1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bridged mode while keeping MOCA devices on DPC3848VM

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by virtual-liquid, Jul 12, 2018.

1. virtual-liquid

virtual-liquid New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Hello all.

I am a bit stumped on this one.

I am currently using a DPC3848VM in "normal" mode with MOCA enabled for the 4 devices connected via coax. I would like to disable all firewall abilities and place this modem in a DMZ as I have a much better hardware firewall behind the DPC3848VM for my LAN. I would like to put the modem in Bridged mode but still keep the MOCA devices enabled over the coax.

However when I put the modem in bridged mode, I seem to loose all connectivity to it and it appears to try and change its local subnet from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.x, even if I statically assign each MAC address for each MOCA device, then put it in bridged mode none of that seems to have any affect and does not hold, not to mention they are now in a different assigned static network of 192.168.0.x, when the modem is now in a 192.168.1.x subnet.

I would like to avoid running wire in my home as it has 2 floors and would be a big pain to do.

So the question is:

Is there anyway to keep MOCA enabled while placing the modem in a DMZ mode and passing all WAN traffic to my firewall behind the DPC3848VM, except for the MOCA traffic? I am sure this is not possible but figured I would ask.

Also the reason I need to do this, is because I am unable to port forward VoIP and VPN traffic correctly through essentially 2 firewalls, my internal firewall is seeing my WAN ip of 192.168.0.246, when I need it to see my actuall WAN IP.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No, because you’re disabling all router functionality in the gateway and converting it, effectively, into just a modem; the MoCA bridging capability is disabled in the process because there’s no longer a LAN (defined by the gateway’s router and firewall functionality, now disabled) internal to the gateway to which to bridge.

It’s easy enough to remedy by installing a standalone MoCA adapter at the modem/router location to bridge between the coax plant and the ~new~ router’s LAN.

edit: p.s. See here for some MoCA adapter alternatives: MoCA adapter shopping list. Motorola’s MM1000 is the best value for MoCA 2.0, but the MoCA 1.1 WCB3000N is a value option if cost-averse — noting that the WCB3000N lacks a pass-through port and so would also require a splitter to install parallel to the modem (neutered gateway) on your coax.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    fcfc2 likes this.
  3. virtual-liquid

virtual-liquid New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Thanks for that, that is what I figured. But I did not know there were MoCA adapters, that might be the fix I need. Thanks!

krkaufman likes this.