Bridge Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by bhoch99, Dec 17, 2019.

1. bhoch99

bhoch99 Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Trying to use my mini with a tp-link ac750 ethernet bridge but getting stuck. The bridge seems like it is working fine, I can use it with the ethernet port on my laptop without any issue. The mini is able to make a Tivo service connection but is unable to see my Roamio DVR. I've done guided setup , i've restarted both devices. I've gone in & tried to reselect the host dvr but the mini says they are not available. Spent an hour troubleshooting with tivo support with no success. The mini works fine when hard wired to my network, so there's something with the bridge, just not sure what it is. The bridge is in client mode. Any help is greatly appreciated

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Doesn't the bridge have a bridge mode? Also, you can disable the 2.4GHz transmitter if your router supports 5GHz.

I'm using an RE580D right now. What model router?

On the router, has it assigned an IP address to the bridge? Can you access the bridge with your computer?

I assume the Mini can "see" the host, but it's grayed out? Usually a reboot of the bridge fixes that. I have two Mini using RE6500 at the moment.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  3. bhoch99

bhoch99 Member

Jan 21, 2003
  4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have one of those. I was going to use it as a hotspot, but never had time to mess with it. I will try tomorrow.

BTW, the usual steps are:
    power off router, host, bridge and Mini.
    Power up router. When it's done:
    power up TiVo,
    When it's done power up bridge,
    When it's done power up Mini.

'Till tomorrow.

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    How is your Roamio box set up: WiFi, Ethernet, ?

6. bhoch99

bhoch99 Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Roamio is ethernet direct to the main router

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Try using the AP or Access Point setting.
    I suspect that whatever setting you are using is creating a different network of it's own, the AP setting should eliminate that and connect you back to the proper network.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You may be right.

I just spent an hour trying to make it work. Set the switch (but then it asks you to select the mode?), and could configure it to work but it wouldn't give me internet access. My router gave me an IP address, and I tried to set one manually. Nothing seemed to give me access.

Sorry. Like I said, I'm using other TP-Link devices and have no problems.

9. bhoch99

bhoch99 Member

Jan 21, 2003
    I'm willing to try different AP hardware. I like this one because it doesn't block other electrical outlets & seems small & easy to use & the price was right. But if it doesn't work, I'm willing to consider something else.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The cheapest item I could find:
    https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-AC1900-Dual-Band-Extender-RE580D/dp/B010S6RYUY and they have refurb cheaper.

I'm using one to connect 5 devices, including this PC, to the internet at the moment. It's not full of options. If you want more style, then look at the DAP-1650.

Rereading post 1, the problem is that the Mini can not "see" the Roamio. Otherwise it works. I would look at Network Settings/Network Troubleshooting/Network Status and compare the numbers. The only difference should be the last octet of the IP addresses and the MAC addresses.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Ok, I played "user". I pushed the reset button. Then I started by logging in. I changed to Bridge mode. Then I hit next, where it couldn't see my 2.4GHz band. I entered the password (same for both bands) and hit Next all the way to the end. It worked. I pulled the USB power and walked over to a Mini and connected the USB and Ethernet. Upon boot (the Mini was in Standby), I got a normal "Failed to find network" C301 error. I power cycled the Mini. When it came up it was happy and everything works.

I don't know why it failed to see my 2.4GHz band which is working fine. I really don't like TP-Link hardware. :)