Buffy 40 Disc DVD Set (Seasons 1-7)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bai Shen, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1 of 33
    Bai Shen

Bai Shen Toboggan noggin

Dec 17, 2004
    Anybody have this? How's it packaged compared to the regular seasons? Is it worth getting instead of the seperate season sets?

2. Jan 9, 2006 #2 of 33
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    It is much smaller than the separate season sets. It is just wider (and deeper) than a DVD, and as tall as a normal DVD box. The 7 seasons are in individual flip binders inside the box, the binders and disks are oriented horizontally, with season 1 at the top and season 7 at the bottom.

My understanding is that only the 1 DVD of new extras is different, otherwise all the content is identical to the existing season boxed sets. (I got it mainly because I'd procrastinated and only picked up season 1 of Buffy before the Chosen Collection was announced).

Update: Here are a couple of pictures on Amazon that show how they are stored.

3. Jan 9, 2006 #3 of 33
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I've got it... I like the packaging... It's a single box with each season in a cardboard gate-folded holder...the spine of each season creates a picture when they are all stacked vertically... There is an "extra" disc that is included that you cannot get if you buy the seasons separately (and it is packaged in a flimsy cardboard holder...nothing special)...

As far as content is concerned, my understanding is that besides the extra disc, the other discs are identical to the ones that have already been released...

I got it for just under $120.00 during deepdiscountdvd's 20% sale...

4. Jan 9, 2006 #4 of 33
    Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I got it just this week. The packaging is particularly cool, I think. However, as I said previously in the "All Things Buffy" thread, as far as I can tell there's no difference in the the discs for the first two seasons in the old individual season sets vs. the same two seasons in the new seven-season set. (I only had the first two seasons on DVD before now, so that's all I can truthfully comment on.) There is a separate DVD with "never before seen" stuff, and I personally like the booklet in the new set better than the little booklets that came in my individual season sets.

I supppose it depends on how big a fan you are, or how much of a complete-ist you are as a collector, or whatever, but if I already had all seven of the individual sets, I personally wouldn't buy this.

EDIT:
    For your further information, the special DVD I mentioned above says this:

5 All-New Featurettes:

"Breaking Barriers: It's Not A Chick-Fight Thing" - The Evolution Of Buffy's Fighting Style

"Love Bites" - Relationships in the Buffyverse

"Evil Fiends" - Meet your favorite Buffy demons

"Buffy: An Unlikely Roll Model" - Why we wanna be Buffy

"Favorite Episodes" - The chosen ones from cast and crew

5. Jan 9, 2006 #5 of 33
    Bai Shen

Bai Shen Toboggan noggin

Dec 17, 2004
    Ah, okay. I was jus' wonderin' as I have S1, and plan on getting all seven one of these days. Wasn't sure if it was worth selling the S1 box I have to get this.

6. Jan 9, 2006 #6 of 33
    Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    As far as selling goes, I'd say yes. I got this set for less than $170, whereas I figure buying the individual sets was gonna cost me more like $300 or more (I was buying 'em used when I could find them). I'm certainly intending to sell my original season one and two sets.

7. Jan 9, 2006 #7 of 33
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's probably cheaper for you to get the Chosen collection than seasons 2-6 seperately... even if you don't sell the season 1 set.

8. Jan 9, 2006 #8 of 33
    HiddenSky

HiddenSky Let's Go Flyers!

Dec 13, 2004
    Suburban...
    Although I already had S1-S7, I picked it up anyway since I am a completist. Based on price point, it's cheaper than collecting the individual seasons although the discs are exactly the same as in the individual sets. Considering how cheap S1 sometimes goes for when it's on sale, I'd say selling it would be up to you depending on whether or not you have a use for that duplicate. The Chosen Collection price is a good deal. On the bonus disc, the roundtable discussion was my favorite feature.

9. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    I picked this up, $143 at bestbuy.com.

Imhappy with it, I had not previously purchased because I did not want to buy 7 seasons at the ridiculous price of around $50 each. I think this was a great way to package a set, and I hope they do it with Angel someday too.

Z

10. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Yup...I am hoping the same for Angel as well... <crossing my fingers>

11. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    I'm hoping for this treatment for Angel as well. I didn't buy the Chosen Collection because I already had S1-7, but I haven't bought any of the Angel seasons yet.

12. Rosenkavalier

Rosenkavalier Call 1-600-DOCTORB!

Nov 9, 2001
    D/FW area,...
    A Costco here in the Dallas area had a package of all five Angel seasons (each in their original boxes, as far as I could tell) for $125, or something close to that.

13. TiVaholic

TiVaholic Not 12 anymore

Nov 29, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
  14. Bai Shen

Bai Shen Toboggan noggin

Dec 17, 2004
    I think someone said the Collectors set has bonus material.

15. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
  16. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    is there any way to delay shipping? I'm going away and dont want this on the doorstep lol

one other silly question....which i'm sure is Yes....i assume the PQ is much superior to my homemade dvds off FX right? Plus FX chops them i think?

even using IE instead of netscape, i have trouble getting the google check out...buy.com works fine of course...any ideas how to force it thru?

17. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I was having issues connect to google checkout but once I refreshed it worked. My previous buy orders worked fine with google checkout. What sort of problem are you having?

18. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    when i use IE i get processing then

and when i use netscape 7.2 i get Processing...
    Your web browser should automatically redirect you to Google Checkout. If you are not redirected within fifteen seconds then there may be a problem. This may be caused by having Javascript disabled in your browser. If you have Javascript disabled, please enable Javascript in your browser and try again

edit..it went thru in IE finally

I just hope picking the free shipping really does take 7-9 days!

thanks for the info on this...my wife will be thrilled

19. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    It took less than 7 days for my last order, which arrived two days ago.

20. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    glad i read this thread..it's back up to 171