Breaking Bad "Problem Dog" OAD 8.28.11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bierboy, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Jesse - "What about Mike?"
    Walt - "One homicidal maniac at a time."

And it was great to see Hank up and around and out of the house...FINALLY. They're really developing the groundwork for investigating Gus...

2. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Yeah. That last scene with Hank was great. So glad they are having him go back to his old self.

So based on the series having 8 or so episodes left this season and 16 more future episodes I have to think Gus story line has to wrap up sometime this season. And the final 16 episodes will be involve the cartel & Walt and hank. That is my guess...

3. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    6 left this season. I didn't think the first half was all that great but things are set up for a great final 6.

Interesting that Walt and Skylar go through the whole car wash thing but she never bothered to find out how much cash she would be laundering? Seems like a pretty big plot hole. She obsessed over a bottle of wine and the car and then seemed shocked that he would be pulling in over $7 million a year. I would think when setting up money laundering one of the first things you would want to know is how much cash needs to be cleaned.

I don't know why Gus's prints would be all over Gales apartment, I guess it's not too far fetched that he might have been there.

4. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Walt has a point. Launder what you can and save the rest. I thought the whole point was to make a believable story for how they suddenly had an income far in excess of what a teacher makes, allowing them to actually spend some of that money. There's no need to launder it all if you're not spending it.

5. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    Gus visited Gale's apartment last season to tell him about Walt's "condition", and see how long it would take him to be ready to be in charge of the operation.

6. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    They didn't mention where Gus's print was found in the apartment did they?
    Cause if off the bag (he works there so that is a no go) otherwise surely a WTF for the cops....

7. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Yeah, I froze that frame at the end to see if I could figure out where it came from. Hank, of course, got Gus's print from the cup, but what it matched to didn't look like a bag to me. I couldn't quite figure out what it was...

8. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    So who is going to pull up the episode where Gus was in his Apt and verify he touched something? :)

9. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    He was there. It's not unbelievable that he would touch something. What he touched doesn't really seem to matter.

10. Fassade

Fassade New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    According to the flash-heavy Gale Boetticher case file page at AMC:
    The fingerprint was on Gale's telescope. I don't recall if Gus actually touched the telescope in the scene when he visited Gale's apartment, but a telescope would be something that might not be touched/cleaned for quite some time.

11. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    I see the cash issue as a big F You to Skyler, Walt told her he did not want the car wash, she went ahead with it anyway. I bet Walt could not wait to get to the car wash with all that cash.

"Nobody pays for car washes with fifties" Walt had to have known that all along.

12. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Maybe now Walt can finally get that strip bar he's been wanting ;)

13. MrGreg

MrGreg New Member

May 2, 2003
    I don't know too many strip bars that deal with 50s. Now if he was getting paid in ones ...

14. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
  15. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Sepinwall's observation of the last scene with Hank was spot on -- I noticed this as well...a great ending:

"That little shrug at the end was perfect, because Hank knew he nailed it and didn't even need to gloat about it..."

Another thing about this show: the camera work. Their use of fixed cameras on different moving objects is masterful -- on shovels, lab equipment, etc.

16. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    So Hank got Gus's prints from the cup and then had his cop body run them against all the prints they got from the crime scene?

17. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    Yes

18. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I enjoy Hank's character. I love watching his uncomfortable one-sided "banter" with Gomez. Hank would have a rude awakening if he ever were to learn what Gomez must really think of him. Interesting to reflect, as well, how Hank has screwed over his Police Officer friend without even a moment's hesitation: Hank called in a favor from the friend, asking to help make Marie's klepto predicament go away. In return, the officer asked for Hank's assistance with the investigation of Gale's murder. When he asked, the officer specifically said it was because he didn't want it to become a DEA matter. Hank has completely ignored that (understandably, I suppose), running right back to the DEA with his findings.

Funny to think that Walt's first exposure to the world of meth (and ultimately to Gus) was brought about by his going on a ride-along with Hank in the pilot episode. Now, Hank's taken Walt Jr. on a ride-along involving Gus, as well. The only way I see this show ending is as a tragedy - I suspect there'll be lots of dead supporting characters by the show's conclusion, with Walt finally coming to fully realize just how badly he's screwed up not only his own life but that of those around him. I hope Walt Jr. isn't one of the victims of Walt's choices, but now that Walt Jr. has been brought more directly into Gus' world I suspect his personal doomsday clock just ticked forward a few minutes closer to midnight.

19. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    They should have had the theme song from Shaft playing during Hank's big reveal because Hank was one baaaad shutyourmouth during that scene.

Walt should have just parked the Challenger on the other side of town and let Jr. drive it every once in a while.

20. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't get how Walt is going to hide the car thing from Skylar. She totally emasculated him by calling the dealership and demanding that they take the car back, gave Walt all the instructions for who to talk to when he gets there, and then the car just disappears? What about the registration? Insurance? I can't imagine that Walt can simply make that issue go away without Skylar wondering what happened.

Very interesting to see Gus put in a subservient position when meeting with the Cartel representative. Clearly that issue is going to escalate.

I read somewhere that Aaron Paul said that the first half of this season was a "slow burn," leading up to the second half which is non-stop action. We're now through the slow burn and it should be crazy from here on out. Can't wait.