Brighthouse user - told that I will lose a lot of HD channels with Cablecard

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kryan2, Jun 1, 2011.

1. kryan2

kryan2 New Member

May 28, 2011
    Live in Detroit area. Brighthouse is installing Cablecard in my TiVo premier tomorrow, and I was going to have them take the hd box I have from them (not a dvr). I'm told by just using the TiVo box and their Cablecard I will lose a lot of hd channels because their cards are not bidirectional? What should I do?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Keep the box on the TV, Tivo will not have a few features like OnDemand.

3. kryan2

kryan2 New Member

May 28, 2011
    We don't use ondemand. As for keep the box, do you mean the HD box from Brighthouse to use in conjunction with TiVo?

4. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    While I don't have Brighthouse, the only channels you should lose are OnDemand Channels. I can't think of any reason why any other channel would need to be bi-directional.

Now, if they are saying that is the case because they use SDV (Switched Digital Video), which based on a quick Google search it looks like they do, then they are half right. If you have just a Cable Card you won't be able to get the SDV channels without a tuning adapter. Brighthouse should provide you with a tuning adapter. However, it appears Brighthouse Detroit (I used Zip 48331 - not sure if this is correct) Does not have tuning adapters yet. If you go to this link and put in your zip it will say if you have them or not: http://support.brighthouse.com/Article/Tuning-Adapter-3127/

Just to double check I put in an Orlando, FL zip (32819) and they do have them which is odd. Tuning adapters are not proprietary to one cable company versus another and they have been around since 2008.

If I were you I would use the TiVo for OTA only until Brighthouse starts using tuning adapters in your area, or return it and keep your cable box. You will end up continuing to pay for channels you can't access if you don't use a tuning adapter.

Also I would file a complaint with the FCC here: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm?sid=d1e664&id=d1e752

5. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Keep the TiVo and return the Brighthouse; sounds like they're just trying to get you to stick with their box.

6. kryan2

kryan2 New Member

May 28, 2011
    Thanks for t he input

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You should be able to get a Tuning Adapter from Brighthouse free for one year. That will give you access to the SDV channels.