Broadcast statoin issue, or something else?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by LoREvanescence, Nov 11, 2008.

1. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

Advertisements

I have been having a strange issue since Thursday night with WWLP-DT (NBC HD) via over the air reception.

I have a signal strength that is holding steady at 85 percent, and an snr of 22 Db. However, this station is nothing but a blank black video feed with no audio. Analog reception of this station is still fine, and I can also get a SD digital version from direct tv, but I'm starting to miss HD. I'm also starting to wonder if this issue might just be me, as they have not mentioned any issues on air, nor has anything been posted on AVS Forum yet.

Does anyone have any idea's what is causing this issue? My recordings are still recording, just blank. I can transfer a whole show of just blank black video to my laptop.

Another oddity I have noticed. This stations sub channel, one of those weather plus station like things has been down the whole summer, just blank black video like the current issue I have, but the main hd channel came in perfect the last 5 months, no macroblocking or drop outs. On that sub channel, my series 3 now displays "CableCARD Decodes may be required..." My S3 is currently set up for OTA only. It is not hooked up to cable as cable tv does not exist in my home town.

Edit: Update on dionostics today. I lied, kit appears since Friday no more recordings are taking place. They now have an error that says "This recording was not recorded because the video signal was unavailable. " I also found, by changing the letter box color to gray, the channel comes in gray, and not black. The same issue I had for encrpyted channels on comcast when I was at my university.

here is the info from the Diagnostics screen, may be some one will know better what would be causing this error:

Tuner: 0
    Channel: 22-1
    Frequency: 201000 KHz
    Modulation: 8-VSB
    Connector Type RF
    Signal Source: Terrestrial
    CableCARD Association: None
    Signal Strength: 81
    Signal Lock: Yes
    Program Lock: No
    Search Complete: Yes
    SNR: 26 dB
    RS Uncorrected: 0
    RS Corrected: 15
    RS Connected: 17
    RC State: Available
    Current Tuning Status: Tuned: Success
    Tune State: In progress
    Last Used Channel Plan: Undefined
    CCI Byte: N/A
    Time Since Tune Start: 456 Seconds (counting)
    Time Since Signal Lock: (same as above, counting up)
    RCR PID: -
    Audio PID: -
    Video PID: -
    Resolution Status: -
    Pending Tune Status: No tune Pending

My guess is it has something to do with Program Lock being no, but what would cause that. And why would that start up if its been fine for 5 months?

Edit:

Letting the TiVo sit on the primary HD channel log enough, it will eventually put up the the CableCARD message:

"Channel not available. You may need CableCARD decoders to view this channel. Contact your cable provider for more information"

What would cause this on OTA?!?!?!

2. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Well, I called TiVo tech support on this issue. Since the station said it wasn't them and other people were getting the channel in the area. Rebooting my tivo box did not help with this issue.

TiVo had me go back through the guided set up. After completing the guided set up, the channel was up and working again.

It seems like I ran into a bug somehow with the tivo software of some sort. I'm glad going through guided setup again worked. Just strange that rebooting, or channel scan did not fix the issue.

With a video signal problem with a single channel, I did not even think about trying to go back through guided setup.

3. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    If the station made some behind the scenes changes it can cause receivers like Tivo to lose track of what channel goes to what video and audio stream. Rerunning guided setup likely caused the tivo to refresh its map.

A good troubleshooting step is to connect the antenna to your tv and see if it has problems. If the station is having problems the channel number may not be what you usually see and there won't be any guide data.

4. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

I did attempt to trouble shoot with my tv, and that too would not tune the channel. After doing a new program scan the tv started to work too.

I did attempt a channel scan a few times on my own before I called TiVo, and that did not seem to work on the tivo, but repeating guided setup did.

It also turns out, after posting on avsforums, this station did indeed do updates last Thursday. And that is likely what happened. I just have never seen this situation arise before and was a little confused. The station still is on the same feq, and still maps to the same virtual location, so I dunno.