Bridge required for networking?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by sortsol, Mar 17, 2006.

1. sortsol

sortsol New Member

Jan 7, 2005

Advertisements

Hi,

I have zippered my tivo (well, half way I guess). I haven't telnetted to it yet. I have ordered a usb->ethernet adapter that should arrive soon.

My question is centered around I see a lot of people talking about a need for a bridge. Is that required even if I have a router? This will be a purely wired connection (no wireless). My intent was just to plug a the netgear usb-> ethernet adapter into my tivo, and have a wire going from that into my router. Will that work?

Second question. Is there anything that is suppose to look different after running the zipper (software wise)? When I boot it up, it looks the same as it did before. I'm assuming that is what is suppose to happen.

Thanks,

Mike

2. starbiker99

starbiker99 1 Tivo 2 Tivo 3 Tivo

Feb 4, 2005
    Parker, CO
    No you will not need a bridge. That is only needed if you do not have a wire from the router or switch to the Tivo. Go to system info and see if it says backdoors enabled. Once the Tivo is connected to your network and you are running Tivo Desktop or JavaHMO on your PC you will then notice more on your Tivo. ;)

3. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    1 - just your router is fine.

2 - There would be a new item in the menu for Music and pictures (I think), look around in the menus you'll see some things. Otherwise correct it should look preety much the same.

4. sortsol

sortsol New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Great. Thank for the replys. Makes sense now.

Mike