Bracket Buster sale; ad tile now on carousel

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by wish_bgr, Mar 21, 2019.

1. wish_bgr

wish_bgr Member

Jul 18, 2014
    E8C5B9D2-6783-4E6E-BB95-EE48F7E02103.jpeg

2. andrew1883

andrew1883 Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  3. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    TED!!! TALK PLEASE!!!

4. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Still 404

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    krkaufman and fcfc2 like this.
  6. Dago Red

Dago Red Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    It's amazing how they can't get anything right anymore, the correct URL should be Tivo Bracket Buster Sale! Save Up To $350!

eta: Sorry Joe, just noticed your post above with the correct link. I just wanted to comment on them posting the wrong URL.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    @TiVo_Ted, you may want to have the web team create a redirect so both URLs work.

Code:
    Working: http://pages.email.tivo.com/march-mania-sale-2019
    NOT: https://www.tivo.com/marchmania2019

8. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    What does "bracket buster" suppose to mean???
    I am guessing that it has allot to do with Basketball and March Madness ??
    But wouldn't BUCKET BUSTER make more sense??
    Rim Buster
    Hoop Buster
    Actually BALL BUSTER would be the best choice :confused:

9. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    I don't think the hoop is called a bucket, but in the early days of basketball, peach baskets were used. So maybe basket buster?

But to explain brackets (and allow me a moment to express how delightful it is to find someone even less knowledgeable of sportsball than I am), the whole point of March Madness is, much like any other sports playoff, a series of games is played, with a team being eliminated each time. A brief explanation (I am sure google and/or wikipedia has a much more detailed one) is teams A and B compete, that is one bracket. Teams C and D also compete, that's another. Team A wins their bracket and proceeds to the next, team D wins theirs and also proceeds. Now Teams A and D play each other in yet another bracket.

I understand there is great fun (and no small amount of money) involved in people making their predictions on who will win each game, and therefore fill out a 'personal bracket', much like they create teams in fantasy football.

And with that, my knowledge of sportsball is pretty much exhausted.

skypros likes this.
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It's not a question of beverages but the compulsion to waterboard threads with opinion better suited to threads hashing and rehashing the fate of TiVo. The current deals are typical TiVo deals, and I expect TiVo will get similarly quick results to what they saw during the Presidents Day Sale.

stile99 likes this.
  11. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Not as good as last deal. Which was $280/290 for the 500GB? $450 for 1TB not a bad deal but not nearly as good IMO, $160/$170 just to get 1TB as compared to 500GB. However these are last chance type deals too, probably last for the "regular" Bolts unless they have a few 3TB 6 tuner models around. Overall a decent deal, just not as good as the last one, but the last one was SO GOOD hard to match ;) By the way for people who can live with "just" 1TB if you want to stick with the best possible 2.5 I'd say the WD Black, around $70, those actually have a FIVE year warranty. Got find in open market, some big retailers still have some (Newegg for one) but no longer sold at WD site, in fact VERY few 2.5 internals sold at WD site. I think they are getting out of 2.5 internal market (probably because SSDs are so cheap now, very little demand for a 2.5 "regular" drive).

By the way if you need one of the 500GB refurb Bolts with lifetime I bought two at last sale. One to experiment with (trying different drives), the other I have listed under TC marketplace (for $350). No shipping though, Chicago area pickup only.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Every time I see a "doom & gloom" post/thread I think of Netflix.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    (phoosh...!)
    Netflix?

14. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I think the posters are expressing this is not a good value given the outlook of TiVo.

I happen to agree, I love TiVO, but buying a new one at these prices seems to be not a good decision.

The last deal on the refurb bolt 500 was good, this one is just as bad as the recent Weakneess ones.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... Looks like the VOX Remote is again a discounted add-on w/ this sale -- but just $15 this go-'round.

edit: Hmm... this sale the VOX Remote is just $15 vs the previous $20:
    upload_2019-3-22_13-14-7.png

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just got email about the sale.

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    They're the one that didn't go the way of Blockbuster. In September 2002 their stock was $.69. It's $365 today. Anything can happen.

krkaufman likes this.
  18. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    These are good deals but not quite as good as last time's GREAT deals.

I'm still not ready to retire my Roamio Plus with lifetime. Have no problems with it.

19. OrangeTurtle

OrangeTurtle Member

Jul 17, 2015
    I agree with a couple of the previous posts- not as good as the $280 deal (which I am happy to have grabbed), but definitely a quality “2nd Chance” option.

Also better than buying used on eBay- you can add the warranty option here.

As for being on the way out- everything is on the way out eventually. This tech should last long enough for you to get your money out of it, maybe even longer.

Solid pricing to buy your first and possibly for upgrading from a roamio. I was able to sell my roamio for about $275. Even if you have to pay $150 out of pocket, not a bad upgrade cost.

Best of luck on your decision making process!

lparsons21 and Mikeguy like this.
  20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Interesting observation by a reddit user Re: the "$0 down" offerings...

The sale web page states that the product includes "All-In" service, and that the $0 down plan is just an alternate payment method for the product:

deceptive advertising.jpg

But the actual item in the cart at checkout indicates a monthly service subscription rather than All-In:

actual cart item.jpg

The math is another indication that the checkout description is correct, since 24 months at $15 per is just $360 -- $40 less than the All-In option.

Anyone unfamiliar with TiVo's subscription service plans selecting the "$0 down" option will likely not understand what they're getting based on this ad.

cc: @TiVo_Ted