Breaking Bad "Hermanos" OAD 9.4.11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bierboy, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1 of 39
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    :eek: Wow....each week's final scene gets better and better. And, again, awesome cinematography in this one.

I thought I'd missed the first 15 minutes of the show when it started, too.

2. Sep 5, 2011 #2 of 39
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Yeah I was confused at first about the opening too. Great episode. Good backstory on Gus. I haven't seen Steven Bauer for awhile. Sort of a mini Scareface reunion with him and Mark Margolis.

3. Sep 5, 2011 #3 of 39
    markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    that was an awesome episode...glued to the tv with subtitles :)

4. Sep 5, 2011 #4 of 39
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Awesome episode (as usual).

When Gus and his chemist "brother" were asked "why do I need [Gus]?" and it became evident that they wouldn't both be walking away alive, I expected Gus to kill the cook. It would have been a nice parallel to Walter killing Gale.

(Not to revise last thread's blame debate, but yes that's not a typo above - to my mind, Walter killed Gale. Jesse just pulled the trigger).

FYI - the Nerdist podcast just had a hour plus interview with Bryan Cranston. Fun to listen to.

5. Sep 5, 2011 #5 of 39
    pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    Can someone explain to me again why Steven Bauer's character let Gus live? The line was something like "The only reason you're still alive is because I know who you are." It didn't all jive for me. To me it would have made sense to kill Gus, who had the role that Bauer's character did, business, and leave the cook alive to make the meth.

tk

6. Sep 5, 2011 #6 of 39
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Gus' past in Chile is a mystery right now (to us as well as to Hank), but the implication is he was someone important in the Chilean drug trade. Bauer's character knew of him by reputation and spared him out of professional courtesy. At least that's how I understood it.

7. Sep 5, 2011 #7 of 39
    Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    That's how I took it,too.

We don't yet know why Gus was spared; it wasn't fully answered.

8. Sep 5, 2011 #8 of 39
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    So when Walter pleas with Gus that he and Jesse are basically a package deal, Gus has obviously been through a similar scenario in his own past.

I thought that young Gus was spared because he is more well-known as the Chicken Man, whereas the cook was not. But since they were both speaking about the menu, I could be wrong. I'm sure there's more to the story which will be revealed before long.

It's amazing what lighting (or shading) can do to make Gus appear younger (besides the wig). The sun was always to his back from our perspective, which hides any lines.
    And his poor cook "brother"/partner ... he needed that hole in his head like he needed another hole in his head. :(

9. Sep 5, 2011 #9 of 39
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    What a great episode. The best show on tv right now but you never have a good feeling after watching an episode.

I guess Hector didn't save his money wisely.

10. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think Gus was either involved in the drug trade, or involved in the former Chilean government.

11. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I think if he were part of the government, there'd be a record of him.

12. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Not if he changed his name, entered Mexico with false documents. If he was part of the government, that's not too outrageous.
    The cartel probably figured out who he was, so Gus went back exterminating things that could link him to his old identity.

13. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    strange...the Sepinwall blog comments are mostly from readers discussing the gay undertimes about Gus and his "partner" which I didn't see at all.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Gus did make a mention of the Chilean government. It wouldn't be a surprise if he is involved.

15. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think Gus was simply mentioning that during that government's administration, they committed a lot of atrocities and didn't keep great records, so Hank shouldn't be surprised that he was unable to find a record of him. I don't think there was any implication that Gus was involved in the government.

16. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    My theory is that Gus had familial connections with people whom Don Eladio did not want to upset, perhaps due to fear of starting something between the families or out of respect because of some arrangement he had with them. I don't think he cared about Gus so much as what would happen if he did something to him.

17. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    Thanks, that helps.

tk

18. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I could buy that.

19. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    If that was the case, then wouldn't Eladio be afraid to upset Gus and leave him alive? Wouldn't that lead to the possibility of reprisals? I think it's something else.

But I do NOT buy the gay rumor from Sepinwall's forum. Gus may be a loner, but that may have more to do with the idea that loved ones would always be at risk in the drug world.

20. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I'm really puzzled where the gay thing comes from. I didn't get that vibe at all. Some people see gay in any male bond anymore. It's rather ridiculous.

This episode was another great one. Normally in movies/tv I get annoyed and easily distracted when forced to read that much subtitle conversation to follow what's happening but I was glued to them here.

Thoughts on the text to Jesse that Walt saw?

I really love Hank piecing things together about Gus. I truly think the only reason he's not suspicious of Walt is the closeness of their relationship. He's going to feel like such an ass when it all comes out.