Bring the Funny--NBC Summer comedy competition

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Mikeguy, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I've had recorded episodes of Bring the Funny (NBC Summer comedy competition show) on in the background today, and I am amazed at the amount of talent that is out there. Reassuring, actually.

2. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I couldn't stop laughing at the skit with the Robot Doctor

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    We usually don't like these talent shows, but I'm enjoying this one because I'm a fan of comedy. It's a bit weird to me thought that the panel often picks the worst of the two in these head to heads, and in the early rounds they pick the ones I didn't like to move on. Maybe my comedy taste is different.

I'm still trying to figure out what Chrissy Teagan has to do with comedy and what qualifies her as a judge? Or did they just have trouble finding a woman to be on the panel?

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Probably as much as Sean Spicer has to do with dancing and being qualified to judge it.

5. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Except that, SS is not being presented as a judge, he simply is a contestant--the judges on DWTS are way-credentialed. In contrast, CT simply is a "celebrity" sitting as a judge, with no more credentials than the average viewer. It's a shame, including for the contestants, that her position was not filled with someone more qualified in the field--I hear that there are a few of them around . . . .

6. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    CT has more credentials than i do simply by being famous. She is famous for dominating twitter with a sense of humor, so that qualifies her to judge what she thinks is funny. While I appreciate the feedback from the professional comedians, sometimes a judge needs to see things from an amateur perspective.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I've watched a couple of eps of this I think.. I know at least one, and will catch up at some point. I like the idea, but it seems to me like the Last Comic Standing was MUCH more entertaining, even after they removed the "real world" part of it (them all living together).

8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I also liked "Last Comic Standing" more--you got to know the comics better. In contrast, "Bring the Funny" feels more rushed.

But with either, so much talent out there! I was blown away by a couple of comic singing duos/trios this week--just so creative, on multiple fronts. As I said, it's reassuring to see.

9. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I had a hard time getting through even the first episode...I couldn't even make a good smile let alone an actual laugh. Is this thing supposed to get better in later episodes?

10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I find it way variable, understandably depending on the particular performers.

11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Huh? So since she's famous that makes her automatically qualified to judge comedy? Does that means she's qualified to do the following:

1) Fly to the moon?
    2) Become a master chef?
    3) Solve the middle east crisis?
    4) Pitch in the World Series?

She's famous because
    1) She's married to John Legend
    2) She has a big mouth on Twitter

She's got the same qualifications as I do to judge a comedy show and I'm probably a whole lot funnier. She's on there because some consider her eye candy and she's "famous", but her qualifications stop there. Amy Schumer, Ellen, Sarah Silverman, to name three are all much more qualified than she is.

12. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

My guess is there are acts that the producers wanted to get to the finals so it was skewed that way. But we'll see now that "we" vote.

13. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    She hosts Lip Sync Battle with LL Cool J since 2015. Perhaps her experience in hosting other music related "game shows" factored in.

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I've watched a few episodes of that as well. My impression there is, again, she's just a "pretty face" that adds little to the show. Heck, I'm not even sure she's qualified to do that. But being a "host" of a music show makes her qualified to judge how funny someone is? Color me confused. She's a glorified Carol Merrill:

Carol Merrill - Wikipedia

15. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I’m sure it was just a backdoor way to give John Legend more compensation for The Voice.

mattack and Steveknj like this.
  16. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    She's famous for a whole lot more than this. I get that you don't like her, and I can see your argument that she doesn't have the comedic background to be a judge of comedy. However, she's more than these two statements.

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    OK, I'll bite, what is she famous for?

I'd never heard of her before I saw her on Lip Sync Battle. I don't follow people on Twitter or watch much You Tube unless I'm researching something.

18. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep--she should be a judge on "America's Next Top Model," not here.

19. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    She was a model.

20. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Yeah, i'm not much of a Twitter follower or YouTube viewer either.

As you mentioned, a big add is her hosting on Lip Sync Battle. she was a well-known model, and was a co-host of a talk show for about a year that I can't remember the name of offhand. She's also known for being a foodie, and has put out 1 or 2 cookbooks.

She's probably been in a movie or two, but I don't really follow her career that closely. She got my attention from some news spots that one year for her birthday she got an entire wheel of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese from Italy, which is the stuff my dreams are made of. :)