Breaking Bad 5/30 "Abiquiu"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by speaker city, May 31, 2010.

1. speaker city

speaker city New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Atlanta, MI

Advertisements

So I guess the big question is what mistake was Gus referring to at dinner? Was he referring to Jesse or Skyler?

2. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm guessing he means Jesse. Skyler's involvement this episode was necessary (and Gus had to realize its inevitability), but I'd still like to see her bumped off...she annoys the hell out of me.

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm not sure how Gus would know about Skylar. I think Gus is talking about Walt insisting on working with Jesse.

When Skylar was coming up with a place for Walt to buy, that had a "Danny" who had to comply because otherwise he'd be busted for cooking the books, I thought she was going to suggest Walt invest in Beneke's business.

Glad to see Jesse at least had a few scruples and didn't give meth to the chick with the kid who is trying to clean up her life. And it will be very interesting to see what he does now that he knows who killed his buddy and what crew he's up against.

4. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Maybe he meant letting a fly get in the lab! :D

But seriously, I agree, Gus was thinking of Jesse. And speaking of Jesse, what do you make of his concern for the child? I think he has one odd set of ethics. He has no problem with selling drugs to members of his rehab group, even a nice lady who pathetically tells him between kisses that she cannot afford to be caught again, until he finds out that she has a child. Then suddenly he is outraged! :eek:

5. speaker city

speaker city New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Atlanta, MI

Advertisements

Well it's been a few days since Jesse pocketed the meth from the lab, and Gus hadn't said anything prior. But the day after he and Skyler meet with Saul, the batphone rings and Gus wants to have dinner. Although now I'm thinking maybe Gus heard Jesse and Walt arguing about Jesse stealing in the lab and then decided to invite Walt to dinner. I didn't record this episode so someone else will have to verify the timeline.

I also thought she was gonna suggest "investing" in Beneke Fabrication.

Jesse has a soft spot for kids. Remember "Peakaboo"?

6. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    Looks like Skyler is interested in Walt again. She never filed the divorce papers, and she had little interest in getting together with Ted. Hey if she is involved in cooking the books for Ted, she may as well do it for Walt and profit by it.

7. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I loved Saul trying to butter up Skylar-she sooo has no patience for his BS! :p

8. jstack

jstack New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    With only two episodes left, I hope they plan on picking up the pace.

9. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    When they started talking about "investments," I wondered when that car wash was going to come back into the picture.

Does Gus have a big enough kitchen?! Do we know if he has a family like Walt?

10. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Gus said his kids wouldn't eat the fish stew (paila marina) he was making so he didn't get to make it very often...

11. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Right. And even before he said that, you could see children's toys in the house as they walked in.

12. DMHinCO

DMHinCO Blithering Idiot

Dec 14, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I thought a strange scene was Walt and Skylar laughing together when their kid asks for a car. Walt has had no sense of humor, and hasn't even laughed or made a joke, in any episode I can remember. He is under tremendous pressure and laughing with his (ex-ish) wife was a bit out of character.

"...just the right amount of dirty." Saul is great.

13. catcard

catcard MoxiDVR

Mar 2, 2001
    Honey...
    Skylar sure made a big change in her attitude/ethics! Now she's all for Walt cooking meth and making the big bucks. I think she would be a good choice to run the car wash for the money laundering.

I was happy that Jesse decided not to push the drugs on Andrea. I was wondering how low he was going to go. Interesting that his buddies are really getting into the 12 step program and they want to bring Jesse into the fold :)

Wanna bet Walt Jr. gets the Mustang he wants?

14. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I turned to Google to try to figure out the title of this episode (Abiquiu). I had assumed it was a phonetic spelling of "ABQ" (short for Albuquerque, and the title of one of last season's episodes), just like an episode earlier this season was "I See You" (ICU) - the episode with several significant scenes set in the ICU.

Turns out there's a town in New Mexico named Abiquiu. It was Georgia Okeefe's hometown. Thus the callback to Jesse and Jane visiting the Okeefe exhibit at the start of the episode.

15. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think the timeline is that important. I think Gus didn't have to hear them talking about it in the lab. Gus is a smart enough businessman to figure it out on his own. Frankly, I think if Gus and Walt could talk openly, I think Gus would encourage Walt to buy a business and use it to launder money. That's exactly what Gus is doing. Surely Gus has more than one "Danny" working for him.
    Most definitely. Walter Jr. gave too many details about the car he wanted ('71 Mach 1 Fastback, lime green with a shaker hood). I immediately thought, "that's one of the producer's dream car, and they wrote it into the show so they could buy it with the show's budget and then buy it from the show after the show has expensed and depreciated it."
    Thanks. I wondered what that meant (wondered if it was Hispanic slang for Albuquerque and that was the area of town where Jesse bought the meth from the kid), but was too lazy to look it up.

16. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    I think Jesse is trying to convince himself that he is the "bad guy" but in reality he is not. Will be interesting to see if he goes after the gang bangers in the next episode. Maybe he figured this would be a better way to show how bad he really is and uses it as an excuse to not sell the girl drugs but still keep this bad guy image of himself going.

17. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    What I didn't understand was why Badger and Skinny Pete didn't branch out. Perhaps they originally thought selling to recovering addicts would be easy. But they found out it wasn't easy. So why just stop and assume you've failed? Why not try and find active users to sell to? And I didn't understand why Jesse didn't point this out to them when they voiced their concerns.

18. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Given how we see him working at Los Pollos Hermanos, Gus is his own Danny.

I got a kick out of how Badger and Skinny Pete are going through the 12 steps on their own...

19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    But given the size of his organization, he's not the only one involved in covering up the fact that Pollos is a front for drug distribution. We even saw a few episodes ago how the meth is packaged inside tubs of chicken batter and a black-light stamp is put on the lid to identify the tubs containing the goods. Gus obviously wasn't operating that production line by himself.

20. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Since Badger and Skinny Pete cannot be relied upon to sell, I think once Jesse calms down about his dead dealer's killers, he may try to become their supplier ... which would be yet another bad decision on Jesse's part.