Broken Xfinity On Demand app

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Falkor, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Falkor

Falkor New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Does anyone know if Comcast is going to fix/update the Xfinity app?

It hasnt worked with TiVo search for years now, and with Comcast continuing to not authorize HBO Go, it is becoming quite annoying.

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I'll admit that I don't use XoD much but I generally see it show up as an option for many of the movies that I've bookmarked (usually the pay option at that point of course).

Just curious what you are searching for that's not showing up? Given the court cases between TiVo (Rovi) and Comcast, I wouldn't expect there to be any improvements here.

Scott

3. Falkor

Falkor New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    So many examples!!! A quick, easy one is Outlander (Starz). TiVo Search shows purchase options only. The XOD app has the entire series free with subscription.

I’m not expecting a fix. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Be happy you have it at all as it's most likely going away when Comcast switches to IP or fiber in your area at some point in the future.

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Ah so at least in this case a show on a Premium channel. My guess is they probably never intended that to work since it's dependent on you subscribing to that particular premium channel and the guide data on your specific TiVo would have to be updated somehow with that information. They workaround this with Amazon Prime by having 2 different apps and depending on which one you have enabled, you have different results.

Scott

6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    The XOD app is not 'broken', it's just archaic. Search is broken and has been ever since Rovi took over.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Works for me. Only concern is it sometimes points to a paid version of a show when a free version exists. NBD once you realize it.

chiguy50 likes this.
  8. Falkor

Falkor New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Also “Anabolic Life” (Streampix), “10 Cloverfield Lane” (Free Movies).

Not about to do more troubleshooting here as I’ve done this repeatedly over the years with Comcast and TiVo. ...which is why i asked if an updated app is coming and not for assistance navigating the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    +1

10. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Also, season passes sometimes don't show episodes or entire seasons of shows that are available on demand.

kpeters59 and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  11. humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    Not to minimize your current angst (as I have had similar experiences ... and not just with premium channels), but my current go to source for XOD availability and status is the Xfinity Stream app on my android phone/tablet. I just punch up a movie or series in the search box and I know immediately if it's available for free On Demand (it's free if I see a "play" button on the screen ... sometimes a "download" button is also available). I can then try to find it using the source network shown and the menu tree on the Tivo XOD app which usually works. Occasionally it's not findable or missing (!!!) and I'll use the Xfinity Stream (Beta - free for now) app on Roku where another search will pick it up for TV streaming.
    It seems to me the app probably uses the same database as what you would get if you had an X1 box, so it's fairly reliable. It also shows "upcoming" cable broadcasts that sometimes extend beyond the current TiVo guide data so you can plan ahead if you prefer a recorded version.

chiguy50 likes this.
  12. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I think it was broken before as there were lots of shows back then that TiVo’s search function didn’t find but were available.

13. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    On demand from Comcast is disappointing when basic able shows show fees just to watch. I don't know the rhyme or reason. The stream app is available on my Samsung TV and it works well and looks good.. the entire Simpsons catalog is there for you!!

14. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    It does work, but I only use it mostly if the GUIDE data is messed up and I miss a network show. It's a vast improvement over the Helpless Original Comcast On Demand format in their original boxes! At least it has no stupid tiles like the X1 has. Several years ago, I tried to get them to modify the interface, but of course the interface is within Comcast and it runs on their servers. I just wanted them to fix the "oversight" that the PG DN/UP buttons did not do the 5 min skip. Maybe Tivo was not sending the control codes or maybe the Comcast interface was not recognizing the codes, BUT Nooooooooooo. That went nowhere and this was when I knew L2 people (in the good ole days (HA!). NOPE. Oh well...anyway, these days it would only work for Premium channels because most networks do not allow FF-ing...and of course you can always Rew, it surely does let you do that...:rolleyes::D

Also I must say that Comcast has a lot of nerve to charge $2.99 for episodes of network shows that are not from the current season. I wouldn't pay them for that. Greedy!!!

Finally, There is a Search function??? :confused:o_O:D:D:D

15. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    That is up to the broadcaster. They make the shows available and at what cost.