Brooklyn Nine-Nine | Season Seven | *Spoilers for aired episodes*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Feb 5, 2020 #1 of 14
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    The only silver lining in The Good Place signing off is that it brings the return of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, for its seventh season. Unlike its Mike Schur stablemate, weekly episode threads probably won't sustain themselves, but I'd still like to discuss the show. Let's do it here.

To accommodate anyone who wants to read the thread but who isn't current on the season, let's plan that whomever makes the first post about that week's new episode mark it as such, e.g.

Spoilers for the 2/6 episode, "Episode Title" start here.

That way people who are not current can know when to stop reading.

And as long as I am suggesting rules, I'll propose that spoilers for Brooklyn Nine-Nine: The Podcast episodes are OK in this thread as well.

Nine Nine!

DancnDude likes this.
  2. Feb 5, 2020 #2 of 14
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Having set my own rule, a few podcast comments while we wait for the TV premiere.

I've listened to the episode covering the first season and am halfway through the next one, on season two. I'm really enjoying it although I've found it takes some adjusting, having become accustomed to the rhythms of The Good Place: The Podcast. Even though MEJ hosts both, and he's customarily excellent here too, even he's a bit different here. Maybe mildly more frenetic? I could be imagining that, but if not it's probably fitting for the more purely comedic nature of this show vs. that one.

I haven't looked ahead at the other episodes, but I really hope they've got Braugher as a guest in there somewhere. It seems like something he wouldn't want to do, though, and I bet he'd be a bit of a wet blanket. Still would like to hear from him though. And hopefully Samberg, too. We didn't get KB or Ted Danson on TGP:TP very often, but those big stars did participate so hopefully the same will hold here.

3. Feb 6, 2020 #3 of 14
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I watched the last couple of episodes from season 6 to be fresh for tonight!
    NINE NINE!

4. Feb 6, 2020 #4 of 14
    brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    With the exception of Survivor, I will wait until tomorrow to watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I have both Tivos set to record. :p

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  5. Feb 6, 2020 #5 of 14
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    TMI!!

6. Feb 6, 2020 #6 of 14
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Nine Nine!

7. Feb 6, 2020 #7 of 14
    brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Corrected

8. Feb 7, 2020 #8 of 14
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Spoilers for episode 1, "Manhunter", and episode 2, "Captain Kim", both OAD 2/6/2020, start here.

I hadn't realized we were getting a double-run for the premiere. Awesome.

That said, I enjoyed "Captain Kim" somewhat more than "Manhunter". I laughed a lot at the latter and more smiled at the former. I don't really think going big-concept is always to the show's strengths. One of the things the show is pretty careful about is that, while it's not a "cop show", it is a show about people who are cops and it takes care to show them as being good at their jobs even while being silly. So it took me out of the story somewhat to see Amy and Rosa and Terry screwing around, not working at all, during the middle of a manhunt for an attempted assassin. I get that Amy had something real on her mind, and that Rosa was trying to get her through it so they could concentrate on work, but it seemed like a subplot that would have functioned better back at the precinct, in between cases or something. Picky detail to have lowered the episode for me, but that's the effect it had.

I thought "Captain Kim" was straight-up hilarious. Lots of great jokes (Jake: "Are you talking about the chair?" Scully: "Ger her name out of your mouth!" Jake: "Her name is 'The Chair'?" Scully: "I warned you!") and Cool Charles was a gag I can't believe they've never done before. Lots of great stuff here. I actually would have liked Captain Kim to stick around for a while, although maybe she was too good to be true. Sepinwall was more critical of this episode, saying it's an example of older Jake behavior, where he ruins something by pursuing his own agenda while everyone else tells him not to. I get that, but this seems a little different because he wasn't indulging his own ego here, he was doing it out of affection for and belief in Holt. And it was fun seeing Jake and Amy as adversaries (narc!), though it was a bit weird that they wouldn't each know the other planned to attend the party.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  9. Feb 8, 2020 #9 of 14
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I loved the "Amy thought she was pregnant" subplot of "Manhunter" - I love the interplay between Amy and Rosa-they have become such good friends. The bodega pregnancy tests (expired- (10 years!) - used- oddly vibrating!) had me LOLing- and Rosa's imitation of a babbling brook (glub-glub-glub) - BA HA HA!
    And Terry's thinking they were talking about him- DO NOT DAB!
    That whole thing just cracked me up.
    And of course the "Weiner Warriors!" Got to love Hitchcock and Scully!

Steveknj likes this.
  10. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Actually, while I thought that subplot wasn’t well-placed being in this episode, you’re right that there was some funny stuff in it. Those pregnancy tests were great. The one for teenagers — brand “O.M.G.” :)

Steveknj, Regina and photoshopgrl like this.
  11. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Incidentally, it appears we're not actually getting weekly podcast episodes a la The Good Place: The Podcast. Bummer.

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I loved the first two episodes. I really miss this show when it's gone. I don't think 99 lends itself to podcasts in a way that TGP did (not that I listened to either). To me this is more of a traditional comedy that doesn't have a lot of philosophical undertones. It's just laugh out loud funny, and there's no need to examine every last detail. But that's me.

13. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    TGP:TP was 25% examination of moral philosophy and show plotting and 75% "how did you make this episode" conversations with just about everyone in the cast and crew. Brooklyn need much less of the former, of course, and somewhat less of the latter as it doesn't feature the elaborate special effects or sets that TGP often did. But there's still plenty of room for "making of" stuff, I think. If only.

14. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Spoilers for episode 3, "Pimemento", OAD 2/13/2020, start here.

Mantzoukas appeared on one of the podcast episodes and tipped off this episode. When I heard that, I thought it would be a full reverse-chronological episode, but that probably would have been too ambitious (and it didn't work too effectively for Seinfeld back in the day).

I thought this one was decent -- kind of middle-of-the road Brooklyn. I didn't use to like Mantzoukas much, but he's grown on me, and quick hits of Pimento like this are usually pretty fun. This concept bordered on letting him get too manic, which is saying something, but it mostly worked. They do like having him naked or in his underwear, though.

The workplace conflict half was maybe a little too obvious (of course that's where it was going), but they got a few good jokes out of it. One thing I can't decide if I am on board with is Holt in uniform. Lots of comic potential in seeing him brought low and acting peevish about it, but the humor from him comes from playing stuff off his fundamental dignity. If they make him act like a juvenile all the time, it's not Holt anymore. So I hope they don't indulge themselves there too much more.