Broadchurch, Gracepoint, or Both?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MNoelH, Nov 9, 2014.

What should I watch?

1. Broadchurch

77.2%
  2. Gracepoint

8.8%
  3. Both

14.0%
  1. Nov 9, 2014 #1 of 26
    MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas

Advertisements

Have only watched the first episode of Broadchurch. Liked it and not sure why I didn't keep up with it. Now I have to decide if I should continue watching that and then watch Gracepoint or if I should skip watching over one or the other.

Poll coming (I've never done a poll before, so if it isn't there, let's just assume I couldn't figure it out).

2. takeagabu

takeagabu New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    So I watched Broadchurch and the first couple episodes of Gracepoint. I really liked Broadchurch, but I honestly found them to be way too similar, so I stopped watching Gracepoint. It's really hard to have an emotional impact if you know everything.

I am not saying one is better than the other. Just that it's probably better to pick one.

3. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I hope they change up the ending a little, we shall see.

4. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I have not watched Gracepoint, but given it is pretty much a copy, I would definitely prefer the original (which I watched and thought it was pretty good).

5. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002

Advertisements

I liked Broadchurch. Hubby figured it out about 4 episodes in and then wouldn't watch any more. I told him he was wrong. He wasn't. :) I didn't see the ending coming until the final episode.

6. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    Had watched Gracepoint, then d/l Broadchurch to see the difference and ended up watching it to the end. Both are a little dour and slow paced for my tastes, but the brit original is much better cast and that makes the difference. It appears the US remake was only made to exploit syndication. Other than that, there was no reason to make another almost identical version. Our Gracepoint SP has been deleted.

7. Ozzie72

Ozzie72 Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    If you have an inclination to watch both (and I recommend doing that), watch Broadchurch first. If you find your attention waning with the American version, at least you'll have the (IMO) great experience of the original not spoiled by the remake.

8. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Skip Gracepoint

9. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    The original is almost always better than any copy. We're still watching Gracepoint mainly because the wife wants to.

However, there are two extra episodes and they've promised that the ending is different.

If I had to make a choice, I'd go with Broadchurch every time.

10. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I was originally of the "watch the original, skip the remake" school, but I held off voting until now. I didn't think it was fair to judge the two yet because Gracepoint hadn't finished.

Now that we are almost at the end of Gracepoint, I have changed my mind. I had to dump the SP off the Tivo because of Thursday night congestion, but it's available On Demand from Comcast, so I've been catching up by watching it that way.

More time has passed now since I watched Broadchurch, plus watching it an episode a day rather than waiting a week for the next installment has made the re-watch much less of a chore.

This is sort of the TV equivalent of going to different productions of the same play. If you like theatre, and you would go different productions of the same show, then why not watch two versions of the same show? But you sort of have to be in that headspace.

So -- if you're a theatre fan, watch both.

If you're a 'watch one or the other' person and you're an Anglophile, watch Broadchurch.

If you're a 'watch one of the other' person, and you want a US show, watch Gracepoint.

Unless you positively, absolutely can't stand David Tennant, in which case, skip them.

P.S. skip the link if you don't want spoilers, but Variety says that Season 2 of Broadchurch starts in the US on February 4 at 10 p.m. (It starts Jan 5 in the UK) Variety's page has both trailers, the UK and the US.

11. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Does someone want to spoilerize the differences between Broadchurch and Gracepoint with emphasis on who did it and how?

12. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    I'll do it, since I was here to talk about the ending anyway, which was different from the original. Actually, I think it was better. When I was thinking about it last night, I felt it made more sense for at least a couple of reasons, and now in the early morning, I can't remember them all. :eek:

Anyway, here's who did it:
    At first, we're led to believe that Ellie's husband, Joe, killed Danny, just like in the original. And as we're sitting there, pissed off because the producers of the show had promised that it'd end differently, it's revealed that Joe is not the real killer, but is taking the fall for his son, Tom, who killed his best friend Danny accidentally.

More details:
    Tom accidentally killed Danny while trying to attack his dad to protect Danny from Joe, the would-be child molester. Ellie eventually learns the truth from Tom, but does not come forward with the information. After all, Joe was having an inappropriate relationship with Danny, which obviously would have eventually become sexual if he'd been able to convince Danny to go along with it. So she's perfectly willing to let Joe suffer the legal consequences for Danny's death (after all, Danny wouldn't have died if not for Joe's inappropriate relationship with the boy), and she'll do what she needs to in order to protect her son. At the very end, we see Detective Carver (David Tennant's character) rewatching the video of his earlier questioning of Tom, and apparently realizing that Joe was covering up for his son Tom's (accidental) killing of his best friend. Carver appears to be about to take some kind of action regarding his realization, but we don't learn what he decides to do.

13. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    If anyone missed it in the British Shows thread, there's a new season of Broadchurch starting in the UK on January 5th.

[/QUOTE]

14. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    I won't spoil, but the ending felt like a twist put in at the last moment in order to make a slight difference. Whether or not it was better, this series felt like it ended with a thud to me. I don't know what the ratings were for the finale and I know they ticked up a bit for episode 9, but there was no buzz about the finale at all that I'm aware of. It felt like the extended wait with week off or the holiday lost any momentum or enthusiasm. Personally, I thought the original was just OK and yet vastly superior to the US copy. This might do well when it reaches Netflix/hulu/Amazon as a binge watch.

15. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i really enjoyed the last 2 or 3 eps of gp. early on i had correctly identified the killer (without the motive or the twist), it ended up a roller coaster for me:

i suspected joe was covering for tom based on my prediction, but didn't foresee his attempted molestation, or that danny's death was accidental.

i was initially disturbed ellie was successful in allowing joe to cover for tom, but the added twist of carver's realization was enough to save the finale for me.
    i was pleased enough with gp enough to watch a second season, and to give broadchurch a second chance some day - i dumped out of bc halfway into the first ep.

16. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Major spoilers for the ending of Broadchurch and Gracepoint:

In Broadchurch, I did not really understand why he did not drop the body off the cliff and avoid the whole complicated boat thing. But at least in BC, it looked like the boy died of strangulation.

In Gracepoint, since the boy died of a blow to the head, dropping the body off the cliff (and having it bang and roll against the cliff) might make it look like he just fell. And in GP, the father had the added motivation that he wanted to cover it up to protect his son. In BC, that motivation was not as strong, since he was of half a mind to admit his crime. So in BC there is at least a hint of why he did not drop the body off the cliff. But in GP, there seems no reason at all.

17. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Glad I didn't watch. The new ending seems clumsy.

18. paracelsus

paracelsus Member

Jun 23, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I too thought the GP ending was better than the BC ending. The BC ending always had that error in finger orientation for a strangulation death as depicted in the scene, which bugged me and the motivation was always an unresolved :confused: for me. At least with GP I could understand the evidence showing what had happened and the motivation for the confession.

Not sure where they'll be going in Season 2 of BC, but saw ads for it on BBCA for February, 2015 (link above wouldn't work for me in the US).

19. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    A bit disappointed. The change was just a twist, and felt like it was added at the last second. Still enjoyed watching it and seeing Tennant struggle with an American accent. Looking forward to s2 of BC.

20. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    If you approach the two versions like Rashomon the two endings can both be true at the same time.

It's somewhat like Tolkien's ret-con about the two different versions of the riddle-game chapter in The Hobbit.

One of the things I'd like to do now is re-watch both shows to see how things were played.

It may turn out like the (no plot spoilers) episode of Star Trek: TNG, "Hollow Pursuits", which can come across like a completely different story on a second viewing.