Breaking Bad 7/17/2011 (S04E01) "Box Cutter"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Jul 18, 2011.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

I felt Gus's actions were pretty predictable. Though I thought there were a few times when the guy (forget his name) who was holding Jessie and Walt at gunpoint was either (a) going to just shoot the guy (forget his name, too -- the one Gus ultimately killed), or (b) shoot Gus.

I still have a general feeling he'll be the one to shoot Gus. Walt will probably manipulate the situation to get to that point.

2. Casual

Casual Member

Jun 18, 2007
    While I will agree Gus' actions were predictable, the scene was amazing! The suspense was at an all time high and the fact Gus remained silent during the whole ordeal made it all the better.

I still dont know how to feel about Skylar being "in on it". She's such an unlikable character. I wouldn't have minded her being killed off.

3. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Agreed, Skylar can go anytime. So can the Hank storyline.

4. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I agree with everything you said. I wasn't surprised by what happened, but it was a great scene.

5. calitivo

calitivo Active Member

Dec 5, 2002

Advertisements

Really good episode considering how great season 3 ended. Liked how Gale's admiration for Walt's formula ultimately led to his own death and how Victor was killed only because he was seen by others at Gale's apartment. They had to somehow get Walt and Jesse back into an working arrangement with Gus and that felt realistic in how it played out. Jesse didn't say anything the entire episode until that comment he made to Mike about whether the acid would work. Love the subtle dark comedy.

For those not liking Skylar and Hank, supposedly there is a lot more of them this season. The Skylar complaints seem similar to problems people have with Mad Men. Hank was great last year, but am worried his recovery is going to get repetitious.

They didn't seem to give us an arc like in season 2 (the bear and the 737) and season 3 (the cousins). Biggest clue was Walt recognizing that Gus would find another cook at some point, so a showdown with Gus seems inevitable.

6. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Gus killed that guy because he failed to prevent Jesse from killing Gail? I forget, from the end of last season, was that what Gus tasked him with? I really don't remember much of the last ep of last season, but at least the recap explained a bit. What happened to the one Mexican cartel/assassin/out-for-vengeance dude that got his legs amputated by the car? Was he still alive in the hospital at the end of last season?

I was somewhat surprised, or rather shocked, when Gus slit the guy's throat. Yikes. Although, seeing Gus strip down and suit up in the orange suit clearly foreshadowed bloodshed in the immediate future.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gus, or somebody, kill Skylar. She's a loose end, even if she doesn't know all the details. Her nosy, busybody character is just annoying.

I wonder who is going to find the lab notebook in Gail's apartment? With Hank sidelined, will they introduce a new bloodhound cop character to go after Heisenberg?

In the apt, I was surprised the bullet entered and exited his face and then still punched a hole in the tea kettle. I'm sure the bullet they recovered will have some relevance in the future.

[edit] Ahh, Victor was killed because others had seen him at the apt. That makes more sense.

7. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Watching the contents shift (disolve) gave me the heebie jeebies.
    [​IMG]

8. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I think they made is very obvious that Victor was dead the second he started making a batch and thinking he knew how to run things. Also didn't help that coming back from commerical it warned of INTENSE violence which isn't normal so I knew something was coming and didn't think they would kill Jessie or Walt. So it had to be Victor.

9. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    And then his only words are "Well? Get back to work." Wow.

10. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    It was a very powerful scene, but I ruined it for myself a bit because as Gus methodically changed his clothes and shoes I made an association with "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood," and then as the scene played out I had "Please Won't You Be My Neighbor" going through my mind.

Presumably the "Lab Notes" book will be found, but I wonder if it will wind up helping rather than hurting things. Maybe the authorities will assume that Gale was Heisenberg, and that Heisenberg was killed? Could take some pressure off Walt.

I too wish a speedy recovery for Hank. Its frustrating to see him bed-bound. He's a great character, maybe too great and that's why he's always being hobbled by the writers. (Panic attacks, the gunshot wounds, etc). Functioning at full capacity he'd figure things out and take down Walt in short order. So Vince Gilligan has to come up with continuous reasons to sideline him. Frustrating, though. I feel for his character.

11. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I was not 100% tracking why Victor was offed but I guess being seen is enough reason. Victor knew full well that he was "just another looky-loo," and after all fo these years he had to know to stay low to keep from exposing Gus - Victor showed up at Pollo Hermanos often, right?

How did Gus know what happened when we see that no one in the lab is talking?

How about Jesse just sitting there in his car after the shooting?

The words the season will be built on are Jesse's: "Can't kill you but can make it so you wish you were dead."

Can you imagine how much money Gus has to be bringing in? "$8 million in equipment..." No wonder he owns a laundry. :D Gotta clean that money somehow. It doesn't add up that that an investor/owner of that level works in one of the stores. Most real franchise or chain restaurant owners would be working at home and just collecting the sales reports. (I worked at the home of a guy who owned a bunch of McDonald's)

12. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    The bald older guy Mike, who works for Gus, called Gus. They showed him make some comment like "time to get it over with", being the call to Gus. He then picked up the cordless phone they have in the cook room. We can assume that guy told Gus about Victor during that call.

I was surprised by that too. When Victor started running, I thought maybe he saw Jesse off in the distance. I was surprised he was just sitting a couple feet away.

It was established in season 3 that Gus travels around to his different businesses. Walt went into the chicken place looking for Gus and the manager said he splits his time between all the chicken places. That was why Gus was not there that day.

13. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Probably some combination of the following possible reasons.
    • If Victor was killed for being seen at the crime scene:
      I assume Gus has "friends" in law enforcement. He probably asked what info they had on the murder and was informed that the people that called it in saw a man come in to the apartment, looked around, and then left.
    • If Victor was killed for failing to protect Gail:
      He failed. Nuff said.
    • If Victor was killed to prove a point to Walter and Jessee:
      Message received!

14. calitivo

calitivo Active Member

Dec 5, 2002
    From Grantland's Q&A with Vince Gilligan on the first episode...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/holly...vince-gilligan-on-last-nights-season-premiere

Q:At first viewing, slashing Victor’s throat seems strictly like Gus making a brutal point to Jesse and Walt, but Victor wasn’t totally undeserving of punishment.

A:The audience has every bit as valid an opinion as I do, but for what it's worth, I think what happened was that Victor made two mistakes: He let himself get seen at the house, and we can tell from the early going that that seems to worry Mike. The other thing is, it's a bit of an affront to Gus that Victor added insult to injury by thinking he could cook Walt's formula. This is a guy, we learned from the teaser, who wants the best. He doesn't want just some well-intentioned schmo who's not a chemist cooking the formula.

15. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Some REALLY good additional comments and video here.

I'm also in the camp of REALLY hoping Hank recovers quickly...don't like that storyline...

Skyler can stay....she's nice to look at....

[​IMG]

16. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Well, now that she's not totally pregnant, or just given birth. They have made her look a little better in this first episode.

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Wow, that scene was intense. For some reason, it never occurred to me that Gus would off Victor. It makes sense, but I hadn't really thought it through at that point. I was just so engrossed in the scene and wishing Walt would shut up. I thought the juxtaposition of silence=power vs. diarrhea of the mouth=weakness was very well done.

Like everyone else, I'm not loving the Skylar and Hank storylines, but I trust the writers and know they'll keep it interesting.

18. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I was surprised that Gus killed Victor. It looked to me like Mike was surprised too.

What was up with the lawyer looking for bugs and asking the security guard if he had a passport?

I hope they connect Hank to this storyline soon, real soon. Not only is he miserable but he treats his wife like crap. Not fun tv.

I thought it was interesting that Walt was full of bravado and Jesse was catatonic until Gus killed Victor. Then Walt goes catatonic and Jesse starts to come back to life.

19. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    Probably the first time we have seen Walt scared. We all knew Gus was crazy scary, we just never saw it until this episode.