said it was a Tivo bug. My point is Tivo still has not fixed a bug that I have been dealing with since 2003.

8. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Many series 1s have been useless since December because they crash while attempting loading guide data each day. Sorry, but like Dan said, TiVo is more of a legal company now than an engineering company.

Edit: Oops - Dan said that in a different thread so here it is:

9. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I experience this bug quite a lot, but I have to say, while it is annoying for such an expensive device to do this, I really do just accept it as one of those quirky bugs that plauge all DVR's. I live with it because it isn't catastrophic. However, I don't expect TiVo to ever fix this and have learned not to let it bother me.

10. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes they are expensive and it's for this reason I am upset. Tivo has released numerous updates over the years, none of which has addressed this issue.

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    How does that song go?

In the year 2525 if man is still alive....​

I think they were talking about the date Series 2 bug fixes were going to be released :D

Thanks,

12. takeshi

takeshi Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I think we get it. What makes you think they'll fix it now if they haven't in 8 years though?

13. Andyistic

Andyistic Video acquisition

Sep 25, 2009
    Californa, US
    HAHAHA!

14. cadmium

cadmium New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    I'd rather them fix the bug where netflix sometimes hardlocks my tivo, or where downloaded web video's sometimes hardlocks my tivo, or where viewing channels via my tuning adapter sometimes hardlocks my tivo. Or the bug where it thinks a program was cancelled when it wasn't.

I'd rather those bug fixes happen first.

15. nooneuknow

nooneuknow Several LT/All-In Roamios & Minis for sale

Feb 5, 2011
    Whitewater, WI
    Agreed! Although, I do acknowledge that any bug that has been around for so long deserves a fix as well, IMHO.

It's my understanding (more like an educated guess, based on combining what TiVoJerry posts here, with the words of others who have more access to TiVo inner circles than the general public) that TiVo may beta test multiple bug fixes in multiple beta sub-versions (one bug fix each), then form a combined version, and if testing on that fails, then strip out individual bug fixes until they have a releasable version.

Whenever a new beta is in the works, TiVo's beta department is under extreme pressure (from their customers, as well as TiVo management) to get -something- out, and out ASAP. This is no secret.

It's all a moot point if TiVo is doing things as Dan203 says, which includes stopping further development and bug fixes for anything older than the Premiere, as well as what some other seemingly reliable sources say about the company trenching-in and focusing all their efforts on litigation and trying to convince MSOs to either use their hardware platform and/or their software.

Here's a press release from TiVo titled "Cox Communications to Promote TiVo Premiere With Cox VOD Service to Its Subscribers", dated 8/12/2010:

http://pr.tivo.com/easyir/customrel...ersion=live&prid=651057&releasejsp=custom_150

I called my local Cox office the day I say the release, was put on an "early rollout test volunteer list", and was so pumped that I replaced my TiVo HDs (all but two) with Premieres (w/LT subs). About six months later, I called again, and was told that nobody knew anything about any such thing/agreement. I called a few weeks ago, and was told that no such thing was going to happen, ever.

While it seems that Cox may be the one who changed their mind, I can't help but wonder if TiVo contributed to their changing of mind, somehow.

Overall, I'm getting a case of Buyer's Remorse, losing faith in TiVo, and wondering if all the "Lifetime Service" subs I bought were really worth it. I know they will be to those who bought their LT subs years ago, but TiVo can't be trusted not to use the clause in LT subs that allow them to terminate your LT service, so long as they give you 30 days notice before doing so. I know that there is an ongoing debate over other fine print in TiVo's service contracts, regarding how long a period service should/will be provided before the 30-day notices can go out. So, no need to start another round here. I'm not attorney, and don't claim to be able to 100% discern what TiVo service agreements really say, in non-lawyer-speak.

At this point, I'm more worried about TiVo staying in business, so as to be able to continue providing Guide Data, and keeping the units from turning into expensive paperweights.

I just recently fired up a LT sub TiVo HD that had not been plugged in for three months, and it was in lockdown mode until it could complete a TiVo Service Connection. Others here (in other threads) have claimed that this scenario doesn't happen with LT subs (scenario meaning loss of functionality when a LT sub TiVo doesn't connect, or can't connect, to the TiVo Service servers). My accidental experience proves otherwise...

Sorry about the "Topic Drift/Shift"... This stuff has all been burning in the back of mind mind for some time. The worst part that comes to mind is "what if TiVo goes bankrupt, or is sold?" I know that areas not serviced by TiVo have sometimes built their own servers to provide Guide Data and stop units from bricking, but who would do that for free? At either juncture, it seems that LT subs may not be worth it, considering the state of TiVo, as a company.

Back on topic... Every time I feel like calling TiVo and complaining about a bug, I usually tell myself that "it ain't gonna do any good", considering all of the above.

Yes, I am aware that if I don't call and complain, it's comparable to not voting, and then complaining when some jack-arse gets elected... TiVo Executive Relations said that the priority of bug fixes is directly proportional to the number of complaints logged via phone or other direct-to-TiVo communications. I was also told that even though I was talking to the highest level contact that the public can ever achieve within TiVo, that it would be a good idea to call a 1st-level CSR afterward and register each and every bug with them, to be sure that they were all logged.

Everybody should keep in mind that this forum is not affiliated with TiVo, and a lifetime of complaining here, will likely never yield any results, without having reported your complaints directly to TiVo CS.

To cover my own arse, I'm not saying that any complaints and/or concerns expressed here aren't valid, or serves no purpose. I'm not implying that at all. This "Community Forum" has been a great help. Hopefully it will continue to be so, no matter what happens to/with TiVo.

-God save the TiVo (and keep the TCF around for a long, long, time).

16. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Obviously we want Tivo to fix more pressing issues. But how many more years do we have to wait before they get around to past issues? Come on already, it's a minor bug that should only take a minor fix. How about this, instead of Tivo working on the next generation boxes, they fix the current ones.

Consumers should not have to be beta testers for products that are released unfinished! Products should spend a little extra time in R&D to get it right.

17. nooneuknow

nooneuknow Several LT/All-In Roamios & Minis for sale

Feb 5, 2011
    Whitewater, WI
    No disagreement here. I probably would have said virtually the same in my last post, but it was getting quite long. So, :up::up::up: , and "well said!".

18. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    I have the same frustration with the delete problem, but I don't think I have tried to show off TiVo since the year 2003.

19. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    It's not like I went out of my way and had Tivo party. My friends don't have one and never seen one before. We were watching TV and they asked if "that box" under my TV was a Tivo, then they wanted to know why it's so special compared to the cable companies DVR. So I showed them.

20. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I think you are taking what was said to the extreme. No one said "stopping all efforts" or "trenching-in".

Dan grumbled about the premiere being buggy and the menus half done a year after introduction and further grumbled about desktop, and then grumbled, incorrectly, about how pyTiVo is too complicated to setup on windows.

This is all conjecture though you choose to take it all as gospel and say it in an extreme way