Broken eSATA Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jmatthew3, Dec 19, 2011.

1. jmatthew3

jmatthew3 New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    The eSATA drive on my TivoHD just died on me. Because of the current HD shortage, I'm having a hard time finding a replacement. After reading the sticky, i see that there are certain model drives that are inside the My DVR Expander enclosures.

PHP:
    {model=WDC WD5000AVJS-63TRA0 fwrev=12.01C01 bits=0x00000000
    {
    model=WDC WD5000AVVS-63ZWB0 fwrev=01.01B01 bits=0x00000000}
    {
    model=WDC WD5000AVVS-63H0B1 fwrev=05.04C05 bits=0x00000000}
    {
    model=WDC WD10EVVS-63E1B1   fwrev=01.01A01 bits=0x00000000}
    If I can find one of those drives, can I replace the drive inside my enclosure? Also, I can find a "WD10EVVS" on Amazon, but I don't really have a good way to search based on the last 6 digits of model number. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Alternatively, does anyone know a good source that still has some "My DVR Expander" enclosures (preferably 1TB) available?

Thanks!!

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You might be better off upgrading your internal drive to a single larger drive while it's still working. You will have a wider selection of drives to choose from and can keep the old internal drive as a backup. This would require you to connect the old and new drives to a computer and copy the image from your old internal drive to the new drive.

3. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Are you sure it's the drive itself and not the enclosure? Many failures are due to the enclosure electronics and not the drive. I assume you have run the kickstart tests or pulled the drive and run the manufacturer's diagnostics in a PC to confirm failure? eSata cables have also been a frequent point of failure. If the drive passes you can always replace the enclosure with one listed at the beginning of this thread.

In the end, shwru990r's advice to go with an internal drive is probably the best.

4. jmatthew3

jmatthew3 New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Thank you for the suggestion. I am really just looking for the "easy" solution (replacing the drive in the enclosure seemed easy enough - but maybe it's not). There was a time when I could open my Series 1 to add ethernet after the modem died (I still have it in the attic!), but that was a wife and three kids ago. So, I may just try to find a used 500GB external somewhere... or just wait for western digital to get back on track...

5. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    i'd be willing to bet that the drive itself is fine and it's the enclosure that is the problem. I just posted this in another thread, but basically, the failure rate of the expander's casing is ridiculously high. If you're willing to open the case up and put a new drive in, really, upgrading the internal drive of the tivo is just as easy. with WinFMS, it is super easy to do, unlike how we had to do command prompt stuff back in the series 1 and 2 days. Also, the tivoHD's drive is super easy to access. whole process takes <30 minutes. literally.

when my expander died, i took out the drive and used that to upgrade the internal HDD of the tivo, and it's been going strong for 3 years now. So yeah, you get a little less recording capacity not having the 160Gb+500gb, but having a 500gb internal drive ain't bad.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is this thing still under any kind of WD warranty?

If not, see if there's a youtube of how to open the enclosure without using a chainsaw, and then take the drive out and hook it straight to a computer and run the WD diagnostic software long test.

Hard drives are too expensive now to just assume that the drive itself is bad.

7. Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Sorry, but eSata just sucks.

In addition to having two MyDVR expanders fail over the last 3 years, I have had four conventional eSata drives as backup units on my primary PCs, which I keep fully updated. The eSata drives are the cause of painfully slow boot/shutdown times, lockups, etc. I know because as soon as I unplug the drives the slow boot/shutdown times and lockups go away. I have spent a small forture replacing drives, cables and even the motherboard eSata bracket.

Just my opinion, but get a new internal drive.