brand new and need help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Zebra2955, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Zebra2955

Zebra2955 New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Hello everyone I am new to this Tivo so new I am waiting for it to be delivered (bought it online).

I have the following equipment
    DVD player
    RCA HDTV set top box (for OTA tv reception)
    Motorola DSR922 4DTV Satelite reciever (yes a big dish since '85)
    Toshiba 57 in wide screen tv
    Sony STR-DE995 surround sound reciever

I plan on hooking up the Tivo to my home network

Here is my question.

What can I hook up to the Tivo and how would I do it? I would like to know what cables I need so I can have them when the Tivo unit arrives.

I have searched the threads and everyone asks about Directtv and small dishes. Any help would be greatly appreciated>

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Um. Do you have any other programming sources? The TiVo will not work with either the HDTV set-top box nor the 4DTV receiver. (It can record a signal from these boxes, but cannot change the channel on them nor will it have guide data.) What were you hoping to do with the TiVo?

As for hookup, the TiVo output would go to an available input on the Sony receiver (video and audio.) You could run an S-Video (and left/right audio) connection from either the HDTV box or the sat box, if you didn't mind using that box's timer to change channels and then set up a manual recording on the TiVo.

3. Zebra2955

Zebra2955 New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    I plan on recorcing mostly OTA stuff like sitcoms and so forth. Could I hook the RF connector between the Tivo and the Set top HDTV box? I would have no problem with making sure the Sat reciever is on the proper station for recording that. Is this possible?

My Sat reciever has a serial output will that help? It is called a Mutli Media Access Port. It recieves digital signals on some stations.

Any other suggestions?

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If you want to record from both the sat and HD boxes, tell TiVo you have satellite and cable with a box. The satellite box will connect by S-Video (preferably) and l/r audio and use RF to connect the HD box. When you want to record from satellite, choose a channel 100 or higher, and choose 99 or lower for the cable box. TiVo will switch to the appropriate input. You will have to make a manual (time and channel) recording on TiVo and have the sat/HD box set to the right channel.

No, the serial output does not help you.

You may want to consider waiting for the HDTV TiVo that is supposed to be out in a couple of months. This won't help with the 4DTV, but it will record HD directly.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The MMP won't help at all with a TiVo, as it is a proprietary Motorola thing, so fr only for their HD decoder,