Breaking Bad - 9/11/11 - "Bug"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by VegasVic, Sep 11, 2011.

1. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Great episode. It was a little too easy to get off the hook (at least temporarily) with the IRS. But it's going to be a wild ride with these final four episodes.

2. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Walt deserved the beating he got from Jesse.

Walter considers his recipe to his intellectual property. I'm surprised he didn't attack Jesse just for that.

3. SocratesJohnson

SocratesJohnson New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Bedford, TX
    If Walt only knew how lucky he was that Jessie didn't go through with the plan to kill Gus. I'm thinking he wouldn't like dealing directly with the cartel when they came looking for "their" cook!

4. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    Kudos to Jessie for sticking up for Walt. But I'm surprised he didn't think about the fact that teaching anyone else how to make Blue increases the chances that Gus no longer needs him and Walt.

With how quickly things went south between Walt and Jessie, if we hadn't seen the sniper or Gus making the phone call to the cartel, I would have thought Gus had set the whole thing up.

5. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    "What if the equipment is in, like, Mexican instead of English?"....

6. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I am torn. I liked the episode but part of me prefers when Walt & Jesse are friendly with each. I figured their relationship would eventually blow up but I don't see how it comes back at this point. If they are fractured it gives Gus and all a major leg up.

7. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Nah...plenty of time to kiss and make up. And, that fight...up until Jesse repeatedly punched Walt...was like two little girls fighting...

8. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Yeah I don't know why Walt thinks that killing Gus solves anything. Whether it looks "natural" or not, removing Gus removes any protection Walt has. While Walt told Skylar he was "working on it" regarding an exit strategy there really isn't one in this business. I guess going to the cops and into witness protection is one possible solution but I sure hope this show doesn't go that route.

Lots of ways this can play out. I'm sure Gilligan won't let us down :)

9. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Walter is in the dark about the war between Gus and the cartel. When Jesse mentioned it to him I believe Walter just saw it as ******** Gus was feeding Jesse to drive a wedge between them.

I think Walter believes removing Gus would somehow make Walter his own boss. He would just come in, cook, and leave. The distribution and selling of the drugs would go to Mike, or who ever else is high up in Gus's business.

Witsec would only be a reasonable option to Walter if Gus started killing those close to Walter to control him. Going into witsec would mean Walter would have to forfeit all his earnings, and stop being a bad ass.

10. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Walter definitely was getting too full of himself "I'm the one who knocks...". Getting a beat down from Jesse could/should be the reality check he needs.

11. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I love how after all this time Jesse still refers to and calls Walter "Mr White!" :D

And LOL @Skylar-"Do you guys use the Quicken? ... It's like having a calculator on your computer!" :p;)

12. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Obviously Walt doesn't think Mike would kill him 30 seconds after Gus dies. I do.

I'm at the point now where I hope Walt gets his ass kicked every episode.

13. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    She plays a dumb blond convincingly...I thought she was gonna whack the auditor in the face with her boobs...:D

14. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    It always reminds me of Reservoir Dogs

15. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Walter doesn't want to cook anymore. Killing Gus is his "exit strategy".

But once Gus is gone (I believe it will happen in some manner), I wouldn't be surprised if "Heisenberg" suddenly comes up with some grand ideas and tries to convince Walt to stay.

16. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    :confused: Walt is Heisenberg.

17. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I believe Jeeters knows that and was making a point...

18. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    wow, if only it was so easy to get out from under a criminal investigation by the IRS ;)

So will Ted's debt be paid off by Skylar, or will Ted "mysteriously disappear" or will his troubles cause the downfall of the White empire?

19. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I do think that Ted's debt will be paid off by Skylar, and I also think that there will be fallout (maybe major fallout) from this. Walt will inevitably find out about what Skylar has done, and he won't see it from Skylar's perspective (saving Ted was necessary because if Ted is investigated then Skylar is investigated and if Skylar is investigated then the house of cards will topple). Instead, Walt will see it as a further cuckolding. Only this time it's worse - this time, its not just "IFT" -- from Walt's perspective it'll be "I (Skylar) took the money you have put your life on the line to earn to provide for your family, and I gave it away to help out the person I F'd." It'll be crazy.

I don't think that it will cause the downfall of the Walt empire, though. Nor will Hank, ultimately. From a storytelling perspective, Walt's downfall will be something more directly related to his hubris. Ted's too far removed from that. Hank's arguably closer, because the only reason Hank is back on the case is because of Walt's hubris at the dinner table a few episodes back.

Overall, I thought this was a great episode. I spent most of it thinking that Walt's cancer had returned and that that was the reason for the blood dripping during the opening scene. Watching the episode, I thought that Walt bumming a cigarette off of Jesse, and then saying "we are both dead men" were also foreshadowing this. The scene at the chemo center a few episodes ago, the scene with Walt re-shaving his head, and the scene with Walt Jr. asking Walt about the results of his exam all had me believing that he's not in remission any more, and I thought for sure that this episode it was going to come to the foreground again. So I was very surprised by the end of the episode, where it turned out that the blood was from a Walt/Jesse fight. Great fight, too.

20. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Yeah I can see Skylar paying off the debt and that causing some problems.

I sure hope the IRS doesn't cause the unraveling of the business. While that certainly could happen in "real life" it makes for boring TV. And with 20 episodes left there is a long way to go.