Bricked Premiere attempting to recover from S303 - options?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by oldsyd, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Jun 9, 2020 #1 of 21
    oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    Hi everyone,

I was getting the "Problem loading info (S303)" error and my Premiere wasn't updating the guide. (see attached) I poked around here and read some threads and most seemed to suggest that the guide DB was corrupt and that clearing the guide data and To Do list was the best option. So, I started that and now several days later it's stuck on the "Clearing Guide data & the To Do List...This may take up to an hour." screen (attached).

I did some further reading and found out that this is a known bug and now it might possibly be unrecoverable?

I hadn't run a Kickstart 57 or 58 for fear that it would do harm, but now I'm wondering if I should have done that first :confused:

• Can I recover from this and retain my recordings?
    • If not, what's the best recommended method for restoring to factory defaults?
    I'm pretty comfortable with UNIX and Windows and hacking away at stuff but it's been about 7 years since I've worked on my TiVo and wanted to see what the community thought.

Thanks for reading,
    Jay

s303.jpg
    clearing.jpg

2. Jun 9, 2020 #2 of 21
    powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    At this point, I believe kickstart 57 is the only approach that won't delete all of your recordings.

oldsyd likes this.
  3. Jun 9, 2020 #3 of 21
    oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    Thanks, I'll try it out and report what happens.

4. Jun 9, 2020 #4 of 21
    oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    I've tried the Weaknees Kickstart method and some other variations but the Premiere basically acts like I didn't do anything and keeps booting until it freezes on the ""Clearing Guide data & the To Do List...This may take up to an hour." screen.

Looks like the Kickstart utilities are located on the drive, so I'm guessing it's not working because that's corrupt now too.

Thinking I need to either run Spinrite or WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics on the drive from my Windows computer. Doesn't the Premiere use some sort of proprietary UNIX filesystem? I can't just run FSCK on it from a bootable live distro like MFSLive?

5. Jun 9, 2020 #5 of 21
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  6. Jun 9, 2020 #6 of 21
    oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    Yes, that's the thread I read earlier where I figured out I probably killed it.

I'm running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics on it now to see if the drive is failing or if I just have a corrupted MFS.

7. Jun 9, 2020 #7 of 21
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    KS57 is your best bet.

-KP

8. oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    Any tips on getting KS57 to run on it? I'm using the Weaknees method for Premiere units. I also tried pressing pause a couple times, holding it down for 3 seconds, etc. It never does step 5.

1. If you have a remote+dongle that is in RF mode, you will need to put it in IR mode before running the kickstart procedure. Press TiVo + C to enter IR mode. (To put the remote back in RF mode, press and hold the TiVo+Green D buttons until the amber light flashes.)

2. You will need to restart the box and wait for the green light to come on.

3. When you see the yellow/amber light begin to flash, hold the PAUSE button on the remote. You will have approximately 10 seconds to do this.

IMPORTANT: Do not continuously hold down the pause button.

4. You will release the PAUSE button and you will have approximately 10 seconds to press the kickstart code (see below) on the remote control.

5. If you are successful, the blue and amber lights will blink in alternating patterns to indicate the code has been accepted. Do not stop the TiVo rebooting, this is normal, and if you were successful it will bring you to the black and white kickstart screen.

9. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    This is the tricky part.

I think on mine, once the Amber Light began to flash, I'd rapidly press the Pause Button until I got the correct response. Then punch in the 57.

If it doesn't take, kill power and try it again. The timing from Amber Light to 57 is the critical part.

-KP

oldsyd likes this.
  10. oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    I finally got it - I think I was hitting pause too quickly when I first saw the amber light flash. When I waited a second longer, then it worked. It's on the Green Screen now, so I'll see what happens in the morning.

PS - The long WD Data Lifeguard test also passed with no errors prior to this.

11. oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    Now the Premiere is in a boot loop of booting to the green screen for a few minutes and then rebooting. Back to the drawing board I guess :mad:

12. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Can you get to KS58?

(very) Worst case is you have to fully reinstall the OS.

There's people around here that would more than likely provide you a fresh image to do that.

-KP

13. oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    I was able to get it to accept a KickStart 58 but it's still looping the green screen. I also tried a KS 54 but it didn't go to the SMART test menu instead it just looped the green screen. So, I'm thinking it's not accepting anymore KS codes and it's locked into the first KS 57 I ran.

When I bought this Premiere I pulled the drive before even powering it on and copied it over and expanded it to the current 1TB drive. I kept the virgin drive, so I'm hoping I can just copy and expand it using MFSTools.

I think the command I need is "mfstool copy -a /dev/sda /dev/sdb"

14. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The software on your factory drive is probably too old to update to the newer guide data, and will just end up in a connect - reboot loop. I have clean images running 20.7.4 or later that you can restore with DvrBARS in a few minutes. What model is your Premiere?

fcfc2 likes this.
  15. oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    Thanks, I thought I'd read enough threads to have this planned out - but apparently not o_O

It's a model TCD746320

Does DvrBARS expand to the non-OEM drive size or do I need to do another step to expand it?

-Jay

16. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I have pre-expanded images for most drive sizes up to 4TB. I sent you the 1TB version, but let me know if you need a different size.

oldsyd likes this.
  17. oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    Thanks! It's a 1TB drive, so that should work.

18. oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    Thanks Greg - that worked flawlessly. Ye Olde Premiere is up and running again. After boot, it caught up and has Software Version 20.7.4b.RC3-746-2-746 now. 156 HD hours available on drive, MBT temperature is holding around 35. I gently vacuumed the dust out of where I could with a horsehair anti-static brush. It's a lifetime sub, so I'm trying to keep it alive as long as possible. I'm debating replacing the fan before it dies sometime when I'm not paying attention.

I sent a small donation through DVRBars in appreciation for the work you've done.

Also, thanks to @kpeters59 for the help diagnosing the issue.

-Jay

target_drive.jpg

kpeters59 likes this.
  19. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I love it when a plan comes together. Happy Endings. :)

oldsyd likes this.
  20. oldsyd

oldsyd Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Iowa
    I'm also going to assume that I should never run the "Clearing Guide data & the To Do List" process again because this always makes problems worse, correct?