Breaking Bad "Shotgun" OAD 8/14/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bierboy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Wow....another great final scene around the dinner table. You could cut the tension with a chain saw. You could see Walt's wheels turning, and he finally had enough of the Heisenberg praise. His ego will eventually be his downfall. And now, Hank's got a reason to live (or at least get off his lazy a$$)...

2. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    Fantastic episode, I believe we are seeing the beginning of the end of this series. AMC and Sony now have an agreement for the next season. As we know next season things will wrap up, how no one knows, but I bet it will come down to Walt and Hank.

3. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Oh, and I could see Skylar jumping Walt's bones coming (so to speak) a mile away...and glad to see it :D

No way this series ends well....for many of the characters...

4. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Yup, now that we know there will be one final 16 episode season I expect each episode to be very very good. Obviously this season was done before they know how many more there would be but last night's was good. Wine + Ego = Hank back on the case lol. Hank never struck me as a smart investigator though. Not the cerebral type.

5. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    At first I thought he was getting worried that Skylar would realize that Gale was somehow connected to him, and that he had withheld information about how much danger he was in.

But no, of course not. He was worried that Gale was getting all the credit!

I think his excuse to Skylar is going to be that he wanted to give Hank something to occupy his mind so that he wouldn't be as depressed.

6. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I'm really surprised Skylar hasn't figured out that Gale was part of the "team" and isn't getting freaked out about the murder.

7. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think she knew something was up. My guess they didn't have enough time this episode to go into Skylar vs Hank over the realization of what she is now involved with.

8. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    It's just gettin' better....

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Gus is a genius.

Who is dealing Gus' blue meth on the streets? If it still being dealt on the streets, the DEA, FBI and local cops should have the lower levels of the hierarchy figured out by now. Junkies and petty criminals talk.

10. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I agree with everybody else who said this was a great episode. Awesome. The hour was over before I knew it. I liked all the threads in this episode. I had no idea where the Jesse thread was going until he explained the money drops. The fact the ambush was an arranged setup wasn't that surprising, but I didn't predict it before hand.

11. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Ah, Walt. Your hubris is your hamartia. Or something like that.

Great episode in a great season in a great series.

12. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I thought they spent too much time on the Jesse subplot. And given his current mental state the prospect of him becoming the hero was quite a long shot.

Still love the show but thought this one missed.

13. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Another fabulous episode! There was so much nuance that I wish I hadn't deleted it after watching. I was listening to the Breaking Bad Insider podcast where they said that when Walt Jr. was drinking his coffee it was in a Hedecker cup, the company headed up by his old lab buddy whose wife Walt had a fling with...

The opening scene was tense, yet tinged with humor. They shot the Aztek as if it was product placement! The camera down by the wheel with the Aztek logo prominently displayed was priceless.

I agree, Gus is a genius. It's also clear that he at very least knows the value of Walt & Jesse. There was also a parallel between Jesse needing to snap out of his funk, as well as Hank doing the same thing. Good old Walt, getting drunk, letting his ego take over, and giving Hank the drive that will quite possibly bring about his own end.

Equally interesting is that Hank's not following up on the hint Walt gave about Gale not being Heisenberg, he's following up on Gale's being a vegan yet having Los Pollos Hermanos flyers.

Greg

14. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    They are wrong. It was a Beneke mug, the company that Skylar worked for and had an affair with her boss.

[​IMG]

15. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    They're probably right and I remembered wrong. Either way, it was a nice touch.

Greg

16. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    i was darn proud of myself for noticing that cup watching in SD...

17. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Walt gave the mug an angry stare. ;) That's what drew my attention to it.

18. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Anyone figure out yet if there's anything special about the episode titles this season? (Last season, the titles of the episodes that featured the teddy bear in the pool spelled out "737 DOWN OVER ABQ" when strung together). Doesn't look like Vince Gilligan is doing anything along those lines this season. The only pattern I can discern is that a few of the episode titles have double meanings, where both meanings apply. Like "Bullet Points" for the episode that involved the Pollo truck getting all shot up and also featured Skylar's methodical development of the card shark cover story; or "Shotgun," for this episode which involved Jesse riding shotgun with Mike and then ultimately having to deal with the (staged) attackers wielding shotguns. I recall thinking "Open House" had a double meaning, too, but right now the only part I can remember is Marie's visiting the open houses and stealing from them - I can't recall the second meaning I was thinking of at the time. Anyhow, while double-meaning titles are clever, they're not really along the same lines as 737 Down Over ABQ, which is more meta. I just wonder if that was a one-and-done type of thing, or if we'll in hindsight realize Gilligan is doing something similar now, as well.

19. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Or when Walt went into the chemistry lecture about the color of Manganese on Hank's "minerals." Nothing like reminding Hank that you're a chemistry geek.

Funny. Just as I was wondering where Walt, Jr. was, thinking that they didn't hire him back, he's walks into the scene.