Breaking Bad "Kafkaesque" OAD 5/16/10

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by billboard_NE, May 16, 2010.

1. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005

Advertisements

I liked how Walt waited for it to be Skyler's idea to give her sister and Hank the money.

2. thebigmo

thebigmo Hot Doughnuts Now!!!

Feb 12, 2005
    Auburn, AL
    Jesse bringing Badger and Skinny Pete to his group session. Low life move of the century or what?

3. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I'm starting to think Pinkman night not survive to see season 4.

4. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Not only is selling drugs at a rehab meeting about the most wrong thing I can think of, it is just plain stupid. He has a job where he can make 6 million a year, and he wants to risk stealing from his boss and selling drugs to junkies? I think Jesse was smarter when he was high all the time.

I'm glad to see Walt figured out exactly what Gus did. I'm still not sure what Gus plans to do with Walt after a few months. I suppose that as long as Walt is taking less than 5% of his revenues, Gus does not have a big motivation to kill him. But Jesse is a liability, and I wonder what Gus will do if Walt tries to prevent Gus from having Jesse killed.

Skylar sure is tough on her men. First Walt, now Ted. Whose balls will she bust next?

5. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB

Advertisements

I think that by the end of the season Skyler and Walt will be back together in some form. Getting together with Ted was only ever about getting revenge on Walt, so that wasn't going to go anywhere. I got the feeling that even though she doesn't necessarily support what Walt did, she at least understands why he did it, and there might even have been a hint of admiration in her voice as she telling the story about his "blackjack system".

I found it interesting that according to the copyright notice in the commercial, Los Pollos Hermanos is actually a subsidiary of a German company (I don't remember its name, but it was a GmbH, which is the German equivalent of an LLC).

6. billboard_NE

May 18, 2005
    Anyone know what the title of the show represents?

7. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I'm so glad the show finally floated gambling as a plausible cover for how Walt came into the money. It bothered me last season, and in season one, that Walt never thought to cover his big deception with a smaller one -- he could have "come clean" to Skylar and claimed he had a gambling problem - especially after the "fugue" - and avoided much of his current imbroglio. It was nice to see this cover finally be utilized. I agree that there was a hint of admiration in Skylar's voice as she spun the lie: I think that she might not have started to really see it from Walt's perspective until that moment. It was interesting to see Walt have a glimmer of hope as he realized this, only to have it shot down with Sklyar's later comment about her belief that Hank's condition was due to Walt and that she's not forgetting it.

I'm not sure I liked the Badger/Skinny Pete in rehab scene so much. It seemed too contrived and complex for their simple characters. I know it was orchestrated by Jesse, but it just didn't ring quite right to me.

RE: Gus -- I'm hard-pressed to think of any other character I've seen on TV that has developed into such a formidable and well-defined force while speaking so little. The man is practically a mime.

8. Carlucci

Carlucci Hiding The Decline

Jan 10, 2001
    Houston, TX

Kafkaesque.

In this episode, Pinkman was describing the working conditions in the "laundrymat" in which he works. The group leader for his NA meeting labeled Jesse's description as Kafkaesque, and Jesse agreed.

I think Jesse's attempt to prey on his fellow NA members is quite possibly the biggest dick move of the whole series so far. I mean, he has to have heard their tales of grief, of having their lives destroyed by drugs. Plus he lived it himself! To lure those people back into their drug addictions just to make a few extra bucks on top of the millions he will already make really makes him unsympathetic to me.

9. billboard_NE

May 18, 2005
    What unit of measurement were they using to weigh the "product" could not have been pounds, or grams??
    I remember seeing 200+ a couple on the scale. I know they wanted to show that there was extra product in every batch, but I do not believe Jessie could lift 200 pounds. Maybe it was a cumulative measurement that added all of the containers.

10. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Pinkman's acceptance that he's the bad guy seems to be going into the extreme.

Bitchin' about having to pay taxes and launder his money
    Feeling like he's not getting paid enough
    Going after the people in his NA meeting as clients.

He's obviously very self destructive.

As for complaining about the money he's not making, doesn't he understand their risk is very low and other people are on the payroll. Dealers need to be paid, bribes to police/politicians, guys that "clean".

11. Carlucci

Carlucci Hiding The Decline

Jan 10, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I think you are right in concluding it was the cumulative total of all the bins. Their contract stipulated 200lbs per week, and Jesse is taking the surplus amount to sell on his own. <Is this stealing?>

12. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    I was thinking about that myself. I think you are right that it is a cumulative measurement. I guess it was about 50 pounds per crate. There was a scene where I think there were 4 crates on a hand truck. I guess those 4 crates were about 200 pounds.

13. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Yes, it is stealing. I assume the lab, the upkeep, and the supplies are paid for by Gus. Walt and Jesse are just employees. Therefore all of the product belongs to Gus.

14. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I loved the commercial at the beginning of the episode, talking about the "secret blend of herbs and spices" and leading into the meth distribution chain involving hiding bags of meth in buckets of fry batter. :up:

15. catcard

catcard MoxiDVR

Mar 2, 2001
    Honey...
    Jesse has really moved to a very low point now - what a jerk! I agree he is just asking to get caught or killed. At this point I hope he does. I used to feel sorry for him but not anymore.

I think Skyler's "admiration" of Walt was just acting. She wanted Walt to pay for Hank's medical bills and just wanted a plausible story for Marie. She does not have admiration for Walt's source of income at all.

16. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Whats the deal with the blue(?) tape on Walt's windshield? I think it showed up after he got the windshield replaced. I've been noticing it for the last few shows.

17. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I think that when you replace a car's windshield, that tape is applied to help keep the windshield from moving while the glue sets. You're supposed to leave the tape on for like 24 hours. Been a long time since I had to replace a windshield, but that's what I recall.

Walt first had the tape after his windshield broke and was replaced. Then, there was an episode where the tape was removed. When Jesse broke Walt's windshield in anger outside of Saul's stripmall law office, Walt had to get his windscreen replaced again as evidenced by the reappearance of the blue tape. It was a nice bit of continuity.

18. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Whoever at AMC that put the guitar twangs in those bumpers at max volume is the only thing I hate about this show. This show has nearly a theatrical amount of dynamic range, and going from whispering voices to unneeded BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBRAAAAAAAAAAAANGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG BUNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG DUNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG at the start of a commercial break is pretty f--king annoying.

19. speaker city

speaker city New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Atlanta, MI
    I don't think Walt wanted to give Marie and Hank any money. If he wanted to help him them out financially, he would have suggested they start up a website like Walt Jr did and make anonymous donations.

I noticed the GmbH too but didn't know what it meant. Nice easter egg. Ever since the show introduced Gus and his front, I've secretly wished Pollos Hermanos really existed. I bet the food is good, the service is professional, and the dining areas are immaculate. Actually, tonight I was in a Jimboy's Tacos (Norcal Mexican chain) and while I ate I pretended I was eating in a Pollos Hermanos :p

I went back and looked and after the opening title we see the scale go from 160 lb to 201.

Jesse is an idiot and lost a lot of my respect tonight. Does he really think he can get away with pocketing product? Self-destructive behavior indeed.

What was up with Walt playing chicken with the big rig? Suicide attempt?

20. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    Was Skylar blaming Walt for Hank getting shot or giving him credit for Hank getting the warning call to save his life? I tend to believe it is the former.