Breaking Bad 5/23 "Fly" *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Neenahboy, May 24, 2010.

1. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA

Advertisements

Not really your classic Walt and Jesse cooking episode, but poignant all the same. Walt realized he'd lost control, tried fruitlessly to regain it the only way he could, then was forced to confront that which made him go off the deep end in the first place.

Going back to last week when we discussed whether Walt would openly call for Jesse's death to Gus...Walt finally acknowledged the inevitability of it all. He won't advocate it, and he certainly won't do it himself (he had the golden opportunity holding the ladder), but I don't think he'd even feel bad about it after tonight. He's made his peace with his role in Jane's death, and any guilt he had that might have been the last shreds of his tie to Jesse are now gone.

This needs to be Bryan Cranston's Emmy episode. That was just fantastic.

2. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Parts of it were like a non-animated cartoon -- the Walt and Jesse show!

It was strange that most of the episode it was Walt who was insane and Jesse was the voice of sanity, but right at the end Walt makes the astute comment that if Jesse is stealing from Gus, then Walt cannot protect him. And Jesse makes the insane comment that he does not need protection. It is like they have only one bit of sanity between them, but only one of them can utilize it at a time.

3. speaker city

speaker city New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Atlanta, MI
    I didn't care for this episode at all. In fact, I'm wondering if they intentionally made this filler episode to air on the night of the Lost finale.

4. Tivortex

Tivortex Cherished Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Colorado
    At first I thought it was the worst episode so far.

By the end I was convinced it was the most powerful episode so far. The sense of foreboding in the last seconds was masterful.

Neenahboy, nice analysis of the episode.

5. jrinck

jrinck Certified Neurotic

Nov 23, 2004

Advertisements

This is either going to be the Jump the Shark episode, or one of the episodes you always remember positively.

Part of me was waiting for the fly to drop in a vat, and then all of the users that got that batch would turn into Brundleflies. :D

6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'd like 90% of that hour back.

7. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    Good episode to put up against Lost.

However they should have aired "Fly" the week after "One Minute" the difference in pacing would have been cool. Now I am just anxious to get things rolling again.

8. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    My husband called this episode a "jump the shark" moment, but I thought it just showed how tightly wound Walt is. Loved that Jessie was the voice of reason in this, until he got caught up in the obssession about the fly and then bought into the chase.

Really liked the role reversal there for a while, with Jesse taking care of Walt for once. Then at the end when Walt rolls down the window and issues the warning about stealing, Jesse falls right back into his usual role defensive/punk role.

But, overall, I enjoyed the dynamics between them in this episode.

Cheryl

9. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    At the very end with the blinking red light... Is Walt being bugged?

10. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    That was my question. Was that a camera?

11. pdhenry

pdhenry Oh, my aching back

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I think it was intended to be the pilot light on a smoke detector. They flash, but not that fast.

It also apeared at the start of the episode.

12. aRKade

aRKade New Member

May 22, 2002
    Farmington, MN
    Wow, sounds like this is either a love it or hate it episode for everyone. I for one loved it. Excellent acting by both Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston. I thought the ladder scene was almost as tense as the end of "One Minute".

I see this as Walt's cancer being back. I know he told Jesse he was checked out recently but cancer is a b!t¢h and can do bad things pretty quickly. I think this might also explain his sleep issues and erratic behavior in this episode. I mean, come on, you are freaking out about a fly in the lab when you used to cook meth in a grungy camper in the middle of the desert?

13. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Wow - first time I have ever fallen asleep during an episode of Breaking Bad...ever. Definitely a filler episode but didn't realize it was because of Lost. I always watch this on Monday so I can get it in HD (thanks DirecTV) so didn't think about the conflict with Lost on Sunday. Now it kind of makes sense, I guess.

I know they were trying to do a similar episode to the one where Walt and Jessie are stuck in the desert together with the dead battery (where it is only the two actors the entire hour) but this premise was just stupid. The one in the desert was one of their best episodes. Put me on the list for this one being their worst.

14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I loved this episode. There was so much dramatic tension. First, the tension when Walt was trying to get the fly by himself and ultimately falls off the railing. And then later with Jesse, when you think that Jesse is going to fall off the ladder, or that Walt is about to spill the beans about his role in Jane's death.

I can appreciate that some of you didn't like it, because it didn't advance the plot, but since this show is ultimately about the characters, and specifically about the characters of Walt and Jesse, this was a great episode for delving deeper into each of them and fleshing them out even more.

15. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I agree with you.

Another aspect was that it was a rare moment when Walt opened up to Jesse. Normally he bites his tongue and doesn't reveal anything about his thoughts. But sleep deprivation and sleeping pills in his coffee obviously opened up a spigot.

One thing that I had trouble with was that a smart guy like Walt would think that a clipboard could be any sort of effective fly swatter. The air current around the moving clipboard would push the fly away every time. I would have looked for an elastic band to shoot at the fly. It works around my house.

16. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    definitely my least favorite BB episode from any season. not a "jump the shark" moment, but disappointing.

17. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    You probably liked the Lost series finale. :)

18. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Woof.

To me, it was just weak writing. Didn't seem to match any of the style we've had the pleasure to witness all season.

I think more than just the lab was contaminated a bit by this episode.

19. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I can appreciate the episode for the character development, but to me it wasn't the most enjoyable. It made me think of many times people would complain about episodes of Lost or The Sopranos that didn't "advance the story" and it felt like this was one of those.

I also thought the fly at the end was some sort of hint about his cancer, like Jesse was saying about his aunt and the opossum.

20. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Same here. How/where do you watch it? I get it on Amazon On Demand, and wasn't able to watch it until last night due to connection issues. Been meaning to ask for a refund, but no biggie, just a shorter wait until the next one.