Broken TIVO, new HUMAX, and questions...oh my!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JenJJ, Jan 10, 2006.

1. JenJJ

JenJJ New Member

Dec 18, 2004

Advertisements

Hi, :eek:
    So, my Series 2 TIVO was blinking when I woke up in the morning and I couldn't do anything with the remote. So, I unplugged it and plugged it in again, but nothing happened...didn't turn on or anything! I was so upset because after having it for two years, I had lots of wish lists and season passes that I don't think I can remember to rebuild! And, I had some things saved that I wanted to transfer to VCR to save and show clips from to my students at the University where I teach. Not to mention some special shows I saved. I am SO sad!

Anyway, I don't know what to do with this machine. I plugged it in today and the fan started running, but still nothing on the TV or with the remote and no lights in front. But since I heard the fan going (albeit slowly) is there any hope? :confused:

In the meantime, I couldn't live without TIVO and with the rebates out right now, I splurged and bought a HUMAX TIVO. I even shipped it overnight (so spoiled!) and set it up today. I got this one so that I can immediately transfer those special things and clips mentioned above immediately to a saved DVD...I can do that right?

Any advice at all would be much appreciated!!! Thanks! Jeni :)

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    If by blinking you mean all the lights on the front, then you probably just need a new power supply to get going again. If that is the problem then you will not have lost any of the stuff on your hard drive. This is not a rare problem, especially since both the power supply and hard drive are always on.

3. Slicker

Slicker New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Actually, no, you can't do that. Shows transferred to a Tivo/DVD unit will not record to DVD directly. Only shows recorded by the DVD machine can be recorded. (something about the way the recording is done)

You could, however, use TivoToGo to tranfer the shows you want to your computer, and then get them on to a DVD. Assuming you can get the machine to boot. Hopefully, it is just the power supply