Brave New World (Peacock) - Season 1 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, Jul 17, 2020.

1. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio

Advertisements

I've watched the first 2 episodes and so far I'm really loving it. I can't believe Bernard is the same actor that played Viserys Targaryen. What a difference hair makes. I'll check back on the thread after I finish the others! Tell me your thoughts on the season!

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He's been in a number of other things (Counterpart jumps immediately to mind), and this seems to be his default character (mildly weaselly nerd, who would be evil if he were more ambitious or capable).

3. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    Yeah, I recognized him from Counterpart as well. There seemed to be some overlap between that character and this one.

4. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I've only seen him in a show called Hang Ups since GOT. Honestly I think it was his voice more than his face that clued me in.

5. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio

Advertisements

Also if you read the book, note this show is not an adaption of the book but I'd say more like very loosely based on the book. I still like it so far but if you're expecting it to match, you're going to be very disappointed.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, as I said in another thread, it almost reminds me more of Westworld than Brave New World.

Not that there's anything wrong with that! ;)

photoshopgrl likes this.
  7. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Didn't one of the networks do a min-series based on the book decades ago?

8. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
  9. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

Maybe it is a book for the times:
    Social critic Neil Postman contrasted the worlds of Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World in the foreword of his 1985 book Amusing Ourselves to Death. He writes:

What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Huxley added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we hate will will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we love will ruin us >
    Brave New World - Wikipedia

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And now Orwell and Huxley have teamed up, to give us modern society...

Craigbob likes this.
  11. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Amusing Ourselves To Death. Another of my favorite books. I guess we have a reason these three are among them for me. They all kind of go together in some way.

Also finished the season last night. I really don't know what to think at this point. Waiting for other people to give their thoughts.

12. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

I watched the first episode and I enjoyed it but I am slightly wary of watching more, I have a feeling I won't enjoy the last episode.

Also I usual disregard forum claims of logic flaws in a tv show and seek to find explanations but I am troubled by how the Epsilon hit the ground where he did, I think it would have taken more than a jump, I think it would have taken a flying leap and I did not think there was enough room to do that and I can't come up with an explanation.

13. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    The Epsilon in the show are focused on so much where in the book, next to nothing. The ending was obviously changed so they could have another season. I am trying to figure out why they pretended nobody knew anything outside of New London and Savage Land in the show. Still processing I guess.

14. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Watched an episode... didn't pull me in for more. Sorry.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, you SHOULD BE!! I am personally OFFENDED!

;)

jakerock, jasrub and MScottC like this.
  16. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Before that, NBC did a TV movie in 1980. I guess they still had the rights. I thought the cheap plastic art design fit in perfectly with the theme of the story.

17. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    We are shown in the last couple of episodes that epsilons, at least, are much stronger than normal homo sapiens of our time; they are able to easily push blunt sticks through human bodies, for instance. To do that they would need to be about as strong as a chimpanzee, I would estimate. Since epsilon's do heavy manual labor downstairs, and beta's have been editing their genes for about 200 years, to me this seems reasonable.

By the end of the season we know without any question it was a suicide, so a long jump over the railing is reasonable.

18. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I watched the first episode, and there's a LOT of Logan's Run in this thing. You would think the set designers worked on the film.

19. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    I've been thinking about the series for a couple of weeks now. Unfortunately, I didn't find myself drawn to any of the characters. They are all top-notch actors but I didn't feel that any of them had any chemistry with each other. That said, I would kill to try out some soma.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  20. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    But which color? They never really explained the differences between them, except that red was supposed to be a bit more "special." The dispensers everybody had appeared to carry a variety of Soma pills but they just popped whatever came out of the dispensers. I'm starting to think everyone was just hooked on Skittles and wanted to keep that sugar buzz going as long as possible.