Bring back the old Tivo guy's face!

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by kujo999, Feb 21, 2018.

1. kujo999

kujo999 New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    What was the rationale for making the Tivo guy faceless and grey? It's so sad. If this was a design decision it was a bad one. Part of the fun of Tivo was the colorful Tivo Guy who would wiggle his attennae and tap his feet. But sadly no more.

Was that a legal decision?

If it is at all possible it would be great to have his personality black. The Tivo experience is so dull and lifeless now. I was hoping it would change with Hydra but he's still a shadow of his old self.

So sad.

2. anthem11

anthem11 New Member

May 15, 2012
    [​IMG]

foghorn2 likes this.
  3. kujo999

kujo999 New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    LOL! The OTHER Tivo guy. :)

anthem11 likes this.
  4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    A company's perceived need to update (and/or, bureaucratic change)? "Modernization"? To try to be seen as "non-frivolous"? Design-wise, for simpler/less-expensive reproduction (only B&W/gray tones now)?

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    It certainly doesn't meet a modern design standard. It is more like a children's doodle than the brand of a mature and serious technology company. Those colorful and childish brands were rather popular in the bubblegum neon 90's, but did not age well as technology and technology firms matured.

Reminds me of Hot Tub Time Machine, the guys are skying down in their grey and black ski wear and everyone is wearing bright colorful 1980's ski wear.

"Dude, is there some kind of retro thing going on here?"

tim1724 and Mikeguy like this.
  6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I agree with the explanation. But dang, some frivolity and fun in life is good and deserves a place. :)

bradleys likes this.
  7. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    I like the old animation of the tivo man sliding down the slide then morphing between time periods and stuff, at one point there was a Godzilla type thing.

It was modern, I mean, there was a Prius in the background :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    Hmm. Looking at videos on youtube, it seems my memory has morphed the Tivo HD and Tivo Premiere startup videos into one singular memory. LOL. I don't really remember an exact date, but somewhere along the line, my Premiere stopped playing the startup animation when it was power-cycled.

Kinda sad, I thought the animation was cute.

sharkster and Mikeguy like this.
  9. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    Anyone know offhand what sequence of buttons need to be pressed to watch the startup animation?

10. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It would have been nice to allow a few developers at TiVo to create a "classic" skin of the Hydra interface paying proper homage to the original graphic designs, and allow people to switch between the two. A "geek" mode, if you will.

Or they could take the Tesla approach and have little differences unlock and appear on special occasions/holidays.

Or perhaps a fee-based choice of UI styles...

11. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    My Roku TV is like that. There are a few free skins, a few for a small payment, and it changes up the default skins for various holidays, there were snowmen and falling snow during December.

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    If it works for your box/model: TiVo + 0 (if I recall correctly, doesn't work on, e.g., the Bolt and Roamio)

Secret TiVo Tips and Tweaks

Less cool, but YouTube is a good playing source, and people have posted YouTube links/TiVo animation videos here as well.

Walking TIVO Man

13. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Or... It's an attempt to appease "The Greys". A push to a neutral based gender ideology. Your pick :rolleyes:

kujo999 likes this.
  14. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    It’s symbolic of what Rovi is doing to TiVo. It’s a shell of its former self.

headless chicken and philco782 like this.
  15. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    What does the TiVo logo's face or not have to do with "neutral based gender ideology"?

16. John Gillespie

John Gillespie Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    I thought it was TiVO turning its back on their customers.

philco782 likes this.
  17. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    These threads are like weeds. I can't explain it. Too much free time?

18. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    almost every post, in multiple threads, have called the rendering a guy, dude, man, etc. I was shining a light, while making lite, of that fact. Why call the TiVo insignia anything gender based at all? It's simply a logo made by a company who decided it was time to refresh their brand as they see fit. Labeling it any other way sounds weird to me.

19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I think it's a facet of the English language: we don't have a short, gender-neutral term for a personification--"person" might be the shortest (although some people would say that "guy," especially when used in the plural, is an option). And the logo does have legs, and used to have a face, and so the anthropomorphizing seems a natural, which we seem to like to do (Dory the fish does not really speak English). But there often does seem to have been a default in language to the masculine singular when gender has been unknown, changing in the past more recent years, to a degree.

20. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I grew in CA, FWIW, and phrases like 'you guys' or 'hey, guys', etc, were pretty much gender neutral. I've heard some (very few) women being offended by this, but not I nor anybody I really know.

When I've seen 'Tivo guy' I've never actually thought 'man'.

Not that any of this really matters. ;) I did like the Tivo guy having a face and I really thought the animated start up bits were really cute and fun. I have missed both of those things. I don't fret it, however.

rdrrepair, Mikeguy and philco782 like this.