Brand new hard drive = 4 lights of death/no auto format

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Sinfoman, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Sinfoman

Sinfoman New Member

Feb 13, 2017

Advertisements

Hello all! Well, here I am trying to figure out why when I plug in my brand new HD Samsung ST1000LM024 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NVGWV0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) it gives me the four lights. I thought I had done my homework effectively and found a PMR drive with low cache to replace. Can anyone tell me if I need to format it, perhaps? I don't want to mess with it too much if I need to return it to Amazon. Thanking all y'all in advance!

2. Sinfoman

Sinfoman New Member

Feb 13, 2017
    Well, the saga continues. I tried it twice, got 4 lights flashing. Plugged it in just now (after posting this help piece) and it is apparently formatting the drive. I'll update after guided setup runs. CRAZY.

3. Sinfoman

Sinfoman New Member

Feb 13, 2017
    Installed. Running. I'll update after I've watched a few DVR programs. Sorry for the "false alarm."

Mikeguy, kpeters59 and UCLABB like this.
  4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Congrats! And good to know, not to be overly alarmed but to try again (and again)--thanks.

5. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002

Advertisements

I wouldn't trust that drive at all. We're hearing reports of certain hard drive models being incompatible with the Tivo, especially when running TE4. We're not sure why it is, I'm thinking it's a simple timing issue on startup.

Or it could be you have a defective hard drive that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Either way, I'd return it.

UCLABB likes this.