Brand New TIVOHD

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mattyro7878, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Apr 2, 2020 #1 of 21
    mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    There is a brand new still in the box TivoHD on EbaY for $95. Can it be added to my account? I was under the impression only lifetime boxes can be added. Also--the two m-cards. What would happen if I only used one? Also...howmany tuners does this thing have if used properly with 2 m-cards? Any other tips would be appreciated.

2. Apr 2, 2020 #2 of 21
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    TiVo will not activate ANY series 3 boxes now. If it already has an active lifetime or monthly sub it can be transferred to your account; otherwise, it is a doorstop. Certainly not worth that exorbitant price even as a parts box.

3. Apr 2, 2020 #3 of 21
    Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Worthless.

The last several HDs with lifetime I picked up were free. They have a max value of $100 for someone who wants to hold them for a potential credit later on, but even that's iffy and you have to go through the trouble of keeping the unit active in order to qualify for the discount if it happens again. Non-lifetimes are for parts only and I can't see anyone actually paying for one.

I say that as still a big fan of the HD; I paid $50 for a modified lifetimed one a year ago, and I'd probably pay close to that again if one comes along. But nobody else really wants them.

4. Apr 2, 2020 #4 of 21
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I would agree. I still love my old S3 boxes - in fact, I think they are far better than the new Bolts, but Bad_Rovi is continuing to try and force us to stop using them. But for $100, I would expect a lifetime sub, a working 1 or 2 TB drive, AND new caps on the power supply.

5. Apr 2, 2020 #5 of 21
    Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    If you're good at board level soldering, or know someone who is, you should look into doing the mod. For Cable TV (if you remember that concept), this makes the Tivo HD the most powerful DVR ever made. EDIT: And the S3 is also worth doing, though less useful for many Cable suppliers because of the mpeg4 limitation.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  6. Apr 2, 2020 #6 of 21
    mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    So the fact that this box has NEVER been activated doesnt give it any special treatment? Again my understanding is that Only LIFETIME series 3 boxes can be added to an account. If this thing has never been used will will the caps have bulged or is that from constant use and current? Any knowledge of how these 2 m-card units work? Can I get by with one?

7. Apr 2, 2020 #7 of 21
    lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago

I'm not good with electrical stuff so I'll leave that to someone else, but I think the capacitors can go bad from non-use too - the paper inside can dry up.

The THD has 2 Cablecard slots - it can support 1 M-Card (multistream) or 2 S-Cards (single-stream). I don't think any cablecos still distribute S-cards, so you'll get one M-card which can decode for both tuners, and just leave the other slot empty (Guided Setup will tell you which slot to use).

If it's not lifetime, it's useless - TiVo will no longer activate service plans for S3/THD's, regardless of previous status. The only exception is lifetime, which TiVo will still allow to be transferred between accounts (since it's not a "new" activation, but just a swap). I also wouldn't expect that to last forever either, though.

8. Apr 2, 2020 #8 of 21
    mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Very helpful. Thank you. So one m-card does the job of 2 s-cards. Got it. All the TIVOHD were just 2 tuners, correct?

9. Apr 2, 2020 #9 of 21
    lhvetinari

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Yes, only with the Premiere 75x series did they move to 4-tuners. The M-card can decode either 4 or 6 tuners, depending on market (It used to be that M-cards were set up to decode for the same amount of tuners as the cableco's biggest DVR in the market - so my L-TWC market with Cisco 6-tuner boxes got 6-tuner SA M-cards) so if you ever switch to a newer TiVo you should be able to use the same card.

10. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Ive got 2 Tivos- a six tuner original Bolt and a six tuner Roamio Plus. Ive always had a thing for the TIVOHD with the green LED. That is why we are where we are. A cheap Premiere XL with 4 tuners would open my wallet as well. I want TE3 but dont want to rollback my boxes. I would swap a box with my Roamio for a few months just for kicks.

11. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I am finding it difficult to pull the trigger on something I simply dont need. There is a Premiere xl for $35 bucks on EbaY. I should grab it. Right out of Long Island. Also why am I buying items that are way past thier expiration date??

12. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Are the capacitors a big issue in The Premiere line as well? Anything specific to look for in a used Premiere??

13. lhvetinari

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Caps are fine in Premieres, but watch the OS, there's some pitfalls:

Anything older than 20.7.2 (if I recall correctly) will NOT update to the current OS on it's own, due to a bug in the Guided Setup process post-Rovi switchover. You'll have to request an image from the Premiere forum and manually use DVRBARS to restore it.
    Images are currently NOT available for 750/758 units, only 746/748, so stick to those if you're worried.

14. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I will follow your advice.

15. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I believe Weaknees is selling HDD's prepared for 750/758 Premiere's. All you have to do is just pop in the HDD; no other work or prep necessary. I belive it comes with a warranty. This is an option for some.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  16. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Sure about that? I don't see how it could be completely plug and play. As the drive has to be "married" to the Tivo. Only way I know to do that is run clear and delete everything. Or if you actually send the Tivo to WK so they can marry the new drive to the Tivo. The drive would probably seem to work (Premieres are strange that way, can actually put in a drive from another same model Premiere and it will work, temporarily), but as soon as you power down/up or even just restart all recordings will be deleted. WK does definitely know what they are doing though, maybe read their instructions on how to install one of their replacement Premiere drives, see if it includes running a clear and delete everything to marry the drive to the Tivo.

Not sure what WK charges for a Premiere drive but you can buy used lifetime Premieres for $125 to $200 or so depending on model. Though I think based on what I hear now you'd need to ask what OS is currently installed since older ones will not update and could even brick the Premiere if you run clear and delete. If ya get a good one I'd create an image or make a copy/clone of the drive for backup.

17. Series3Sub

Mar 14, 2010
    No question, Weaknees is expensive for its "service," but for some, it may be worth it. Well, Weaknees is selling a NEW HDD ready to be put into the particular Premieires we are discussing. I did not check to see there was also the option of sending in the TiVo so that Weaknees can transfer all your recordings to the new drive. That option should be listed below the HDD's listed with least expensive option of being shipped the HDD and kit at the very bottom. The kit includes the HDD and screwdrivers and instructions and requires no other preparations or using a PC.

As from what I remember on Weaknees website of some weeks ago, the prepped dives and kit (if one wants the less expensive option of NOT sending in the TiVo, but rahter have Weaknees, send the prepped drive and kit and have the consumer open the box and exchange the drive themselves) was stated as all ready to go and no need for a PC nor any other preparation other then what Weaknees does before they ship it to the consumer.

Since you have legitimate questions, I would advise going to the Weaknees website and see for yourself to your satisfaction and let us know if it is true. Also, you can call them using telephone number they post on their website ask all the qurestions verbally and let us know what you learn. Considering how in the past Weaknees had been able to have TiVo's do things that were at time, not supposed to be possible, I take them at their word on their website because if it were not true, we would all have proabaly heard about it and Weaknees receiving legal action from parties who feel they have been scammed or even action from those crazy California AG and politicians. But please, let us know what you find out.

18. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    I wrote to them, sure enough, they say just pop in the drive, first time you power it up it will "marry" to your Tivo.

19. Series3Sub

Mar 14, 2010
    Thanks so much for your confirmation. This is an option for those who can not find an image.

Again, no doubt, the full DYI route for replacing an HDD in a TiVo is far less expensive than even the least expensive Weeknees optoin of prepped HDD kit with proper screwdrivers and instruction to physically replace the HDD's (they have more more options of sending in the TiVo and they do the work, and even saving recorded content and transerring it on to the new HDD for not too much more), but such an expense may be worth it to some people pressed for time or who can afford it.

I do appreciate a fee for a service from a for-profit small business, but considering how cheap good and large storage HDD's are today, the service charge in relation to the HDD's cost (and Weeknees may be getting discounts for its HDD's), seems rather high. Perhaps this reflects what I would expect to have been less business due to the S5-S6 not requiriing any preparation. However, it is an option for those who are willing to pay the higher price, and, as you said, Weeknees does "know what they are doing" and IMHO, are reputable, and we know where they are :).

FWIW, I have replaced my own TiVo HDD's over years, but this time I had opted to purchase a prepped HDD for a Premiere of mine (the model that does have an image available) because I was so overwhelmed with personal matters and I was a few weeks away from the full 6 months since the HDD failed, and I really did want this Premeire to be operational because it was needed, that I just spent the money and moved on. It was a fast and easy process just to open the box, exchange the HDD and power it up.

20. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    If someone buys one I'd recommend cloning (not copy) to another drive. And set the clone aside. BEFORE putting it in the Tivo, ie before it "marries" to a specific box. Since as purchased it will "marry" automatically to the Tivo you put it in a "clone" should marry to any same model Tivo down the road if necessary. And so on, if you put the clone in another or the same Tivo make another clone FIRST. Again CLONE the drive BEFORE putting it in the Tivo, if you do it after it will already be married to the Tivo you put it in.