Breakout Kings 5/22/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by smallwonder, May 23, 2011.

1. smallwonder

smallwonder Age quod agis

Jun 13, 2001
    MD, USA
    Anyone still watching? I've gutted thru the entire season hoping it would get better but none of the characters has proven to be even remotely likable. The lead Marshal is not that bright, the halfway house Marshal is a thug, and the cons are caricatures.

Hard to believe that the Marshals, who are supposed to be the professionals, continuously treat the cons like scum but they're all supposed to be a team. And the girl con's backstory is ludicrous. Five time convicted murderer and she didn't get death?

I'm a glutton for punishment but after next week's ep i think i'm done.

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm still watching. It's a totally ridiculous show but for some reason I keep watching. The girl and the shrink are useful. I have no idea what Shea brings to the table other than being a ghetto gang leader and being a (fake) tough guy every once in a while. I can understand the Marshall and the ex-Marshall being tough on them but they should throw them a bone every once in a while. Buy them a pizza and some beer every once in a while. I think I'm in lust with the tech girl.

3. smallwonder

Jun 13, 2001
    MD, USA
    Shea's character is under-developed and the writers don't know how to focus it on a strength. They fluctuate between financial smarts, theft and a contrast to Jimmi Simpson's intellectual. The girl is eyecandy and they justify her presence by letting her solve a single part of the puzzle each week.

Only Simpson's character is of value each case. They should've left the Miss USA con from the pilot. She made sense. The hacker girl is like Penelope on Criminal Minds; how does she have access to all these databases real-time?

4. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    But Shea has no strengths that the two Marshalls already should have in abundance between them. At least they told us that Eyecandy Girl was a bounty hunter so she knows what a clue is. I'm not saying she's a realistic character, just that she's valuable as written.

The hacker girl is the generic hacker person from every other tv show who has access to all data at all times.

Honestly, this show isn't worth the brain power I've invested in these two posts. :)

5. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I'm still fully onboard. Nice little procedural show for a Sunday evening.

Despite how this episode ended, they're obviously planning some kind of shakeup for the finale next week.

6. smallwonder

Jun 13, 2001
    MD, USA
    I think this observation is my real problem. Aside from the psychiatrist, the Marshals shouldn't need Erica OR Shea. They're a fugitive task force; they shouldn't need help catching escapees. It's what they're trained to do.

LOL! You're right. I'm over thinking it. :D. SP deleted.

7. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The next episode is the season finale. Might as well stick with it to the bitter end.

I finally watched the 5/22 episode and Shea actually did something significant that nobody else on the team could have done. His stint in prison was pretty ridiculous but he did get the info.

8. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Dumped my SP and all the stored episodes thanks to this thread.

I really wanted to like it because of Herc but the new girl ruined it for me. They should have kept the original con artist. It actually felt good to clear up the space. :)