Brooklyn Nine-Nine | S06E01 | "The Honeymoon" | OAD 1/10/2019

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Jan 10, 2019.

1. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    And the Nine-Nine is back!

Alan Sepinwall wrote a non-spoilery review of the new season (he's seem several episodes). In it, he discusses how the show's brief death made him realize that he could and should love the show for its abundant gifts, and worry less about the occasional flaw that was sometimes keeping him from fully embracing it:

I had an epiphany like that too. I’d long loved the show, had recapped every episode and often put it on my Top 20 shows of the year lists. But there was also something that kept me from fully embracing it the way I had creators Mike Schur and Dan Goor’s previous work on Parks and Recreation. Not being quite on par with one of this century’s best sitcoms is no sin. Still, it was hard not to draw comparisons given the overlap in creative DNA, character type (you can see elements of Leslie Knope in Melissa Fumero’s nerdy Amy Santiago, of Ron Swanson in both Braugher’s Captain Holt and Stephanie Beatriz’s Rosa Diaz) and guest star casting, and to find Brooklyn ever so slightly wanting. I would dwell on minor flaws sometimes, particularly the show’s struggle with the high-class problem of having too many funny characters and not enough time to properly service them all. (This sounds like a silly thing to object to, but because the show tried to feature everyone in every episode, it usually led to at least one subplot each week feeling undercooked.) So even as I praised it, I also found myself focusing more on the few things Brooklyn couldn’t do well rather than the many things it could.

Not anymore. Even though odds seemed good that the show would find a post-Fox home (it’s produced by NBC’s sister studio, which makes its continued existence much more lucrative on its new network than its former one), the mere idea that it might not come back was enough to shake loose most of my quibbles as I thought about all I would lose.

I was never all the way where he was, but I know the feeling. I say that to acknowledge of this premiere episode that while it was not the best the show has ever done, I don't care. It was warm and funny and I had a great time watching it and spending new time with these characters. Really the only actual complaint I will register is about whatever is going on with the front of Andy Samberg's hair. Otherwise, a lot of funny gags -- Holt's procession of t-shirts, Amy as Holly Gennaro and Jake as Melvil Dewey, Scully botching his end of the scheme to unlock Gina's phone -- and plenty of warm character comedy. And a clever way to make sure that Amy stays engaged with the rest of the detective squad even though she's now a uniformed sergeant.

Overall, toit premiere!

2. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    The t-shirts were hilarious :)

3. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I guess I knew this show was coming back and I needed to set my DVR to record it. Ultimately, I completely forgot. Off to Hulu to watch it.

4. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Amy as Holly Gennaro was fantastic. It made me LOL.

So glad the show is back.

jsmeeker likes this.
  5. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Is the pineapple a slut? :D

Donbadabon likes this.
  6. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    "Clearly the pineapple...is the slut."

So funny. The delivery kills me.

The others were:
    DTF: Down to Fiesta
    What's up, beaches?
    and my favorite - 1 Tequila, 2 Tequila, 3 Tequila, FLOOR!!!

markymark_ctown and Regina like this.
  7. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I'm so happy this show is back. I really find Holt taking over as my favorite character more every season. The delivery is just so fantastic, I really don't know how he keeps a straight face!!

8. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Loved it. Glad to have the show back. Very fitting (and disturbing) that Boyle sent them a "lovers toolkit."

9. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    “OK, it’s time to celebrate. You know what that means: this B needs a C in her A.”
    “Oh, my God!”
    “This Babe needs a Coconut in her Arms!”
    "Ohhhh, I thought you were saying this <beep> needs a <beep> in her <beep>!"
    “Oh, my God!”
    “Yeah, that was my reaction!”

markz, tcesario, Steveknj and 5 others like this.
  10. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    The premiere was up 71% in the ratings vs. its last season premiere on Fox, and was generally the show's best rating in two years.

Donbadabon and photoshopgrl like this.
  11. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    yup

good stuff

12. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Finally watched new ep yesterday. I loved it. Agree about the t-shirts. The whole thing was great. So happy to have this show again.

Before this show began a few years ago (or whenever that was), I really was not a Samberg fan at all. I really like him in this and I really like all of the cast.

jsmeeker and photoshopgrl like this.
  13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I've actually seen the last one at ports of call on so many cruises. the others I haven't seen.

14. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Same here. I never found him funny, nor enjoyed any of his prior stuff. But he kills in this. Was it me, him, or the material?

15. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    He's different in this role compared to what you have seen before. Typically, he was always this weird, goofy and ANNOYING character. over the top annoying.

But with the 99, the annoying part is really gone.

16. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    That one had me rolling!

17. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I hated the first episode, but my wife wanted to give it another try. So glad we stuck with it, because it's one of my faves now!

photoshopgrl likes this.
  18. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I like the show but I wish it was on any day but Thursday. I'm already recording Big Bang Theory, Gotham, Supernatural, The Orville, Mom, and Young Sheldon. I'll watch it, but probably on another day, along with one or two of the other shows mentioned.

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Honestly, I forget what time and day shows are on these days. I just watch when I get the chance. As long as I don't have any recording conflicts I don't ever concern myself.

20. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I just record the shows to see at a later time during the following week with the exception of Survivor, TAR, and BB, which I watch 20 minutes after it starts