Brand new 2016 1000gb Bolt startup and activation...

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by stiege, Jan 18, 2019.

1. stiege

stiege New Member

Mar 22, 2010

Advertisements

I'm going to fire up the 1000gb Bolt I bought in 2016 with a year of subscription paid for. I'm currently running my fios cable card in my premiere xl with lifetime service.

There's no reason hardware wise to upgrade to the latest vox unit is there? Any hints or pitfalls as I fire this up, get it updated (I assume) and then call fios to switch the cable card into this unit?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

2. global_dev

global_dev Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Northern VA
    i think the vox model is the same hardware different color, different remote

the non-vox upgrades to vox with the remote.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    There's been some trouble getting machines updated and setup to post-Rovi if they hadn't been online since pre-Rovi...

But, we've all got our fingers crossed...

-KP

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Do NOT try to go thru full Guided setup until that thing gets the Rovi update - that is what caused folks a lot of problems back around the end of 2016. I cannot totally recall all the details, but the issue seemed to surface when the zip code was entered and the box would say there were no available channel lineups.

Since your box is brand new, I know the first thing it will do is start Guided setup, and it cannot get any update until you get it connected on your network, but I suggest that after it makes the first connection, you just let it set for a couple of hours, and then reboot it so that it will apply anything it downloaded.

I know that sometime in 2017 I did pull a NIB S3 HD unit out and successfully go through this process and posted about how I did it - I'll try to find that post for you .

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  5. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...

Advertisements

Here is my post from when I did the test with the old S3 HD:

Problems using OTA with the 652 models after updates